Value of: Weegar and Borgstrom

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Just curious what the cost would be on them. Looks like Florida needs some forwards and a back up goalie.

Weegar likely isn't available for the next 2 years. He just signed for 3 years and wanted to stay and play top pair with Ekblad and build his value.

Borgstrom could be available, I'd say he's worth a 3rd + 4th or similar valued prospect.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Just curious what the cost would be on them. Looks like Florida needs some forwards and a back up goalie.

Borgstrom? Sure, he isn’t worth much right now so maybe he and a top pick for something?

Weegar isn’t going anywhere. He has good chemistry with Ek and does all the little rbi gs well. He was a strong bright spot on an otherwise weak D.

Reactions: Mase

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Weegar stays. Florida isn't in the position to trade NHL quality defenceman currently. Borgstrom is worth less in a trade than it would be to keep him and see if he can maybe carve out a role as a scoring bottom 6er. He could be a plus in a larger trade to get another quality defenceman possibly if he becomes trade bait.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Weegar likely isn't available for the next 2 years. He just signed for 3 years and wanted to stay and play top pair with Ekblad and build his value.

Borgstrom could be available, I'd say he's worth a 3rd + 4th or similar valued prospect.

Without knowing your cap situation Borgstrom for Chiasson and a 4th? Chiasson is good for 15 goals but redundant and penciled on our 4th line. Around a $2 million 1 year. So while not a bargain, I don’t think production equals cap dump but with tha flat cap we maybe add a b prospect that addresses a need? You still get the pick.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I could see teams being interested in a Borgstrom - similar prospect swap. Weegar I doubt that
1) the Panthers are willing to give up on him considering the shape of their blueline and that
2) there would be many teams willing to pay big for his (limited)potential.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Without knowing your cap situation Borgstrom for Chiasson and a 4th? Chiasson is good for 15 goals but redundant and penciled on our 4th line. Around a $2 million 1 year. So while not a bargain, I don’t think production equals cap dump but with tha flat cap we maybe add a b prospect that addresses a need? You still get the pick.

Chia isn't really a need in FLA. Most of our team is middle/bottom 6 up front, outside Barkov and Huberdeau.
Would prefer the prospect (Defense if possible) swap or simply the picks

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Chia isn't really a need in FLA. Most of our team is middle/bottom 6 up front, outside Barkov and Huberdeau.
Would prefer the prospect (Defense if possible) swap or simply the picks
To build upon this point, Borgstrom has a low probability, high reward state which makes trading him tough.
It would make more sense to trader him for a similar prospect who could use a change of scenery

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Thought there was an offer made to Toronto and they said no..?
Well the Panthers GM came out and said he was just doing his due diligence with the negotiations at the time, between the Panthers and Weegar and his agent.
The local writer that covers the Panthers never said Weegar was being shopped, or any offer was made to Toronto. Toronto media on the other hand said the Panthers talked about a trade with Toronto that Toronto turned down.
I choose to believe the local writer down here and the Panthers GM. Along with the fact that it made no sense to be shopping Weegar in our situation.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Borgstrom to the Isles for Kiefer Bellows?

Isles need some center depth and the Panthers need a winger. Both have minimal NHL experience and are ready for bottom 6 play.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Borgstrom to the Isles for Kiefer Bellows?

Isles need some center depth and the Panthers need a winger. Both have minimal NHL experience and are ready for bottom 6 play.

I don't mind Bellows as we need LW depth, would prefer Wilde as FLA need D prospects but that would be an interesting prospect swap if FLA moves on from Borgstrom

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I don't mind Bellows as we need LW depth, would prefer Wilde as FLA need D prospects but that would be an interesting prospect swap if FLA moves on from Borgstrom

Until the Isles have a better feel for Wilde he isn't going to be traded unless it's for a proven NHL scorer as part of a package.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd wait. Borgstrom will have more opportunity this year with the Panthers loosing some players. So many guys only figure things out from 23, 24, 25+.

Ya I was going to say the other half of FLA fans haven't fully given up on him. I fall into this group and think he should be tried as LW to take some responsibility off his game.
He was tried on Lundells wing before the Liiga shutdown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad