What’s the most surprising early season happening

What’s the most surprising early season happening?

• Total voters

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Tampa Bay is the only team in the very competitive Atlantic Division with a winning percentage below .500 so far. The Atlantic is going to be a dogfight all season long.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
To me it's Toronto and Montreal having the same record. But it's early for all of it.

Thought the West and the Pacific were going to close the gap a little. Not the case it's so bad.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not all that surprised Montreal started strong. I had a feeling they might. If they do well beyond October? That'd be more shocking. And Toronto being 3-2 is fine..

Matthews started slow last year also

There has to be a team that starts winless - I can see it being Vancouver.

I picked Tampa. But again, it's so early it barely counts..

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think anyone expected the Canucks to necessarily be a "powerhouse"...but to be completely winless at this point, is pretty shocking. Especially given the wave of late-season momentum they had. Even more shocking when you examine how exactly they've managed to squander those potential wins, pretty much every single time. I don't think anybody could've predicted they'd have a historic run of late game implosions costing them wins.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
I don't think anyone expected the Canucks to necessarily be a "powerhouse"...but to be completely winless at this point, is pretty shocking. Especially given the wave of late-season momentum they had. Even more shocking when you examine how exactly they've managed to squander those potential wins, pretty much every single time. I don't think anybody could've predicted they'd have a historic run of late game implosions costing them wins.
I predicted it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I'd say Canucks being the only team having no wins, especially considering they've lead every game and so haven't really gotten destroyed in any of them - their games have looked very different from Coyotes' who just have been completely outclassed.

And the biggest surprise about that might be that Coyotes have one win, considering how terrible they've looked.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
vancouver looked really good last season. surprised they can't keep a lead.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Toronto and Montreal having the same record is the most surprising of those four.

I’m not surprised Tampa is last in the East, as it’s only barely more than a week into the season. I’d be really surprised if they ended the season out of the playoffs though.

Vancouver being winless also isn’t surprising, as they’ve started the season on a five game road trip. They’re a team I thought could either make the playoffs (Pacific is a weak after Edmonton, Calgary and maybe Vegas) or might be as bad as a 500 team.

Auston Matthews has probably had only 1 goal in a 5 game span multiple times in his career (maybe not to open a new season) so I’m not at all shocked.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Toronto was the greatest pretender last season, nothing surprising about midnight falling on that Cinderella.

The Habs easily set the record for most man-games lost to injury last season. No surprise a healthy Habs team is a borderline .500 team.

Matthews looks disheartened and might be just putting in the motions until his contract runs out and he can fly out of town to a preferred destination. A bit surprising perhaps...but the Leafs and depression go hand-in-hand.

The real answer is Tampa. Since they're proven legitimate and really recently haven't seen the need to be dominate in the regular season, I expect them to wake up. They did the same last playoffs, napped to start off, then pimp-slapped Toronto after awakening.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Toronto was the greatest pretender last season, nothing surprising about midnight falling on that Cinderella.

The Habs easily set the record for most man-games lost to injury last season. No surprise a healthy Habs team is a borderline .500 team.

Matthews looks disheartened and might be just putting in the motions until his contract runs out and he can fly out of town to a preferred destination. A bit surprising perhaps...but the Leafs and depression go hand-in-hand.

The real answer is Tampa. Since they're proven legitimate and really recently haven't seen the need to be dominate in the regular season, I expect them to wake up. They did the same last playoffs, napped to start off, then pimp-slapped Toronto after awakening.
A team who's made the playoffs 6 years straight, isn't necessarily a cinderella don't you think?

And I don't know if winning in game 7 by only 1 goal is something I would describe Pimp-slapping.

But you do you man.....

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Tampa lost Palat and McDonagh without replacing them sufficiently and played in 3 straight SCFs, not really that strange they're off to a slow-ish start.

It wouldn't even be super strange if they missed the playoffs (though I think they'll probably make it unless injuries), it's happened before. 95–96 Devils missed the playoffs in a tight conference.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
A team who's made the playoffs 6 years straight, isn't necessarily a cinderella don't you think?

And I don't know if winning in game 7 by only 1 goal is something I would describe Pimp-slapping.

But you do you man.....
I think a team who loses at first opportunity 6 years straight in the playoffs is the poster-child of a Cinderella pretender.

I also think a team dominated in every decisive game is pimp-slapped. Toronto had how many series leads...and Tampa slapped them back time after time.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I called 15 goals for Matthews this year. I'm pretty much on the money right now. He's on pace for 16 goals:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad