We have a Big problem -> Joe Bowen...

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
...calling Matthews "Big Papi"

This cannot continue. This is really hokey, base, and uncouth. This nickname makes Bowen seem simple, artless, and uncultured.

Do you people really think that this nickname is appropriate?

It's a rant, but an important one.

This is Big Papi.

david-ortiz.jpg

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
...calling Matthews "Big Papi"

This cannot continue. This is really hokey, base, and uncouth. This nickname makes Bowen seem simple, artless, and uncultured.

Do you people really think that this nickname is appropriate?

It's a rant, but an important one.

This is Big Papi.

david-ortiz.jpg
Sounds like you don't understand why he's being called that name...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Who cares. Most people in Toronto don’t even know who that baseball player is. Matthews is the relevant figure in this town.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I thought his nickname from Arizona was Papi. I think Bowen just added the Big part.

Yes. This.

I know about Papi, but Bowen's Emphatic "Big Papi"?! This needs to die a quick death.

Sorry Joe Bowen. Stick to your old time Three Stooges stuff and "Bells of St. Mary" when someone hits the post.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Papi has been his nickname since he was a kid. I remember hearing this back in 2016 when Matthews was the hot topic before the Leafs even drafted him.

I don't know if he used the word, "Big" in front of it, but that's Joe Bowen for you, but he's awesome, so not that big of a deal.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Papi has been his nickname since he was a kid. I remember hearing this back in 2016 when Matthews was the hot topic before the Leafs even drafted him.

I don't know if he used the word, "Big" in front of it, but that's Joe Bowen for you, but he's awesome, so not that big of a deal.
Yeah, does it really matter if he threw in "big" a few times? It's not like he calls him Big Papi every time he touches the puck.

Moving on...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I agree with the "who cares" part, but the bolded is just not true.

Oh it’s absolutely true. Most people can’t name baseball players who don’t even play for Toronto. They probably couldn’t even name one baseball player who doesn’t play for the Jays. If you think otherwise, you overestimate the degree of sports fandom of Torontonians in the 21st century.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Perhaps we can add this to the remove Romanuk petition.
Save the world two broadcasters at a time!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Oh it’s absolutely true. Most people can’t name baseball players who don’t even play for Toronto. They probably couldn’t even name one baseball player who doesn’t play for the Jays. If you think otherwise, you overestimate the degree of sports fandom of Torontonians in the 21st century.
The people that don't know who David Ortiz is probably don't follow any sports at all, so why would we expect them to know who he is?

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad