Confirmed with Link: Wesley signed

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Pretty bad and pointless, but whatevs.

Although neither one will likely ever do much in the pros, it's kinda funny/sad to see Wesley get a contract while Kyle Jenkins who has a better skillset, and has been constantly better in the same league, gets sent back into the draft.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Pretty bad and pointless, but whatevs.

Although neither one will likely ever do much in the pros, it's kinda funny/sad to see Wesley get a contract while Kyle Jenkins who has a better skillset, and has been constantly better in the same league, gets sent back into the draft.

They're two different types of players. Jenkins is more offensive and is fancied as a typical puck mover. Sort of a "defense second" kind of guy. Wesley is an adequate to good skater (not great) who can play the body and does have an adequate 1st pass. In the end I would bet the decision had more to do with the fact that Wesley is a RHD and Jenkins is an LHD. Simple as that, IMO.

Whomever said he'll be a 2nd pairing guy for the Everblades has the right of this, again, IMO. He may work his way onto the Checkers and maybe Samuelsson/Smith can make something of him, but he's still a ways off.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There's a chance that maybe Jenkins thought it was in his best interest not to sign also? Just speculating, but I could see that potential existing.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Shame he didn't fall a little closer to the tree. A Glen Wesley type of player would be a really nice fit on this team right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Shame he didn't fall a little closer to the tree. A Glen Wesley type of player would be a really nice fit on this team right now.

In fairness to Josh, he wasn't like most of these kids who were playing competitive level hockey since they were 6. Josh was naturally gifted, but he basically played in the Raleigh House/Rec league until, I think, he was a Peewee (so 12 or 13). I realize his name has opened some doors for him, but his development, in terms of playing tons of hockey and playing against tough competition started quite a bit later than most kids these days.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
He's just not the type of hockey player that makes the league anymore. Maybe in bygone days, but not anymore. If you can't break guys out you can't play up here. Especially not in this system.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Lots of posters here had a negative opinion of this kid from the get-go...many simply because of his name.

I know people feel he was drafted because of who his Dad is...and this maybe/probably played a part...but all the pissiness over the drafting/signing is over-done.

He finished 111 in central scouting his draft year...so the 4th round pick wasn't some crazy over-reach.

I'm looking forward to see how he does next season.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Lots of posters here had a negative opinion of this kid from the get-go...many simply because of his name.

I know people feel he was drafted because of who his Dad is...and this maybe/probably played a part...but all the pissiness over the drafting/signing is over-done.

He finished 111 in central scouting his draft year...so the 4th round pick wasn't some crazy over-reach.

I'm looking forward to see how he does next season.

Me too...

Fumble

Mar 22, 2006
No one is being pissy. He simply hasn't been very impressive since being drafted. What kind of reaction do you expect?

I saw several of the Ice Dog's playoff games this year and was very impressed with him overall. Although he could/should use his size to his advantage more often he is a very reliable OHL Defenseman...it will be interesting to see if he can progress to be a solid AHL defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad