Confirmed with Link: Weekes: The Avs are re-signing Justus Annunen, 2 year, 833k per, 1-way deal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wonder if this means Provy is gonzo after this year? Would be nice to sign him as well, but to a 2-way deal, and keep him around just in case
I'd imagine Prov waits a long time this summer looking for a 1-way deal.
Why not just give Provy a 1-way deal as well? Doesn't make a difference if it's 1-way or 2-way in the grand scheme of things, outside of him making a 300-500 k more in the AHL.

We have nothing in the pipelines, and either contract can be buried.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why not just give Provy a 1-way deal as well? Doesn't make a difference if it's 1-way or 2-way in the grand scheme of things, outside of him making a 300-500 k more in the AHL.

We have nothing in the pipelines, and either contract can be buried.
Very much doubt Prosvetov will want to be in a situation like that. Also, there are probably better options for a #3 available.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Prosvetov situation won't take that long to solve. He has arbitration rights that he will file for. Given his AHL ability and his time this year in the NHL... he's looking at a 813/500 split minimum with the potential for 875 1 way. No matter the ruling the Avs couldn't walk away as it won't reach the threshold. So, I'd imagine the Avs will try to sign him to a 1 way deal at 775-800k to eliminate the arbitration, or they simply don't qualify him.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
The Prosvetov situation won't take that long to solve. He has arbitration rights that he will file for. Given his AHL ability and his time this year in the NHL... he's looking at a 813/500 split minimum with the potential for 875 1 way. No matter the ruling the Avs couldn't walk away as it won't reach the threshold. So, I'd imagine the Avs will try to sign him to a 1 way deal at 775-800k to eliminate the arbitration, or they simply don't qualify him.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Trade Georgiev
Re-sign Rantanen 8x12.5
Re-sign Walker 5x5

Roll with Annunen and Prosvetov and Miner as the #3

Ivan Prosvetov
8 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie, 2.12 GAA, .930 SV %

Trent Miner
9 wins, 6 losses, 1 tie, 2.10 GAA, .930 SV %

Reactions: Snow Arc

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Trade Georgiev
Re-sign Rantanen 8x12.5
Re-sign Walker 5x5

Roll with Annunen and Prosvetov and Miner as the #3

Ivan Prosvetov
8 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie, 2.12 GAA, .930 SV %

Trent Miner
9 wins, 6 losses, 1 tie, 2.10 GAA, .930 SV %
love the gamble

Annunen has the worst saving percentage in the AHL among those three goaltenders.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If Georgiev needs to work less, maybe he should try letting in three goals instead of four goals. It takes more effort to pick up the puck from the net instead of catching it immediately. Also better rebound control, so less saves in general.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Very much doubt Prosvetov will want to be in a situation like that. Also, there are probably better options for a #3 available.
You don't think Prosvetov would want to be in a situation where the competition for the NHL backup position is a 24 yr old goalie with 10 NHL games of experience under his belt?

Also not sure what options would be better than him as a #3. At least Provy has some potential still, rather than a goalie like Pickard who doesn't move the needle.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Next year we're going to have the cheapest starting goalie in the finals since like 1976* aren't we?

* I pulled this year out of my ass, someone will point out that it's actually only been a couple of years very soon, probably. I really don't know.

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Awesome signing. He's come along in leaps and bounds. I love that we have been, and are developing a goalie ! A goalie that's persevered through adversity. This is called rewarding hard work and success.

How sweet is it that we got the 2nd best goalie on the planet signed for such a cheap deal!?!?!

We now have the 1st and 2nd best goalies in the world for around $4m combined!!!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How sweet is it that we got the 2nd best goalie on the planet signed for such a cheap deal!?!?!

We now have the 1st and 2nd best goalies in the world for around $4m combined!!!
Confused.gif

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Now that the Avalanche have a backup they trust maybe Geo will improve since he won't be as overworked.
He has already been improving.

January: .895 sv%, 3.03 GAA
February: .909 sv%, 2.77 GAA
March: 917 sv%, 2.39 GAA

Also, if you look at his rest breakdown, it's clear that he needs to play a lot.

Georgiev on 1 day of rest: 20-7-0, .908 sv%, 2.53 GAA
Georgiev on 2 days of rest: 10-4-1, .915 sv%, 2.65 GAA
Georgiev on 3+ days of rest: 7-4-2, .878 sv%, 3.57 GAA

He's a rhythm goalie. Probably also why he's so prone to giving up early goals and then locking it down late.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Buriable hit if he can't step up full time. Almost no risk (outside of 500k a year for Kroenke).

I like it

Buriable cap hit, but the one way deal likely means they're committing to him as the Avs backup at least next year.

Which means he HAS to play at an NHL backup level, because if he doesn't, they'll have to overplay George again like they did when they lost Franky.

Interesting gamble signing him now, instead of waiting to evaluate him with more games and playoffs, and then signing him in the off season.

Maybe save an extra $100k or so if he would have played well in the playoffs, but hard to see much more than that with his lack of games.

Goes to show how little cap space they'll have next year.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Buriable cap hit, but the one way deal likely means they're committing to him as the Avs backup at least next year.

Which means he HAS to play at an NHL backup level, because if he doesn't, they'll have to overplay George again like they did when they lost Franky.

Interesting gamble signing him now, instead of waiting to evaluate him with more games and playoffs, and then signing him in the off season.

Maybe save an extra $100k or so if he would have played well in the playoffs, but hard to see much more than that with his lack of games.

Goes to show how little cap space they'll have next year.
We are on a thin budget. We need to take gambles here and there. This one makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad