We. Have. HOCKEY!

• Thread starter Leafs For Life*
  • Start date

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
It would probably be Ellis, right? I don't know how contracts figure in, but it makes more sense from the standpoint of bringing up the veteran guy who has more NHL experience and might be a little too good to stay in the AHL on a tryout.

As I understand it, Ellis has nothing tying him to the Canes/Charlotte, and could head wherever he wants to go.

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/?article_id=1278

Edit: Whoops, out of practice. I meant to say that with Ellis, it's probable that if he's not the backup, he's gone. Or at least as I read the Checkers article.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
As I understand it, Ellis has nothing tying him to the Canes/Charlotte, and could head wherever he wants to go.

http://gocheckers.com/news/checkers/?article_id=1278

Edit: Whoops, out of practice. I meant to say that with Ellis, it's probable that if he's not the backup, he's gone. Or at least as I read the Checkers article.

I'm the one out of practice. I forgot Boosh was even still a 'Cane! It'll be interesting to see how he looks in camp.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Is he back to playing condition? I haven't heard anything since he had the last injury.

Reading from tweets he seems to be training but isn't 100% recovered yet.

@ice_chip said:
Muller said still evaluating Checkers. If Boucher is healthy, could remain backup in goal, with Ellis, Peters remaining with Checkers.

@ice_chip said:
Another option is Boucher getting in games in Charlotte, putting either Ellis or Peters into the mix quickly.

This was re-tweeted today by Chip:
@tpanotchCSN said:
Nodl and Boucher up here right now practicing but will join the Hurricanes when camp opens

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Tlusty is overseas. McBain was overseas for a while, but I thought I read he came back..not sure though. Checkers will lose Faulk, likely Bowman (who the Canes didn't put on waivers) and maybe Sanguinetti or Gragnani and one other forward?

McBain is in Raleigh, and I think Gragnani is injured. I don't think they'll run with 7 defensemen anyway, unless Murphy makes the team or Muller really likes somebody in camp.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jokinen as third line C is an awful idea. I can't think of worse linemates for him than anyone in our untalented bottom six.

I'm not saying I want him there, just based on how he's been used in the past and the other available options, I'm just guessing he will be used there. Unless someone like Dalpe, Nash, or Welsh steps up..which will surprise me, what other options are there?

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
I'm not saying I want him there, just based on how he's been used in the past and the other available options, I'm just guessing he will be used there. Unless someone like Dalpe, Nash, or Welsh steps up..which will surprise me, what other options are there?
I'd rather have an undeserving 3rd line C than completely waste Jokinen's talents. He needs to play wing and he needs to play with someone who can convert off his passes.

There's always Tim Brent.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'd rather have an undeserving 3rd line C than completely waste Jokinen's talents. He needs to play wing and he needs to play with someone who can convert off his passes..

That's fair, and I agree with that, but unless there is an at least serviceable 3rd line Center that steps up, I am guessing Jokinen will end up there...as has happened on occasion in the past.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd rather have an undeserving 3rd line C than completely waste Jokinen's talents. He needs to play wing and he needs to play with someone who can convert off his passes.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the consensus knock on Bowman been that he has an elite wrister but the inability to get his own shot? If so, Bowman can certainly convert off his passes from the 3rd line. Let Jokinen do the playmaking, hope Bowman is intelligent enough to put himself in the right place for Jussi to hit him on the tape.

I do agree with you overall though, ideally he'd be a winger but unless we sign Arnott or Nash or Welsh brings it during camp we really don't have the personnel to do anything else.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
In the shortened season, we can probably afford to play each Staal around 24 minutes a game (18 ES, 3 PP and 3 SH) without either one burning out. Assuming that the lines (mainly Skinner and whomever we stick on Jordan's right side) can handle the minutes defensively, we don't really need to have a good third line- just one that won't suck defensively while both Staal's get a breather.

Looking at cap geek, the names that jump out to me are Jochen Hecht and Daymond Langkrow. Both are Free Agents at the moment.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
In the shortened season, we can probably afford to play each Staal around 24 minutes a game (18 ES, 3 PP and 3 SH) without either one burning out. Assuming that the lines (mainly Skinner and whomever we stick on Jordan's right side) can handle the minutes defensively, we don't really need to have a good third line- just one that won't suck defensively while both Staal's get a breather.

I think that's a bit much for both of those Center's, especially if they aren't in Game shape yet (which I doubt they are). But I do agree Eric and Jordan will take the lion share of minutes.

Brent had about 8.5-9 min / game at center even strength last year and that would probably remain about the same so I still think the Canes are going to need a 3C who can take up 10-15min / night depending on the game.

Maybe we should start a "line-up" thread for all these discussions as it is scattered across a couple of threads.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think that's a bit much for both of those Center's, especially if they aren't in Game shape yet (which I doubt they are). But I do agree Eric and Jordan will take the lion share of minutes.

Brent had about 8.5-9 min / game at center even strength last year and that would probably remain about the same so I still think the Canes are going to need a 3C who can take up 10-15min / night depending on the game.

Maybe we should start a "line-up" thread for all these discussions as it is scattered across a couple of threads.

Was thinking the same thing, but was ultimately too lazy to make the thread.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Wouldn't be fair to the rest of the teams in the league. Babchuk-Staal-Staal down the middle? Pittsburgh would be green with envy.

you have the order wrong, it should be Staal-Babchuk-Staal. Babchuk with a Staal on each wing....like a little slice of heaven on earth. And you could play them the whole game, except for when Chad's smile is playing, of course.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
BACAhfyCUAAJf-p.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad