Were there any controversy with number 88?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Not focused only to Eric Lindros. Now it is the number of Pastrnak, if im correct.

Solely this number, because Neo-Nazis use the number 88 as an abbreviation for the Nazi salute Heil Hitler.

J’accuse William Nylander:

upload_2020-8-13_9-59-56.jpeg

Check out them third reich cornrows.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Not focused only to Eric Lindros. Now it is the number of Pastrnak, if im correct.

Solely this number, because Neo-Nazis use the number 88 as an abbreviation for the Nazi salute Heil Hitler.

I dont think so. But then again the internet wasnt a thing back then so not everyone knows about the nazi codes being used.

Also I think everyone knew that he wanted a special number like Gretzky and Mario

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Nazi what?

The NFL has a proud tradition of black guys wearing #88.

Michael Irwin, Marvin Harrison, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, etc.

Ceedee Lamb, the Cowboys 1st round pick this year, got #88 as an HONOR to the tradition of greats who have worn it, most of whom are black.

So,... no controversy expected here.

The absurdity deepens: the Nazis were anti-Slavic, considering them "inferior", so the Czech player Pastrnak did not choose the number for any nefarious reason.

This is silly.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Nazi what?

The NFL has a proud tradition of black guys wearing #88.

Michael Irwin, Marvin Harrison, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, etc.

Ceedee Lamb, the Cowboys 1st round pick this year, got #88 as an HONOR to the tradition of greats who have worn it, most of whom are black.

So,... no controversy expected here.

The absurdity deepens: the Nazis were anti-Slavic, considering them "inferior", so the Czech player Pastrnak did not choose the number for any nefarious reason.

This is silly.

Whats silly here is your anti-historic views and ignorance about current events in the slavic world (especially in Poland and Slovakia) but that is off-topic.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pastrnak is Slavic, from a border town with Poland. The Nazis planned to exterminate the Slavs.

My grandmother was Slovakian and my family name - from my Hungarian-born father's side - is Polish.

My comments stand.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011

The Hitler connection seems like absurd to me, and I wasn't even aware of it until a few years ago. I don't remember anyone doing the connection during the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s or even 2000s.

Here in Sweden, our most popular ice creams for many years - possibly alltime - is named 88:an ("the 88"). It's been around since 1964. I have never heard of anyone making the Hitler connection.

We also have a popular ice cream named Nogger (for "nougat"), which has been around since 1978. Political correctness made a few people suddenly questioning its naming, although without success since it's still being named Nogger. However, when a version named Nogger Black came, it had to change its name.
There are lots of black people living in Sweden.

(We also have an ice cream called lakritspuck (licorice/liquorice puck), that is black and has the shape of a puck.)
https://cdn3.cdnme.se/cdn/7-1/2665323/images/2012/lakritspuck-250x318_501a37e7ddf2b31e6b000605.png

By the way, are there any known hockey players or coaches/owners who are/were nazis?

It would be strange to see a game today where the players have swasticas on their jersey, raising their right arm every now and then, all while the audience - all dressed up - is shouting nazi slogans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad