WHA could end up helping the NHL devide NHLPA membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
IF the WHA gets off the ground and signs enough NHL players for the 8 teams they claim will start in October what happens to the remaining unsigned NHL vets? The WHA and Europe will insist on full season commitments next year plus NHL players will be expected to walk the picket lines. The WHA could prove to become the NHL's best weapon to devide the PA.

Do you think that more fans will support the WHA with NHL players or the NHL with a combination of temporary players and NHL players that cross the line?

I can't see fans paying good money to support the players that most of us feel have let us down so my vote is for the NHL.

I think the NHL will start over again and take the necessary 3-5 years to rebuild the league with players that share their vision of how to grow the game and make it competitive for all 30 teams.

mini-mite fan

Feb 4, 2005
MN, USA
Personally, I'd support the WHA as much as I could. Reason: it screws both sides of this f'd up NHL thing. Players get to play under an immediate cap & no union. Owners (of NHL teams) loose money.

However, if they (NHL) have to look deep enough for "scabs" - sign my old @ss up! :joker: I'll play 3rd line winger for 1/4th what the former non-stars made. :lol Trust me, NO ONE would pay money to see me play, but I'd have a blast. I'd be like a really well organized "beer league". :dunce:

chiavsfan

Since the WHA will never get off the ground (barely any money, no arena's, etc....etc...etc...) I don't have to worry about supporting it.

And if Recci never signed up for it, but is on their "list" how many others are in the same boat?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
recchi's been removed from their list. i presume the channels of communication got distorted between them.

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/news/20050306000.php

on the fan590 yesterday, mike peca stated that he has expressed his interest to the wha in playing in the tournament, yet isn't listed on their site. i wonder how many other, if any, players have also expressed their interest.

i wish the wha nothing but the best, especially as i feel slapped in the face by the NHL with not only the jets, nordiques & whalers relocating and screwing those fans, but with this stupid lockout, which is screwing all hockey fans.

i hope the league is able to arrange arenas in suitable cities, and can find the financial backing. i'm extremely skeptical, but still hopeful.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
hawker14 said:
recchi's been removed from their list. i presume the channels of communication got distorted between them.

http://www.worldhockeyassociation.net/news/20050306000.php

on the fan590 yesterday, mike peca stated that he has expressed his interest to the wha in playing in the tournament, yet isn't listed on their site. i wonder how many other, if any, players have also expressed their interest.

i wish the wha nothing but the best, especially as i feel slapped in the face by the NHL with not only the jets, nordiques & whalers relocating and screwing those fans, but with this stupid lockout, which is screwing all hockey fans.

i hope the league is able to arrange arenas in suitable cities, and can find the financial backing. i'm extremely skeptical, but still hopeful.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the opening game between the Regina Rinkrats and the Hamilton Hellions. :lol

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I'd play for the right to wear the name on the front of the jersey.

No guarantee of how good I am though...

Might need to throw me into some lessons before I suit up

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
it seems to me that, with the WHA starting up and playing a spring tourney, and europe providing so many options for players, the league is no longer a monopoly and subject to anti-trust laws. If you hear the comments of various owners, they keep talking about the best players eventually comming back to the nhl. That implies that the best players have the option to play elsewhere and that the owners hope to eventually entice them back. The owners are allready talking like they no longer have a monopoly.

IMO, the existance of the WHA might be dooming the current NHLPA.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
hawker14 said:

No surprise, that. The players today are like bloodhounds:

"Arf? What's that? It's... It's... YES! It's MONEY!! Money, Money, Money, Money! Oooh.... [pant] [pant] [pant]..."

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
WHAT SALARY CAP?!! The WHA doesn't have a salary cap! Go to www.worldhockeyassociation.net . It's on their front page!

Jeez
:madfire:

They may not have a set team salary cap but according to Mr. Smith who now owns the WHA there will be one or perhaps two players allowed to make upt to 5 million on each team so in effect it's safe to say that each team will operate on a budget that will likely be less than 15 million.

I'm sure NHL owners would match that offer if the PA so desires.

Listen Bob or Ted you would be better served spending your valuable time figuring out a way to get out of this mess you got your players into than to spend it on HF trying to justify a position that has no justification. What return do you actually hope to negotiate for your players that have given up at least 1.5 billion in salary so far? As you can see from todays offers the longer you wait the less you salvage for your loyal following.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
eye said:
They may not have a set team salary cap but according to Mr. Smith who now owns the WHA there will be one or perhaps two players allowed to make upt to 5 million on each team so in effect it's safe to say that each team will operate on a budget that will likely be less than 15 million.

I'm sure NHL owners would match that offer if the PA so desires.

So, if Sidney Crosby wants $5.1 million he's out of luck?
:shakehead

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:

This is my own opinion but Crosby got 2 goals for Team Canada with the best linemates in hockey and he played every power play and 4 on 4 with the best blueline in the tournament. Sidney would be wise to take 2 million if he can get it.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
eye said:
This is my own opinion but Crosby got 2 goals for Team Canada with the best linemates in hockey and he played every power play and 4 on 4 with the best blueline in the tournament. Sidney would be wise to take 2 million if he can get it.
He already turned down $2.5 million/season from the Toronto Toros. What makes you think his price will go down?

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
He already turned down $2.5 million/season from the Toronto Toros. What makes you think his price will go down?

Same reason that NHL players will see their salaries go down. Less fan interest in the sport with every passing day. Even your partner Ted acknowledged that fact tonight on Sportsnet. Hockey has been hit hard. Much harder than I think many anticipate. IMO, players will be fortunate to keep 50% of what they used to make all because of you Bob.

I'm not saying that Crosby isn't a great prospect. He is and best of all he is the type of player that can help grow the game if he proves that he can play against men the way he has against boys. He may even get that 5 million but if I were an owner it wouldn't be from me. 2 million per would be the most I would be willing to gamble on his first pro contract.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
eye said:
I'm not saying that Crosby isn't a great prospect. He is and best of all he is the type of player that can help grow the game if he proves that he can play against men the way he has against boys. He may even get that 5 million but if I were an owner it wouldn't be from me. 2 million per would be the most I would be willing to gamble on his first pro contract.

Crosby is the guy the WHA wants. Crosby Crosby Crosby. That's all they talk about. They're starting up a fledgling league. He's their marquee guy. Crosby can name his price, much the same way Bobby Hull wrote his own cheque in 1972. Budget be damned. They want him, they'll find the money.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
"i wish the wha nothing but the best, especially as i feel slapped in the face by the NHL with not only the jets, nordiques & whalers relocating and screwing those fans, but with this stupid lockout, which is screwing all hockey fans.

i hope the league is able to arrange arenas in suitable cities, and can find the financial backing. i'm extremely skeptical, but still hopeful".[/QUOTE]

In his interview WHA owner Rick Smith said they plan on starting with an 8 team league made up mostly of NHL players. He said all teams would be centrally controlled ala the Bain offer of the NHL. He said he has a partner and mentioned 3 or 4 other employees i.e. Bobby Hull, Phil Espositio, Mo Mantha. He said he was negotiating arena deals but would not formally announce them until the ink is dry on the agreements. He was negotiating with Quebec City, Hamilton, Vancouver and others. Rick Smith is reported to be a very wealthy man who made his money in the BC lumber business. He and his partner are supposedly putting up the 2 million tourny prize money out of their own pocket and are working on tv and sponsorship deals.

He does seem to have more on the ball than Howell and his partners who totally missed the boat last season. IMO, with a few exceptions NHL players that sign in the WHA will not be welcome back in the NHL and I don't see fans forgiving the players enough to finance them in their new endeavor. There is a market for the WHA similar to what the IHL was until they got greedy but I don't see the WHA succeeding by running on parallel tracks to the NHL.

I do like their fan survey on their home page though. Some great rule preference questions that all of you should respond to.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:

Crosby already has his RBK contract worth millions, from that alone he should be set for life.

Crosby wants to play in the NHL and compete for the Stanley Cup with the players he grew up watching, not for a scruffy questionable WHA league.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
eye said:
IF the WHA gets off the ground and signs enough NHL players for the 8 teams they claim will start in October what happens to the remaining unsigned NHL vets? The WHA and Europe will insist on full season commitments next year plus NHL players will be expected to walk the picket lines. The WHA could prove to become the NHL's best weapon to devide the PA.

Do you think that more fans will support the WHA with NHL players or the NHL with a combination of temporary players and NHL players that cross the line?

I can't see fans paying good money to support the players that most of us feel have let us down so my vote is for the NHL.

I think the NHL will start over again and take the necessary 3-5 years to rebuild the league with players that share their vision of how to grow the game and make it competitive for all 30 teams.
if gary gets replacements money and players will flock to the wha - spite - by the way orca bay will not stand in the way of a team at gm place here in vancouver - $ is $

ResidentAlien*

mr gib said:
if gary gets replacements money and players will flock to the wha - spite - by the way orca bay will not stand in the way of a team at gm place here in vancouver - $ is $
That should be qualified by what they also said on 1040- Money up front- as Tiger said, these guys better have very deep pockets, and his advise to any potential investors is " hold on to your money"

Also- if gary gets replacement players, and orca goes with them, exactly when do you think orca will rent out the garage to the WHA?

Pipedream

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
ResidentAlien said:
That should be qualified by what they also said on 1040- Money up front- as Tiger said, these guys better have very deep pockets, and his advise to any potential investors is " hold on to your money"

Also- if gary gets replacement players, and orca goes with them, exactly when do you think orca will rent out the garage to the WHA?

Pipedream
it's a long shot for sure - but if bettman keeps going the way he is who knows - wasn't that interview with tiger awesome?

mini-mite fan

Feb 4, 2005
MN, USA
"WHAT SALARY CAP?!! The WHA doesn't have a salary cap! Go to www.worldhockeyassociation.net . It's on their front page!

Jeez"
- Bicycle Repair dude

:eek: whoa, easy spoke-jockey (I used to be a bike & ski tech)

I actually went to their site (yesterday) before I read your post (about five minutes ago), and saw that I had misspoke. However, in previous stuff I have read and seen in interviews, league initiators like Espisito & Hull had insinuated a cap would be considered, but either way cost-certainty & league parity was imperitive to their success.

My apologies - I assure you it was an honest mistake

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
eye said:
He does seem to have more on the ball than Howell and his partners who totally missed the boat last season. IMO, with a few exceptions NHL players that sign in the WHA will not be welcome back in the NHL and I don't see fans forgiving the players enough to finance them in their new endeavor. There is a market for the WHA similar to what the IHL was until they got greedy but I don't see the WHA succeeding by running on parallel tracks to the NHL.

I think you're hoping your hatred for players extends to absolutely everyone out there, who will feel some sort of personal vendetta to "screw the players" by thumbing your nose at anything they might be involved in and blindly supporting the current batch of NHL owners and whatever they're up to.

If the WHA gets their stuff together, they have a pretty good chance. If there are replacements next year in the NHL, at least fans can choose between (some of) the best players in the world in the WHA and low-rate minor league scrubs in the NHL. If that scenario holds for the full season, I can't think too many people would be THAT dedicated to the owners to continue paying big money to see crap hockey players in the NHL instead of watching good palyers in the WHA.

Your claims of WHA players not being welcome back in the NHL is also ridiculous. You won't see all 30 NHL teams take a pass on 150 of the best players in the world just because they once played in a rival league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad