Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
At least Montreal’s losing.
IMG_9381.GIF

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Some of these bums made more money than some hard working people make in a year for that performance.

*shakes head*

It's one game. Really not that big a deal. Think of it this way. We've gained one standings point in the past six calendar days and we still hold WC1, tied with MTL but with two fewer games played, and two points ahead of CLB (in the same number of games).

MTL just lost 8-2 to the lowest-scoring team in hockey with Carey Price between the pipes and CLB has to play PIT again tonight. We could lose tomorrow and *still* be WC1. We played really well since Dec. 31. I know it's weird, but every game isn't must-win. With 15 games left, 9-6 probably gets us in.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I don't know. Wow. Worst Canes loss I remember. Not good timing. Habs struggling. CBJ struggling. We need loints. I don't like our chances against Preds on the road. Nino -6. Aho - 5, Faulk/Pesce - 3, Hamilton 0 Staal 0, Saku +1. Wow, wtf.

Reactions: Tryamw and zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Recap: Jets Fly By Canes in 8-1 loss

by Michael Smith
"That was just not us," a dejected Justin Williams offered after the game.
"You name it, we weren't there," Williams said. "You name any play, they won it."
"We didn't have anything going. I don't think there was one part of our game that was any good. We were getting beat right from the beginning," Justin Faulk said. "We made it very, very easy on them."
"It's not something we want to see. Certainly not acceptable," head coach Rod Brind'Amour said. "Haven't had one of those this year, really. Had a couple bad games, for sure, but nothing like that. That's a little shocking. I didn't expect that at all."
"It just counts as a loss at the end of the day," Brind'Amour said. "I think it's probably easier to park that one and move on than if we lost in the last minute or so. We'll see."
"Guys come in, come to work and bring maximum effort every day. That's how we get through that and how we've managed to be where we are today. That's the only way we can look at it tomorrow," Faulk said. "We just need to work and compete. You do that, it's OK. It looks right. Everyone's on board. That's not OK."
In such a run as the Hurricanes have been on since New Year's Eve - a 21-6-2 record entering Friday, which was tied for the most wins and points by any NHL team in that stretch - a game like this was bound to happen.
Recap: Jets Fly By Canes

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
They can use a good ass whipping so they don't forget what got them here.

Smartest thing said in the thread....

McKegg was our best player tonight, and it's not even particularly close.

He absolutely didn't have any quit, but I'd say the whole 4th line played hard all night....the other 16 guys, not so much....

popping back in to say thoughts and prayers to those who stuck around!

I stuck it out in the stands because I felt some misplaced need to do penance for those recent ugly wins. My hope is that we just needed to sacrifice that one to the gods and get it out of our system.

Didn't watch but peg musta been mad about something to score twice with less than a minute to go in a 6-1 game

It was pretty classless in my opinion. I love teams that play to the buzzer, but the last two goals, and especially the last goal, it was clear that the Canes were coasting to the buzzer. I don't ever condone that from a team that has to play the 60 minute "try hard" strategy, but it was what it was.

In the end, particularly the 8th goal was a shitty thing to do. There was a little scrum after the game where one of the Canes clearly took umbrage.

Still, if you don't want that shit to happen don't put out that type of effort. I felt the team actually came out playing pretty well and they seemed to take it to the Jets in the first few minutes....then the 1st goal was scored. The guys seemed like, "....okay, that stuff happens, big rebound, nice slap out of mid-air"....but things fell apart after the 2nd goal and especially the 3rd goal. Sure, I'll give that the guys left McElhinney out to dry too much, but he wasn't particularly sharp. Maybe we've gotten used to him bailing us out.

After the 3rd goal, the guys quit on this game. Plain and simple. It was palatable in the barn. Our best players were playing the worst. I'm hoping beyond hope that this is merely a brain fart, a one-off. But that type of quit is what this team of the last 3 or 4 years would have done. It scares me a little.

And please, the 15 games we have left are going to be a gauntlet like we've not run. Post-season is far from secure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad