OT: Our PDO sucks. Let's lighten the mood! Free Slurpees & Bagel Brawls

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Gary McLain didn't go to Uniondale. I played soccer. I scored my first goal against EM. Uniondale was good back then. Lost twice in county finals when I was there. I graduated in 77.

You were playing soccer right when they were making the big push for soccer clubs on Long Island.

Was Baba Booey around class of 80?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
You were playing soccer right when they were making the big push for soccer clubs on Long Island.

Was Baba Booey around class of 80?

Baba Booey was class of 79 I believe. I played soccer right before clubs got big. I just played for the school during season. By comparison my youngest son played travel soccer and it was a year round commitment. This was in addition to playing on the school team. It was crazy to see him leave a school practice to go to a practice with his travel team. No wonder these kids get burnt out on playing.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Baba Booey was class of 79 I believe. I played soccer right before clubs got big. I just played for the school during season. By comparison my youngest son played travel soccer and it was a year round commitment. This was in addition to playing on the school team. It was crazy to see him leave a school practice to go to a practice with his travel team. No wonder these kids get burnt out on playing.

Yes kids today play sports year round, have trainers, and it is a money pit for adults and the kids end up burning out for sure, I had a travel soccer team for a few years with my son but he ended up hating the game and it was AAU basketball from there.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
My youngest played ice hockey for a couple of seasons. The money I spent on that could have bought that Tesla I wanted. When I was a kid they flooded the tennis courts and we played at night. I had the same pair of skates for several years and 1 stick.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My youngest played ice hockey for a couple of seasons. The money I spent on that could have bought that Tesla I wanted. When I was a kid they flooded the tennis courts and we played at night. I had the same pair of skates for several years and 1 stick.

I don't understand the stick/skate obsession some people go through. I'll use a stick until it snaps or I can't actually use it anymore, same with skates. Why do these kids need new sticks and skates all the time (aside from growing)?

Reactions: eoin92

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I don't understand the stick/skate obsession some people go through. I'll use a stick until it snaps or I can't actually use it anymore, same with skates. Why do these kids need new sticks and skates all the time (aside from growing)?

I think it is all about having the latest equipment. They are brainwashed into thinking it gives them an edge. My son played tennis and every season it was new rackets. Somewhere in my basement I still have an old wooden racket. Still works fine.

Reactions: bigtim1988

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

well, maybe with a better stick you'd be riding shot-gun with McDavid in picturesque Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

My son plays and I've coached off and on, I blame the parents for the most part. It's so competitive and the extra hour of training or the few grams lighter a stick is, they have disposable income and just buy them everything. It's absurd.

They spend $300 on a stick that the kid's not strong enough to flex, and it's so light, but they wrap layers of hockey tape to make it heavy again. And most kids aren't even good hockey players. They just want the coolest things.

It's a status thing more than anything. And kids, as early as 8-9 years old, know the good sticks/brands, what the pros use, they want the same things.

I explain all this crap to my son all the time, the marketing/branding, how pros use stuff because they get it for free, how much they make from this stuff, how it doesn't make you better and why it doesn't. For me, it's less about the money and more about him understanding the manipulation around him - because that will be around forever. See: Garth Snow - "we're always looking to improve the team"

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My son plays and I've coached off and on, I blame the parents for the most part. It's so competitive and the extra hour of training or the few grams lighter a stick is, they have disposable income and just buy them everything. It's absurd.

They spend $300 on a stick that the kid's not strong enough to flex, and it's so light, but they wrap layers of hockey tape to make it heavy again. And most kids aren't even good hockey players. They just want the coolest things.

It's a status thing more than anything. And kids, as early as 8-9 years old, know the good sticks/brands, what the pros use, they want the same things.

I explain all this crap to my son all the time, the marketing/branding, how pros use stuff because they get it for free, how much they make from this stuff, how it doesn't make you better and why it doesn't. For me, it's less about the money and more about him understanding the manipulation around him - because that will be around forever. See: Garth Snow - "we're always looking to improve the team"

Remember when rainbow gloves and bright pink stuff was "in"? It was horrible. I still can't understand why any parent would allow that.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I just got home from kid rock at the rock .....probably the worst concert I've ever been to...

Aside from his pro guns and Jesus BS....everything was a cover song.

That's $66 I'll never get bsck.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I just got home from kid rock at the rock .....probably the worst concert I've ever been to...Aside from his pro guns and Jesus BS....everything was a cover song. That's $66 I'll never get bsck.

Go see Tommy Emmanuel. If you know anything about guitar, you will feel like you went to heaven. And he's a funny and fun entertainer too.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just got home from kid rock at the rock .....probably the worst concert I've ever been to...

Okay, at first I thought you were talking about a rock concert for children and was quite confused. :laugh:

Surprised that everything he did was a cover, not surprised by the other two things and I'm more surprised you didn't anticipate that going in.

I heard an interesting interview with him on Howard Stern a few years ago where he was talking about how he makes more money now doing concerts than he used to because he's not working with the traditional people that arrange everything.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Tonight I have tix to Frozen on Broadway . Hopefully it's a little better than last night's show.

I bought these for my wife 4+months ago for my wife for Xmas. I picked today so I wouldn't miss a crucial march NYI game. Little did I know....

Reactions: Bones45

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I was at the show and thought it was great. Even though I would classify myself as a libertarian with conservative leanings (or a classical liberal if you really want to get technical) and agree with Kid Rock politically more times than not I don't care to have politics rammed down my throat at a concert regardless of what they are. If I want to hear a talk about politics I'll go see Mark Steyn, Walter Williams or Ron Paul.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As a thing to cheer us up can someone post the clip of Bob McKenzie absolutely murdering Mad Mike with the most savage put down ever executed on not just NBCSN but any NHL broadcast ever?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
When I was buying my newest pair of skates, I ran into a guy who was telling me how he was there to get a new pair cause the ones from last season were getting too beat up. Idk what men’s league this guy was playing in that he needed new skates every season. I didn’t wanna tell him I had my skates for about 15 years and was only getting new ones cause the tuxx cracked. 20 games worth of beer league shouldn’t warrant a new pair of skates.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When I was buying my newest pair of skates, I ran into a guy who was telling me how he was there to get a new pair cause the ones from last season were getting too beat up. Idk what men’s league this guy was playing in that he needed new skates every season. I didn’t wanna tell him I had my skates for about 15 years and was only getting new ones cause the tuxx cracked. 20 games worth of beer league shouldn’t warrant a new pair of skates.

I play at minimum 50 games per year in inline and my newest pair of skates are like 5 years old or so. The only reason I get new equipment is because the old ones stop functioning properly.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I think it is all about having the latest equipment. They are brainwashed into thinking it gives them an edge. My son played tennis and every season it was new rackets. Somewhere in my basement I still have an old wooden racket. Still works fine.

Reminds me of when I played baseball, and certain kids got new, 200-300 dollar bats every year. I loved all the dif bats; I'd wait a year, and buy them on Ebay for 1/3 of the price. Louisville Slugger Omaha Gold/omaha classic, Air Attack 2, Easton ConneXion FTW!

It's ridiculous tho; you can either hit, or you can't--doesn't matter if you have a 200 dollar bat, or a 20 dollar bat.

The cost of hockey equipment is absurd, it's basically the main thing that prevented me from playing organized hockey. Too much of a financial burden on my parents--for most parents I suppose

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
This weekend is one of the best in sports. Up there with NFL Divisional Playoffs, Kentucky Derby weekend and that weekend in late October/November when you get World Series, NFL and NHL games.

Who ya got in the tourney? I have Michigan St. over UNC. Heels try to go back to back but Sparty takes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad