Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
how quickly you all forget about the goal of the century

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
24 points in 42 games, you could say it paid of for Montreal.
Meh still remains to be seen. He's been up and down for them. He'll go on a mini heater and look great for 5-7 games. Then just be abysmal for 3 or 4. I think when he moves over to wing full time next year (Dach's health permitting), it should free him up a bit more to utilize his shot and have him clear into the 25-30g range. Which would be a good return for what they paid. His ability to find space and IQ still leaves a lot to be desired. If he can have a guy on his line to free him up, maybe the playmaking improves... That'll probably be the difference between him being a 45-50 point guy vs a 55-60 point.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Meh still remains to be seen. He's been up and down for them. He'll go on a mini heater and look great for 5-7 games. Then just be abysmal for 3 or 4. I think when he moves over to wing full time next year (Dach's health permitting), it should free him up a bit more to utilize his shot and have him clear into the 25-30g range. Which would be a good return for what they paid. His ability to find space and IQ still leaves a lot to be desired. If he can have a guy on his line to free him up, maybe the playmaking improves... That'll probably be the difference between him being a 45-50 point guy vs a 55-60 point.
Is he willing to put in the effort though?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is he willing to put in the effort though?
I don't see work ethic as Newhook's issue. I know people hate when I harp on it, but skating is his biggest issue. It isn't good enough to create/close the separation needed to be effective in tight spaces... either defensively or offensively. He can fly when he gets 3-4 steps, but that isn't all that useful in the NHL with how tight systems are. His issues are with a guy on him or if he has to close space.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't see work ethic as Newhook's issue. I know people hate when I harp on it, but skating is his biggest issue. It isn't good enough to create/close the separation needed to be effective in tight spaces... either defensively or offensively. He can fly when he gets 3-4 steps, but that isn't all that useful in the NHL with how tight systems are. His issues are with a guy on him or if he has to close space.

I mean, he's a better skater than Suzuki who is noticeably below average on his feet. The difference is Newhook skates to a lot of useless places and doesn't read the game anywhere close to how Suzuki does. Suzuki is extremely intelligent, super high hockey IQ, and moves accordingly. Newhook does a lot of chasing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mean, he's a better skater than Suzuki who is noticeably below average on his feet. The difference is Newhook skates to a lot of useless places and doesn't read the game anywhere close to how Suzuki does. Suzuki is extremely intelligent, super high hockey IQ, and moves accordingly. Newhook does a lot of chasing.

I don't disagree with that. Suzuki is a rare cat though... guys with his level of intelligence are super rare. He's probably in the top 20-30 of the whole NHL in that area. I remember in Suzuki's draft year stating that his IQ was just so high that he'd overcome his deficiencies.... and that Vegas keeping Glass over him would be a mistake. He is just a next level thinker of the game in the realm of ROR. 95+% of NHLers are never going to be that level of thinker and the expectation of it is unrealistic. Great when it is there, but you can't count on it. Just like you can't count on Brink becoming a MacK level skater over time.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011

Exactly how I see it. Newhook basically makes a young Matt Duchene look like Patrice Bergeron. Unless Newhook gets the puck and can just skate in a straight line he has no idea what to do.

He has the tools to produce off talent alone but a very flawed player. I was pretty hyped for him and could understand Montreal fans being excited but not sure the hockey IQ exists for him to reach his ceiling.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad