NCAA: Week 5: Textile Bowl in the Top 10

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It was #2 vs #3 or #4 (depending on rankings) for the B12 North and a showdown against Oklahoma. Mizzou won and finished the regular season #1 in all rankings, but then lost to Oklahoma in a rematch from earlier in the year that Oklahoma also won. If I recall, William "Pig" Moore was either ejected or went out injured early in the game and he was Mizzou's star safety. Sam Bradford had a good game.

Then, because Mizzou lost the title game, kansas made a BCS bowl (the Orange Bowl) while Mizzou did not, which was a joke.
As a Virgnia Tech fan, I hated that too, specifically as the Orange Bowl was being played.

It was a wild season.

Reactions: bluesfan94

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
As a Virgnia Tech fan, I hated that too, specifically as the Orange Bowl was being played.

It was a wild season.
It's the second time I feel like if Mizzou won their conference championship game, they would have won the national title. Oh well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's the second time I feel like if Mizzou won their conference championship game, they would have won the national title. Oh well.
I feel like Ohio State would've been favored, but I loved how Chase Daniel was playing, they would've had a great shot. Ohio State obviously laid an egg in the game.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I feel like Ohio State would've been favored, but I loved how Chase Daniel was playing, they would've had a great shot. Ohio State obviously laid an egg in the game.
I don't think they would have. Mizzou would have been ranked #1 coming off back-to-back wins against kansas and Oklahoma.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think they would have. Mizzou would have been ranked #1 coming off back-to-back wins against kansas and Oklahoma.
I often wonder what would have happened if the chaos that year didn't come to a head, if two mid-tier power-five schools got to play for the title had West Virginia not lost. It would've been big for both conferences, and Rich Rod would not have been able to leave for Michigan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad