Post-Game Talk: We lost again

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
Jesus Christ is Pacioretty allowed to say anything without you guys criticizing him? Like really him complimenting another player is now news worthy. This season can't end soon enough.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Price is > Quick, so of course that would be seen as a slight. But Doughty is > Subban so I don't see this as an accurate comparison.

Is that so ? I really don't think it's that clear cut. I see two different players on two vastly different teams.

I wonder how Subban would look on the kings, and how Doughty would look on the habs and how perceptions would change if their situations were reversed.

As for Price > Quick. Quick did win the most prestigious individual award a player can win while Price hasn't. Price's one amazing season pitted against Quick's Conn Smythe and 2 cups. I think it's really hard to make such clear cut demarcations between players at the top.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Is that so ? I really don't think it's that clear cut. I see two different players on two vastly different teams.

I wonder how Subban would look on the kings, and how Doughty would look on the habs and how perceptions would change if their situations were reversed.

As for Price > Quick. Quick did win the most prestigious individual award a player can win while Price hasn't. Price's one amazing season pitted against Quick's Conn Smythe and 2 cups. I think it's really hard to make such clear cut demarcations between players at the top.

Price is a much better goaltender than Quick. As you just said with Subban and Doughty, two different teams.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Jesus Christ is Pacioretty allowed to say anything without you guys criticizing him? Like really him complimenting another player is now news worthy. This season can't end soon enough.

He's playing poorly, he's not physical, he's not offering intangibles, he's not a good passer, he's been captain during this unbelievable and infuriating collapse... He deserves a lot more criticism, he's embarrassing out there.

Snipers shouldn't be captains. I wonder why our "brain" trust didn't figure...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Price is a much better goaltender than Quick. As you just said with Subban and Doughty, two different teams.

I would like to see Price be as dominant in the post season as he's been in the last regular season. But for a multitude of reasons, not all of them team related, we haven't seen that yet. On the other hand Quick has done that. The year of their first cup, Quick almost single-handedly brought the kings to the playoffs, and then won the Conn Smythe. What kind of weight should be given to that season Quick had years ago in the evaluation that one player is better than the other ?

If you only look at last season, then yeah sure, Price>Quick. But things aren't so simple. And there's something to be said for a player who has proven he can get it done in the playoffs. I'm not saying Quick>Price, I'm just saying it's a very debatable opinion to go one way or the other. Just like for Doughty and Subban.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He's playing poorly, he's not physical, he's not offering intangibles, he's not a good passer, he's been captain during this unbelievable and infuriating collapse... He deserves a lot more criticism, he's embarrassing out there.

Snipers shouldn't be captains. I wonder why our "brain" trust didn't figure...

The players voted him as captain.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
I would like to see Price be as dominant in the post season as he's been in the last regular season. But for a multitude of reasons, not all of them team related, we haven't seen that yet. On the other hand Quick has done that. The year of their first cup, Quick almost single-handedly brought the kings to the playoffs, and then won the Conn Smythe. What kind of weight should be given to that season Quick had years ago in the evaluation that one player is better than the other ?

If you only look at last season, then yeah sure, Price>Quick. But things aren't so simple. And there's something to be said for a player who has proven he can get it done in the playoffs. I'm not saying Quick>Price, I'm just saying it's a very debatable opinion to go one way or the other. Just like for Doughty and Subban.

I really don't think it's even really debatable, Quick has been an amazing playoffs goalie but at the same time has only been "average to good" in the regular season. If we're arguing about career accomplishments than Quick has the advantage but if it's about who is the better goalie currently than it's hands down Carey Price.

The total collapse this season when Price went down should be proof enough as to just how good he is.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Price is > Quick, so of course that would be seen as a slight. But Doughty is > Subban so I don't see this as an accurate comparison.

Doughty > Subban is as subjective as Price > Quick. All 4 of these players have received nominations for the major trophies in their position for regular season. Quick has a Conn Smythe Trophy, Vezina Nomination and currently one of the goalies in the running for a Vezina. Price is injured and has question marks of whether he can return to form from injury. The point isn't even Price vs Quick, the only reason I brought up Quick is because Doughty was brought up in the comparison from same team/game. You might as well swap Quick for Lundqvist, the point is still the same: It's dumb to suggest opposition player is best in the league when you have a teammate arguably capable of having same honor.

That's not a comparison.

Price is the best goalie in the league and is generally regarded as that through most hockey circles. PK is not the best defenseman in the league and is regarded as such throughout most hockey circles.

Well your example was of future hall of famer vs Pacioretty. Price has the Vezina/Hart hardware over Quick...but so does Subban over Doughty. Quick has a Conn Smythe and will likely be in the running for the Vezina this season. The point is showing how Quick (Conn Smythe, Vezina finalist, possible Vezina finalist this season) > Price (Vezina/Hart Winner last season, injured this season) can be seen as a slight to Price and comparing it to Doughty (Norris Nominee last season + probably going to be in the running to lose to Karlsson this season) vs Subban (Norris winner + Nominated last season + probably going to be in the running to lose to Karlsson this season). Doesn't matter whether it's true, Doughty/Subban are elite D in same league. Quick (or Lundqvist) is in same league as Price. A teammate calling the other the best in the league is not the same as complimenting OV or Kane to Pacioretty/Gallagher.

You don't compliment opposition goalies to be best in the league in their position while Vezina winner Price is on team same way you don't while Norris winner Subban is on team. Common sense IMO. No one will care if Habs player called Kopitar/Toews/Bergeron best two way center in the league because Plekanec isn't close to the top in that honor. No one will care if Habs player called OV best LW in the league because Pacioretty not close to OV's goal scoring league. No one will care if Habs player called Kane best RW in the league because Gallagher not close to his level. When you have Subban/Price, it looks like a slight to blatantly suggest that opposition is better. Nothing wrong with thinking it, but it's really dumb for him to come out and say it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad