I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

This guy:
felix unger.png

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
He signed before Bedard.
Would you want to sign immediately with an organization that swept years of repeated abuse under the rug?
Two way deal, earning $82,500 at the AHL level, a level he cannot currently play at while signed with the Canes.

So, uh, how's progress coming on that one, Donny?
Guessing we'll just loan him to the SHL for a few years until he's ready to come over

Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Can someone explain the point of signing him so soon to me? Wouldn’t be better to not burn ELC years while he develops outside the NHL? Or does the team think he’ll be that good within 1-2 years

Reactions: geehaad

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Can someone explain the point of signing him so soon to me? Wouldn’t be better to not burn ELC years while he develops outside the NHL? Or does the team think he’ll be that good within 1-2 years
Likely his swedish deal is over (saving us the transfer fee) and we will loan him to Sweden for however many years. His contract will roll over for as many as 2 seasons unless he plays more than 10 games for Carolina during that time.

I.e, unless he plays games for us his contract won’t start ticking down until the 25-26 season.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Everything @Gocanes0506 said. Plus, having him signed gives Canes much more control over his development, wherever it happens. Also, the $85k signing bonus helps him financing his staying in Sweden and playing better class hockey.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
we are seeing a sea change in the league regarding teams trying to take back control of player development and the "when," of their access to a player. there used to be something of an honor system in place with heavy influence from agents in alignment with nhl executives to sign where you were drafted when you were told to sign with not a lot of deviation from the norm. the NCAA was a rarely chosen option for top prospects because it was considered a much more physical grind playing with grown men and investing a lot in 30-40 games whereas CHL kids got a few seasons of 70 games to do their thing without the academics. times have changed considerably. now that the NCAA is allowed to financially recruit players in the wide open, the CHL is losing relevance and power aside from the opportunity to play competitively from 15-16 where NCAA bound players don't really get that experience unless they can make the development team. but the reward, so to speak, for the NCAA kids is that they're insulated to a degree from bad situations. the financial reality is that a lot of these kids don't need their ELC money right away. so if they can burn a year of NCAA hockey in their draft season, they are 2-3 years away from picking their spot and have that leverage in negotiations. all the while they're still being paid and living like kings on campus. as much as the kids love it, the parents love it even more because it's closer to traditional and the kids still get to come home in the summer and on holidays and the games being on the weekends, etc. still partially insulated from the realities of the NHL world and lifestyle.

the european talent has a bit of the same flavor with drafted kids not being in any hurry or being pressured by their home clubs to sign lengthy deals. our respective situations with morrow and nikishin of having what we might feel are 2 nhl ready potential stars we can't access is a motivator to approach these players about signing as soon as they're receptive to it. that way, we can move them around the way the organization wants. the interesting deviation that our ownership is taking is trying to really establish the russian pipeline to create a comfort level here. it's a really interesting strategy.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Every time I've watched, he's looked really good. Creative, smooth, passes well, and while I haven't seen anything to write home about on the shot, he seemed to be getting some decent tips at times. Hopefully, he keeps on growing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad