Speculation: We Should be Sellers

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
We desperately need a top four D man for Rielly and a solid 3rd line centre at the very least.

that isn’t going to happen this season which is a write off.

honestly whoever’s decision it was to waste a quarter of a season on Babcock needs to be fired. It was clear as day this team didn’t want to play for him and the leafs have been playing catch-up ever since.

Reactions: The Iceman

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Looking at the team we have dressed tonight we are not good.
Marincin, Barrie, Muzzin, Dermott, Sandin, Holl would be bottom third of the league for D

take out our top 6 and we stink.

Reactions: MJK

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is trending that Dubas will be a seller more than a buyer. He dumped the idiot Babs, and brought in his boy to coach his players. How much longer do we need to conclude that his roster is the problem ?

Reactions: coupe93

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I'd be interested in selling Barrie for sure. Could use the assets gained in the offseason to go after a RHD.

Would send a message to the team that's for sure

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I don’t know about being sellers, consider anything if the offer is good enough. But I definitely don’t want to see them being aggressive buyers. There aren’t any deals out there that will put the team “over the hump.” Any additions you make now are simply to scrape into the playoffs.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
After we are rid of Barrie and Andersen, I would love to spend the $22 million locked up in Tavares and Marner on different parts.

Perhaps... but it's not that easy. We absolutely need to clear Ceci's cap, and probably Johnsson too. We don't have the defensive pieces to really test whether or not we can win with the forward group. Dermott has underperformed, Holl has struggled down the stretch, and Rielly has also had a down year. The entire back line needs a rebuild. I'm even questioning if Holl is worth building around. If hes your 3RD is Lily ready for 2RD duties next year? What about 1RD? It's a bit of a mess.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I would honestly be aggressively looking to see what we can get for Barrie, Kapanen and Marner.

Barrie on many other teams would be a stellar acquisition. He has proven to be a top 10 offensive d-man in the league but in our system he flounders. Kapanen has attitude problems and we can see that, he also has tunnel vision and honestly just needs to go. Marner is my unpopular decision but he would field a large large return and our greatest hope for multiple needed assets. Im not trying to start any rumours or anything, but remembering back to the days of the country club fellas Muskoka 5, that Marner and some of the fellas have a similar young, free wheeling lazy attitude that is affecting the room. Might be in our best interest to break that cycle right now and get a really really nice return to rebuild the core a bit.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
It is trending that Dubas will be a seller more than a buyer. He dumped the idiot Babs, and brought in his boy to coach his players. How much longer do we need to conclude that his roster is the problem ?
I'm already there.
All aboard.
Tank nation.png

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sellers? Not with having AM, JT,MM, and MR. got to try to win it all with these guys around.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
We didn’t have Barrie last year and we didn’t pay Tavares and Marner $22 million.
Just for the record I was only talking about JT and MM. I'm with you about Barrie.

There's plenty of teams out there that would gladly put the 22M of JT and MM on their first line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just for the record I was only talking about JT and MM. I'm with you about Barrie.

There's plenty of teams out there that would gladly put the 22M of JT and MM on their first line.

That’s good to know. Gives us options to move them if the situation arises and we need to pivot.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
The problem is the D, lets not get off track. Our D is so inept at playing defence that its so hard to roll with 4 guys on the PK and it shows.

They are getting eaten alive, and its killing the team. You had 1 job Dubas, trade Kadri for a defensive right D, instead you got a offensive first, who's so bad defensively that you have rookies and AHL d-men ahead of him on PK.

Very frustrated to see how Dufus has handled the team. We're still young but he's wasting years.

Reactions: Steven1562

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
We should fire our incompetent GM's and hire a competent management to assess the situation.

Reactions: Crysis

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
The problem is the D, lets not get off track. Our D is so inept at playing defence that its so hard to roll with 4 guys on the PK and it shows.

They are getting eaten alive, and its killing the team. You had 1 job Dubas, trade Kadri for a defensive right D, instead you got a offensive first, who's so bad defensively that you have rookies and AHL d-men ahead of him on PK...

Dubas is on record saying he has a bias about how he views defense and this is the d corps he wanted.

He's not the guy to build a real d corps.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
In my opinion Leafs should rarely be sellers. They simply need to manage the cap better so that they can spend as needed to improve.

I can see Barrie and even Kapanen traded, it wouldn't be a salary dump though, it would be to fill their gaps. This close to a playoff spot, you have to tweak and try and do something. Get in and anything is possible. At very least, it builds their experience and helps determine who wants it.

This is why when the all-star break came I created the post "should Dubas make a splash and wake up the troops"? I could see a team without that push needed and I felt something should be done to give them that push. They need more than one line, hell, really one player of late, to make the playoffs. Matthews is good, he isn't that good.

I say, make some trades and roll the dice a little. It probably wont be a splash now, but I would try to find one if possible. You know who your nucleus is. Can you surround that nucleus with the gamers needed to win? This team needs some balance, they are particular light in the back end, and that's not good when other teams feel they can will their way to the net.

The injuries change things from both sides of the ledger. The worst is just missing out on the post season because you couldn't find your balls to take some risk. It just has to be done, IF it is there. You aren't going to hand other GM's your talent, but you can find a win/win.

Win or lose, you can at least say you did something and figure it out in the offseason.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Need to sell Muzzin along with Barrie. Run LD next year with Mo, Dermott and Sandin. Bottom pair RD with Lilijgren. At the draft you have the picks acquired from Barrie and Muzzin along with Kapanen, AJ, Kerfoot and Marner on the table for 2 good RD.

Need to acquire a solid 3C who can kill penalties and be an effective matchup C who is capable of shadowing top 2 centermen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad