Player Discussion: Welcome to Winnipeg, Nick Shore

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
How is he at faceoffs ?

He's pretty good at faceoffs. 4th line C's don't take many though, and because of Maurice's usage most of them are NZ or OZ so it matters very little overall.

Shore was a guy in LA that always looked like he should have had more to give but never could break out. The puck just died on his stick. Not sure how's he's looked this year in TOR, but he was an ok 12/13 forward in LA and probably could still be that. Likely still a big upgrade on Letestu/Bourque/Shaw/Luoto/etc that the Jets have been throwing out there on the 4th line. However not much more than a placeholder still that can play 6-9 mins with some PK time. I'm not opposed to this move considering how thin Jets are up front.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I once saw Chevy driving around my neighborhood on Free Day looking for D men - true story.

If he can play on the 4th and actually be trusted to kill penalties, then it's a good pick up.
This was very funny :laugh: good one . :thumbu:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
I "Shore" do like the cut of your jib, Chevy.

We seem to be doing pretty good with inexpensive waiver pickups so why not.

I'd like us to get healthy so maybe we can get some scoring out of our bottom 6 though.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Picking this cat up and saving Gus from 5 mins a night seems like a win win.

If he is a guy Maurice will trust for more 4th line mins it should help the whole team a wee bit.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Hearing the scouting reports on this guy is bringing back James Wright flashbacks. Did that guy ever score for us?

Reactions: rkp

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's so weird to go from having guys like Lowry, Copp, etc on our fourth line to guys I can't even remember.
Except They were on the 4th line at earlier points in their careers not as the players they are today. That is what the organization is hoping from guys like Appleton Gus and Luoto. Otherwise those roles get filled with NHL journeyman on NHL minimum salaries.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's an improvement on Luoto and Shaw and costs us nothing

If he can regain some form this could turn out well for us. We seem to be doing great with reclamation projects so this could be the perfect environment.

He's a positive on face offs, will improve our pk, and hopefully prevent us from being pinned in our zone the entire time the 4th line is out.

He can also allow us to use our skilled guys less on the pk which will lower their minutes and reduce risk of injury from blocking a shot

Reactions: Jets 31

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
The Moose ran roll 3 pretty good lines now with
Chibisov-Harkins-Griffith
Vesalainen-Spacek-Lipon
Mc Kenzie-Suess-Poirier

and 8 of those 9 are battling to be the next man up.
And Poirier gets the next call.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I will wait to watch him play as a Winnipeg Jet before saying anything about Shore . If Sbisa tells us anything it's apparent crap players aren't so crappy . :laugh:
Agreed. I see no need to pass judgement before actually watching him play. Also don't mind Chevy taking free rolls of the dice to "shore" up holes before spending assets to do the same thing.

Reactions: Jets 31

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He can't be worse than what's already on the 4th line although Leafs fans don't have a particularly positive opinion of him. Get him in the lineup and send Gus to the minors to develop.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
according to the leafs board, he wasn't much of anything.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hearing the scouting reports on this guy is bringing back James Wright flashbacks. Did that guy ever score for us?
Wright's 5v5 G/60 while in Winnipeg was 0.15

Shore's 5v5 G/60 over his last two NHL seasons is 0.39

Shore's closest G/60 comp on the current team: Bourque (0.40)

Reactions: JetsUK

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I really don't think the Jets picked up Shore for his scoring , probably faceoffs , PK and defense . Also what if Little doesn't come back or the Jets know Little is very far away from coming back . Plus the 4th line is getting beat down every game so giving Shore a peek can't hurt .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad