Prospect Info: Welcome to Montréal, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1st round pick, 3OA 2018 - signed ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Everybody had Tkachuk ranked around 3......yet, the concencus here is that he was outside the top 10......go figure

Scouting has really had a better approach the last few years, less emphasis on size etc.. I tend to trust the rankings this year.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Nobody had JK ranked 3 but Craig Button, not even HEOTP

McKenzie's list was an aggregate of 10+ head scouts from different NHL teams and Kotka was averaging 5th. Don't know if you're good in math, but it's highly likely Kotka was ranked higher than 5th by some of those teams to average out at 5th rank.

This BPA BS needs to stop.

And Zadina was drafted lower than Kotka's 5th rank on McKenzie's list, which should tell you something about how Zadina was also perceived.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
McKenzie's list was an aggregate of 10+ head scouts from different NHL teams and Kotka was averaging 5th. Don't know if you're good in math, but it's highly likely Kotka was ranked higher than 5th by some of those teams to average out at 5th rank.

This BPA BS needs to stop.

And Zadina was drafted lower than Kotka's 5th rank on McKenzie's list, which should tell you something about how Zadina was also perceived.

I never wanted Zadina, but you can take your cute little math comment and shove it.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Armia was his idol growing up. Finally for once this organization makes things even a little bit easier for the prospects. Should help him with adjustment period.

Reactions: BxR and montreal

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
DLC was remarking today in an article that JK47 has a brace on his right knee. It's rumors we've heard that he had an ACL tear during his 57 games with Assat Pori.
jesperi-kotkaniemi-600x365.png

Hopefully, it fully heals and doesn't hinder his skating.

Can't believe no one cares about the fact the above picture shows him wearing that brace on his right knee. It's kind of a big deal. Is it a permanent brace like the one Galchenyuk was going to be wearing after his collision with Kopitar ?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
You Boqvist guys are courageous, and you might even be right. I just didn't have the guts to put him in my top 5.

I stuck with him as my #3 since our early mocks. I understand why others may had passed him, but I still see something special with the kid.

Can amount to nothing of course, but if he reaches his max ceiling, he is gonna be spectacular.

Jul 6, 2016
He was my guy, can rebuild a blueline around him.

Habs had to take care of the centerman position first and above all. They have many young d-men in the pipeline for the time being. I would had loved the Habs to trade galchy or Patches for another good 1st rounder and that pick could had been used to draft a d-man.

Thatt is probably what MB was trying to do when he tried to get the 12th overall from the Isles. That could had been Dobson, then.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Habs had to take care of the centerman position first and above all. They have many young d-men in the pipeline for the time being. I would had loved the Habs to trade galchy or Patches for another good 1st rounder and that pick could had been used to draft a d-man.

Thatt is probably what MB was trying to do when he tried to get the 12th overall from the Isles. That could had been Dobson, then.

I agree if there was a clear #1 franchise C, but I don't see it in JK. He's a #2 for me, not a 1. Again, everyone gets their ginch in a bunch because I'm not on the hype train. If there isn't a franchise #1 C available, take the BPA. IF the team is ok with a #2C at 3rd overall, great. I'm not.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I agree if there was a clear #1 franchise C, but I don't see it in JK. He's a #2 for me, not a 1. Again, everyone gets their ginch in a bunch because I'm not on the hype train. If there isn't a franchise #1 C available, take the BPA. IF the team is ok with a #2C at 3rd overall, great. I'm not.

I don’t see Kotkaniemi as a franchise #1C but I still see #1C upside in him. What I mean is look at a guy like RyJo. Great center, a legit #1 but he isn’t a franchise level player like McDavid, Crosby, Tavares, etc.

Boqvist I saw franchise potential. I didn’t see franchise potential in Dobson or any other defenceman, but I did see a first-pairing potential with Dobson, Hughes and Bouchard.

I guess what I am trying to differentiate is a franchise player has to be elite, but being elite doesn’t make you a franchise player.

This is all my opinion and I don’t have a time machine to prove otherwise, but that is what I see as the difference between franchise and top-pair or #1C. Basically, maybe Kotkaniemi isn’t going to be the centerpiece of the team, but he may still develop into a #1C... a legit one also.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Can't believe no one cares about the fact the above picture shows him wearing that brace on his right knee. It's kind of a big deal. Is it a permanent brace like the one Galchenyuk was going to be wearing after his collision with Kopitar ?
You don't think the Habs have done a medical background check before drafting him? Come on

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I don't remember, but was he part of the european combine ? And, did he have his brace on at the actual combine (didn't seem like it).

I know the Habs will consult docs if they need to. They did it with Kostitsyn, for instance, before drafting him.

So, my guess would be that its prophylactic use, assuming its the same knee that he injured last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad