OT: Weekly Nepean Ball Hockey

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone around here would be interesting in playing some weekly ball hockey during the spring/summer to get us through this time of no sens hockey. We have a group on Facebook that we use to organize games and I thought this might be the perfect place to find some potential players who may be training for the upcoming PlayOn tournaments, or just want to play some unload and play some hockey for fun.

We typically play in parking lots of tennis courts if they are public and unused. For anyone who may be interested, feel free to join our page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/449412561884149/ Anyone is welcome to join as long as you have a good attitude and a little bit of skill as we are competitive, but not overly so.

Our next game is actually tomorrow at 4:30pm at 9 Meridian place which is the parking lot of the Peter D. Clarke Centre, off of Centrepoint Drive and Chrysalis Way. It is a fairly large parking lot so there is lots of room to play. We typically use a hard orange rubber ball provided the goalies are okay with it otherwise we just use a regular tennis ball of course.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions, and feel free to invite your friends as the saying goes the more the merrier (unless they are habs fans)

Last edited:

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Man this sounds like fun, but Nepean is quite a ways from where I live at Blair.

Were trying to find a more centralized location, preferably with an arena that has boards, if you have any recommendations I would love to hear them but for now unfortunately we only play in Nepean, specifically around baseline, close to Algonquin College.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
Do the times and days fluctuate? I live right around the area and cant get enough ball hockey.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Do the times and days fluctuate? I live right around the area and cant get enough ball hockey.

Right now they do fluctuate, but we play at least twice a week with the most common days being Wed/Thurs and Sat/Sun but I think we will be making something more official this coming week. I expect the next game to be either on Friday 5pm or Sat/Sun around 2pm.

Any suggestions are welcome as we've only had 4 hockey days so far this summer and I expect it to continue until early November.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Update on scheduling

Right now it looks like all future games will be held on Wednesdays and Sundays with games on Wednesday starting around 5:30-6:00pm and Sunday games starting around 3:00-4:00pm. If there happens to be rain or otherwise ****** weather on those days it will be postponed to either the next day, or we will only have 1 game in that week.

The next game will be starting around 5:30pm today at 9 Meridian Place in the parking lot of the Peter D. Clarke City of Ottawa Centre which is close to the Royal Oak (Centrepoint) as well as RBC Bank and opposing parking lot of the Nepean Public Library on Centrepoint Drive. This location is about a 5 minute walk from Baseline Station and you can take either the 118 or the 178 to get here.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Been awhile since I've posted here but just wanted to give a quick update to all possible players. We now play twice a week, Thursday 5pm and Sunday 2pm. We also now play in a tennis court at Greenlawn Park and have 2 backup locations in case they are unavailable.

Come on down to 1145 Greenlawn Crescent this Thursday for some pick up hockey, we also have a group page on facebook if anyone wants to join at https://www.facebook.com/groups/449412561884149/

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
I would highly recommend Jules Morin Park as an alternative, highly central location (just north of Rideau Street). Brand new outdoor arena with real NHL boards/nets and washrooms on site (though I don't know when they open/close). During the winter it's one of the big outdoor ice hockey rinks sponsored by the Sens.

People play ball hockey there all the time during the summer.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I would highly recommend Jules Morin Park as an alternative, highly central location (just north of Rideau Street). Brand new outdoor arena with real NHL boards/nets and washrooms on site (though I don't know when they open/close). During the winter it's one of the big outdoor ice hockey rinks sponsored by the Sens.

People play ball hockey there all the time during the summer.

Really? That sounds pretty great, I have been looking into other locations for ball hockey as we used to play on parking lots after 5pm when they were empty and switched to a tennis court as we had one close to where we keep all of our equipment.

Thanks for letting me know, I will definitely look into Morin Park as an alternative in the future, but for now and the foreseeable future we will continue inside of a tennis court.

Kybosh

Sooner or later, everything old is new again.
Jun 29, 2012
Just saw this now and thought I would mention we have a game(s) almost every Saturday night from 8-11PM. We always have two goalies and lots of people have been coming out for it lately. All skill levels are welcome but please be aware we do have a couple younger kids playing. We play at a rink with boards and lights next to the Bayshore Musalla. Hope to see some new faces this weekend!

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ba...51,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xde93604dac93e25d

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I heard about the bayshore arena and thought it was a pretty good idea, sorry to the east guys, I know that our current location is not idea and we are trying to get a more centralized location in Ottawa which would be viable for everyone.

Update for next game & info about the group:
Hey would anyone in this group be interested in playing some scrimmages/rival games against us? I'm running a "league" of sorts right now with about 90 people and whoever shows up will be split into 2 teams throughout the day with all games being up to 5 or 7. I made a website which is in the beta stages right now but is looking good, let me know if this is something you guys would be interested in.

Our next hockey day will be on Sunday Aug 30th at 2:00pm at 1145 Greenlawn Cr. (Greenlawn Park) It is located in the west end, and is close to the Walmart Supercentre on baseline road. Our group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/449412561884149/ (Weekly Nepean Road Hockey League) and anyone is welcome to join.

Our website can be found at http://wnrh.teamsnap.com/ Right now our website shows scheduling, roster players complete with profiles, as well as a statistic page which logs game stats and individual player statistics.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Give the Jules Morin Park a try one weekend. Fantastic venue for outdoor ball hockey and central to boot :)

Plenty of parking on site too!

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Give the Jules Morin Park a try one weekend. Fantastic venue for outdoor ball hockey and central to boot :)

Plenty of parking on site too!

Do people play there regularly? If so we could try it out the next time we plan on playing which might be on Thursday but I am not sure yet. Most information regarding games is posted on our facebook page because its the easiest way to organize games.

Also, if anyone is interested we will be hosting an 8-16 team ball hockey tourney sometime in early October around thanksgiving. Games will be played at 4v4 + a goalie and you can have a maximum of 10 players per team. No fees or costs to join, anyone is welcome.

Location is TBD, more than likely will be held in the west end as it easier to control games for us, but I will check out the Jules Morin Park as soon as I can, preferably by the end of the week.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Pickup hockey Sept 10 6pm

Just a quick update that there will be a pickup hockey game lasting from about 6-9 pm at Greenlawn Park. Hope to see some new faces out there, sorry to Omnisens we will try to play closer to your location in the future!

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Ball Hockey Tourney

Hey guys, we are hosting a ball hockey tourney next weekend before thanksgiving, we are looking for around 4 more teams to participate before we can begin. Teams will be capped at 8 players including a goalie, we will be playing at Greenlawn Park (West End) and it is easily accessible by bus and has plenty of free parking available.

Each team will play in a bo3 elimination with the winning teams advancing through to the next round and eventually in the finals. Games will be played up to 7 with a rubber orange ball. There are no costs involved other than your own transportation.

More information regarding this and other events like this will be avaialble on our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/449412561884149/.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad