NCAA GDT: Week 13 Rivalry Week

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Several games on Black Friday including another chance for Cincy to earn much needed style points.

Rivalry Saturday is highlighted by the battle for the Sunshine State as the 'Noles battle the Gata for a spot in a minor bowl game.

On the undercard we have The Iron Bowl, Bedlam in the Big 12, and a "Big Game" in the BIG as Ohio visits the Team Up North in what should be a "loser leaves town" battle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ole Miss gets a 10-point win in the Egg Bowl. They’ve got a NY6 spot on lock.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
:deep breath:

This...this is the game every Florida State fan in existence, especially those that attended the university such as myself, virtually circles on our virtual calendars the moment it's scheduled.

The rivalry with Miami is very real, but there's a degree of respect and/or politeness when it comes to the Hurricanes. The Gators? It's a whole different tier. It's a prison fight. There's absolutely zero politeness or holds barred. Many of these kids on both sides went to high school together or were rivals at the high school level. They know each other, they grew up together and more than anything they want to beat the absolute shit out of each other.

The Gators are better on paper and they have both the home field and the interim coach effect on their side. We have more momentum (and by that I mean it's borderline impossible to have less momentum than the Gators right now) but even Gators fans will agree with me when I say that when these two teams play you can often throw ratings, rankings and everything else out the window because it can devolve into a grudge match (except during the Tebow years where we expected to, and got, completely curb-stomped.)

I really want to believe but I'm not sure I can. No matter who wins, it's also kind of sad that both teams are this mediocre, too. @PanthersPens62 and I have discussed this in regards to the FSU-UM rivalry but the same holds true for UF; none of these schools are competing for a playoff spot anytime soon. We can't keep the great athletes from going out-of-state anymore like we used to and I don't know how to, or if any of us can, get back to that level.

I'll say 24-14 bad guys as a prediction.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

This...this is the game every Florida State fan in existence, especially those that attended the university such as myself, virtually circles on our virtual calendars the moment it's scheduled.

The rivalry with Miami is very real, but there's a degree of respect and/or politeness when it comes to the Hurricanes. The Gators? It's a whole different tier. It's a prison fight. There's absolutely zero politeness or holds barred. Many of these kids on both sides went to high school together or were rivals at the high school level. They know each other, they grew up together and more than anything they want to beat the absolute shit out of each other.

The Gators are better on paper and they have both the home field and the interim coach effect on their side. We have more momentum (and by that I mean it's borderline impossible to have less momentum than the Gators right now) but even Gators fans will agree with me when I say that when these two teams play you can often throw ratings, rankings and everything else out the window because it can devolve into a grudge match (except during the Tebow years where we expected to, and got, completely curb-stomped.)

I really want to believe but I'm not sure I can. No matter who wins, it's also kind of sad that both teams are this mediocre, too. @PanthersPens62 and I have discussed this in regards to the FSU-UM rivalry but the same holds true for UF; none of these schools are competing for a playoff spot anytime soon. We can't keep the great athletes from going out-of-state anymore like we used to and I don't know how to, or if any of us can, get back to that level.

Yup, its sad because this game was the highlight of Thanksgiving weekend for many years usually with a national title shot hanging in the balance.

I'll be optimistic & say 27-23 'Noles.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Only reason I'd pick Florida right now is because of home field but they are a pretty bad football team otherwise. Wouldn't be surprised to see FSU pull off a win.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We’ll definitely see if the Gator players hated Dan Mullen or not

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Yup, its sad because this game was the highlight of Thanksgiving weekend for many years usually with a national title shot hanging in the balance.

I'll be optimistic & say 27-23 'Noles.

1996 is the perfect example. Regular season, we beat them in a close game at Doak Campbell. We enter into the Sugar Bowl ranked #1 nationally to UF's #3 and with the winner basically guaranteed to be crowned national champion...and they absolutely wiped their asses with us.

Only reason I'd pick Florida right now is because of home field but they are a pretty bad football team otherwise. Wouldn't be surprised to see FSU pull off a win.

Both teams blow. This game may be the equivalent of Bears-Lions from yesterday but slightly less failure-rich due to not involving the Detroit Lions.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can't wait for this Texas season to be done. Quinn Ewers come home baby
Stroud still has another year before he can become pro.

im sure Ewers wants to play 2 years then turn pro. Get in around 24/25 starts in college.

If he can’t get that at OSU then best to take his talents elsewhere.

miller is a sophomore so I think he’s going to transfer.
McCord is a freshman so it’s either him or Ewers who opts to transfer. Whichever kid stays will be the starter in 2023.

Is Texas state laws preventing him from earning NIL money? I heard that was an issue for him at HS level.

Last edited:

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Iowa… smh.

Also, I hope everyone got to watch Matt Corral last night. Dude is appointment television and will end up being the best pro out of the other top QB’s in college this year.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
lmao UNC. Mack Brown is a crazy good recruiter but father time is calling for him just like it did Spurrier and every other old ass coach that just didn't have it in them at the end.

Sep 19, 2008
Eh…. Call me an old fogey, but rushing on the field after that? You’re higher ranked guys.
There was an article on ESPN today on how rushing the field happens more often now. Maybe it's the eagerness to get on the field post COVID but it's happened more.

Storming the field used to be 'reserved for something pretty special.' Not this season.

This has been a thing all year. ESPN even wrote a big article about it. Fans just want to rush the field for any reason.
The article talked about a guy who rushed the field twice in one day and openly admits his reason for doing it is viral video attention :laugh:

Reactions: Canes

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
AN ACC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME WITHOUT CLEMSON

We might actually have a game decided by less than 20 points

Reactions: Canes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad