Proposal: Weber To Toronto

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Is this off limits due to the Habs/Leafs rivalry or can it happen?

My two proposals:
Weber at 25% retained for 2 1sts, 3rd and Dermott or Niellsen

Weber at 66% retained for Liljegren and a 1st

I think depending on the direction Montreal wants to go in volume or pure talent with Lilly being a great prospect and the 1st too, they could both work.

What do you guys think, is there a deal to be made around prospects/picks?

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
? The return on the 1st proposal is better than the one in the second ...and less retained

And this will never happen...yea yea Phaneuf phanoof...yea no

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

My two proposals:

I think depending on the direction Montreal wants to go in volume or pure talent with Lilly being a great prospect and the 1st too, they could both work.

Are you allowed to retain 66%?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We're not giving 2 1st's and Dermott to take on Weber's deal. Nor are we giving up Liljegren + 1st to take on Weber's deal.

The first package is basically giving up 3 1st rounders, given we traded down to pick Dermott in the first place from the 1st. And with the way he's been tracking, it makes no sense to sell him low now- relative to how his stock could be.

We'll take our chances in UFA with empty wallets.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
No chance the Leafs take on Weber's contract, especially for top future assets.

Weber at 6 million is very solid, he's still a #1D and the Leafs actually have a very good D core NOT of #1s to surround him with.

He doesn't even need to be the number 1 guy or go to guy which can be Rielly and he can just be there to support.

Weber puts the Leafs D in a very good spot, I don't see what the problem is if we got him at 2.5-6 mill which is a great price for him.

? The return on the 1st proposal is better than the one in the second ...and less retained

And this will never happen...yea yea Phaneuf phanoof...yea no

Depends on how high you are on Lilly, sure it's more retention, but Lilly was once thought of as a #1 pick.

Zilly

Jan 4, 2018
It does make sense to get Weber. But not at that price your asking. Everyone says we need a number 1 defenceman but really we don’t, we need a quality defender that will eat up minutes and stay at home

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Eww, why would the Leafs get Weber and that fatass contract.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Weber at 6 million is very solid, he's still a #1D and the Leafs actually have a very good D core NOT of #1s to surround him with.

Yes Weber would be nice at 6M for a few years....but he has EIGHT more years on his contract. That's why the Leafs stay far away from him.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary

My two proposals:

We're not trading our #1D to Toronto, and 66% retention can't happen to begin with.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Absolutely brutal for the habs...

How is it brutal for the Habs? Can you point me to other offers made for Weber that are better?

We're not trading our #1D to Toronto, and 66% retention can't happen to begin with.

That's fine philosophically speaking, but I fail to see if there were a serious offer from Toronto why you would turn it down.

Weber is an asset, but at full pop, he might get you a late first if that, retention would be needed and if Habs went full rebuild, it wouldn't be the end of the world to eat a good chunk of salary for great pieces coming back that won't even need big contracts until that salary is nearly off the books.

He also doesn't help in terms of the tank and long term, what is the purpose of keeping him around when you could get real assets and furthermore you cannot get real assets for him at full pop.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Lol...2 1sts+? How about Hell no.
Weber is out until after the All star break...why not wait to see how the old ankle heals up 1st.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
How is it brutal for the Habs? Can you point me to other offers made for Weber that are better?

So habs are trading a top 10 defenseman and don't get a single A piece?

To make things even worse, the habs have to retain on Weber? rofl

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

I think top 10 is very generous and even if he were currently top 10, nobody maintains that into their 30s. I think a more accurate representation is that he is a high teens to mid 20s guy who could do very well in the right situation.

That said, his contract is not great and definitely brings his value down, if he were at 6 million, then I believe you could ask for more to begin with, but even then, not much.

This is an honest question, what other offers have you received for Weber (please link them) and considering that I have seen quite a few Rangers fans agree with me on McDonaugh who is on a far better contract for Lilly and 2 1sts, why should the Leafs give up Nylander++? Do you think Weber at his current contract is ++ better than McDonaugh?

I believe both offers are fair (hence why Leafs fans and Habs fans don't like them), but if you can prove me wrong and show me other offers that have received good endorsement from other teams fans, I will happily concede your point.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Two late first, a 3rd, and two B prospects for a top 10 defenseman?
Thats pretty awful

If Weber were to be traded to Toronto, it would be Nylander++
Lol....Jesus....the Leafs would never do the deal you are calling awful....zero chance they move Nylander for Weber let alone 2 plusses...top 10....lol, keep him.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Weber isn't a top 10 defenseman. This isn't 2014 anymore.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Weber/Subban trade was horrible when it was made....it looks worse now....it will continue to look even worse as time goes on. As a Leafs fan, i have no interest in helping Montreal salvage something out of that mistake. I have absolutely zero interest in trading multiple 1sts+ or anything revolving around Nylanser/Marner etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad