GDT: We have another game tonight

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Just like Tuesday night, sometimes you just gotta win in difficult ways. Shootout? Hey, we're undefeated in them thus far this season. Take the two points and get back home to Raleigh baby!

Also, 60 points in 35 games. Just keep rolling like Limp Bizkit said, man.

No dumbass, the team has played 40 games, look at @VAcaniac post. Of course you would quote Limp Bizkit here.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
And I've apparently been tasked with creating the GDT for it.

So...have at it.
Great GDT, and a win.

Just this thought lingers. Maybe quarter or half assing it wins too? Not going further down that road for sure, but never know.

Three quarters or full blown GDT would be a certain loss, even with this team.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Now when I see that scene I just picture it with Michael Bolton..

819272c50a22e1b8da3575704a8f6757.jpg

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Weren't you also complaining about how the Canes played against Vegas?
Now we're complaining about how we weren't complaining about X vs Y? Let's start complaining how we are complaining about complaining. Then when all the underpants are in a knot, we can try stop complaining and start just chilling and enjoying this f'n team that steals wins when they underperformed. If I got the final score right.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
The important take away tonight is that we can play like garbage and still pull out a win. This is what elite teams do. This is an exception and shouldn’t be relied on as a standard. I’m sure Rod isn’t all grins over tonight’s performance.

Honestly im surprised about how many people still blather in GDTs about how we can never comeback. Were shutout or whatever.

I think this team is just as resilient as the 06 team if not more. They’re always finding a way to lurk around.

Might take an amazing move by Necas, a lacrosse move by Svech, or a speed burst by Aho, but they will find a way.

Or, lest I forget, 10 great saves by Andersen.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
The important take away tonight is that we can play like garbage and still pull out a win. This is what elite teams do. This is an exception and shouldn’t be relied on as a standard. I’m sure Rod isn’t all grins over tonight’s performance.
I've said it several times now, but after years of 'good' losses under Pastor Bill, I'll take the ugly wins and not complain about them too much.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
In fairness, the last two seasons, Andersen has not been good in Toronto. Granted, last season he struggled with injuries, but both Campbell and Hutchinson played better than Andersen last year so this wasn't because of Toronto's defense (which, contrary to popular belief has been much better since Babcock left and Keefe took over).

On top of that, he has let in a softy at key game 7s in the playoffs (so did Campbell last year though). That doesn't absolve the rest of the Leafs for not being able to score in key games though and folding under pressure.

His best ever season was a .923 SV% in 28 games followed by a .919 in 43 games. There's bound to be a regression with him, especially as the schedule gets tougher. That's ok though. Canes can play better defensively than they have and the Canes have the offensive fire-power to overcome less than stellar goaltending.

The best way to prevent Andersen from giving up a soft goal in game 7s is to win every series in 6 games or less. :naughty:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't think we played great, but I don't see the narrative that we played like shit. The ice was horribad last night, like outrageously bad August 100 degrees in PNC arena in the 4th overtime period after Dennis Seidenberg personally skated every square inch twice over with his noisy skates. It was like that the whole game. So a skill game won't work as well here. Our passes and skating was more off than usual, and a lot of that is directly attributable to the ice not being smooth and predictable. It was our first time in this barn this year I think, and also with no crowd. So it's a weird game from the get-go.

Ottawa had more shots than us, and Freddie totally saved our bacon in OT. But most of Ottawa's shots period were far away, and almost all of ours were up close. Also both Ottawa goals were fortuitous deflections. For a second I blamed Freddie for the 2nd, but upon seeing the replay there was almost no chance he could get that deflection.

I didn't think we looked like world champs tonight, but I don't see the argument there that we should be too concerned, even if we lost. I still think we're an elite team, and I still maintain that it'd be nice to get a 2nd pairing defenseman. Ethan Bear looked competent last night, though not great. Svechnikov stood out again, and Niederreiter too. Nino is all hustle. Honestly I am going to miss Nino next year more than Trocheck. They're both heart and soul guys but Nino has really gone hard every shift this year. It will be a mini Tampa moment for us to probably lose both guys and get a huge hit to our depth.

Reactions: Tryamw and Daeavorn

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I guess I didn't notice Ottawa's style in the previous game, but man they are fast. In the opening of the Sens' broadcast, they talked about how the Sens want to be like the Canes, naming a few areas that they admire about the Canes. Given that, I was primed to pay more attention to them, and was very impressed...even without their top goal-scorers in the lineup (I'm counting Norris here). To me, they were the better team most of the night.

I'd be keen for @Sens1Canes2 to weigh in.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sometimes you play a shit team in shit conditions in a shit environment and you have to hope you're good enough to win a fair number of those still. I'm glad we're on that side of the equation now instead of the side of the Senators where you might praise how hard and fast they played but they suck still. All those years of fans coming in peace after yet another spirited loss to tell us how close we were (Narrator: we weren't) were infuriating.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I guess I didn't notice Ottawa's style in the previous game, but man they are fast. In the opening of the Sens' broadcast, they talked about how the Sens want to be like the Canes, naming a few areas that they admire about the Canes. Given that, I was primed to pay more attention to them, and was very impressed...even without their top goal-scorers in the lineup (I'm counting Norris here). To me, they were the better team most of the night.

I'd be keen for @Sens1Canes2 to weigh in.
For a Canes fan to call the Sens “fast” is a pretty big compliment. I’d never thought about it, honestly. Individually, there are certainly fast players - Chabot has the Karlsson speed glide, Formenton might be the fastest guy in the league, and Stutzle can also fly.

We’re just really young. All of our best players are also our youngest.

Matt Murray looks like he’s emerged from his awful-ness, and that’s what’s kept the Sens down for the last 2 or 3 years. The goaltending has been downright pathetic.

But the future is very bright. Sanderson is on the way, Pinto will be back, Colin White could still be useful - I’m pretty optimistic. And patient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad