Werenski in for Jones at NHL AllStar Game

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Thought Z deserved the spot before Letang as it was. Nice to have our top pair both allstars.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I really wish Jones had been able to go, I think he would have shocked a lot of people just how close he could have gotten to McD and Points times in the fastest skater. And I'm curious to see if he would have been in the hardest shot.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't want to take this exhibition too seriously - and I know Zach is still coming back from injury - but he seemed rather unremarkable this weekend. That said, he didn't look out of place either.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I had no idea where to put this and didn’t feel like it was necessary to start an all purpose thread exclusively for Zach.

Z was benched the final 5 minutes last night. I’m honestly surprised that he has been viewed as THIS much of a liability to the coaches.. that he can’t even be out on the ice under 5 mins in a close game. I completely understand he hasn’t been the same Z we saw last year both offensively and defensively and I fully understand he has been playing hurt for at least half of the season now but he’s our 2nd best defenseman behind Jones (IMO).. although Cole is closer behind Z than some would believe. Am I wrong to think that this is complete non-sense that he deserves to sit and not be on the ice for the final minutes, going forward the rest of the season?...

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
He was never on the ice to protect the lead, never, even last year, and this year too, before Murray went down, also he's not on PK anymore. Like he said that's not his role.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I had no idea where to put this and didn’t feel like it was necessary to start an all purpose thread exclusively for Zach.

Z was benched the final 5 minutes last night. I’m honestly surprised that he has been viewed as THIS much of a liability to the coaches.. that he can’t even be out on the ice under 5 mins in a close game. I completely understand he hasn’t been the same Z we saw last year both offensively and defensively and I fully understand he has been playing hurt for at least half of the season now but he’s our 2nd best defenseman behind Jones (IMO).. although Cole is closer behind Z than some would believe. Am I wrong to think that this is complete non-sense that he deserves to sit and not be on the ice for the final minutes, going forward the rest of the season?...

I don't know about "deserving to sit" but the apparent injury (shoulder?) has dramatically affected Z's ability to ward off other players when he has the puck in close quarters, and limits his ability to move the puck off his backhand with any authority. That gets exposed big time when the object is to keep the puck out of our zone and to get it out against a trailing team's high pressure. I don't think this is a skill issue or a desire issue - and yes, there are other D on the team AT THE MOMENT who are better at preserving a lead than Z. That is not a knock on Z - imo we will find he's been a warrior all year playing through some kind of injury. He will be back to be a stud in all situations when healthy (and hopefully he tightens up his puck handling when that happens).

And yes, I agree with Maylo but Z will grow into all-situation D-man in coming years.[/QUOTE]

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If we have the ability to keep Z off the ice for PK and holding leads and it means he's putting up 50 pts then I'm all for it. It was pretty obvious last season when Murray went down and Z an Quincey picked up PK minutes that his offensive numbers dried up.

Same with this season, only he has an injury he's playing through it which affect his numbers even more

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Player "roles" and "usage" is something that many people on hfboards have a HARD time understanding.

It's the main reason "corsi" and other "advanced" statistics should be regarded as trash most of the time, imo.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Player "roles" and "usage" is something that many people on hfboards have a HARD time understanding.

It's the main reason "corsi" and other "advanced" statistics should be regarded as trash most of the time, imo.
That last is oversimplifying. If one uses advanced statistics exclusively and attempts to hold them up as the only information that matters, then, yes, that's trash. But they can be used to help inform discussions regardless. Just because they're not the end-all-be-all that some foolish types want them to be doesn't mean they're worthless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad