• IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
How about some questions while we wait for tonight?

1. How did your love for hockey begin? Did you play, if so what position(s)?

2. What movie have you seen the most times?

3. What is your favourite pastime when you actually have time to relax?

4. Let's reminisce about 2011, other than raising the Cup, what is your favourite memory?

5. Do you have any hidden talents? Music, singing, art, eating chocolate, cooking, gardening?

Reactions: GordonHowe

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

4. Let's reminisce about 2011, other than raising the Cup, what is your favourite memory?

5. Do you have any hidden talents? Music, singing, art, eating chocolate, cooking, gardening?
1) My brother is a big hockey fan and took me to my first game in 1992. I watched games on TV before that but going to my first game really made me the fan I am now.

2) This is a tough call! If I had to guess it’s probably The Shawshank Redemption. The fact that it’s on all the time probably helps that.

3) My wife and I are huge vinyl record collectors and love to go out and hunt for records by our favorite bands. The hobby can drive you nuts but it’s worth it!

4) 2011 was forged by the friendships I made. I got season tickets in 2009 and by 2011, I was friends with all the people I sat with and I’m still friends with them today. We bonded over all those crazy playoff games!

5) I have double jointed thumbs. It’s a great party trick!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I was born into it. Almost literally. Mom and Dad were at playoff game against Rangers. April 3, 1958. Mom went into labor. I was born in the early hours of April 4.

Played goalie most of my life.

The Quiet Man

When my grown kids drop by.

The reaction here that night they won it all. So many had never experienced it.

Not a friggen thing.

• Love
Reactions: caz16 and sooshii

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

1. Watching Bobby Orr.....only pond hockey
2. Grinch
3. Easy.....Kayak Bass Fishing
4. My daughter being all excited at end of 2d period
5. Catching bass LOL...I can fix almost anything around the house.....I make the best omelettes ever

Reactions: BMC and caz16

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Was born into it. Come from a Bobby Orr era hockey family. I was on skates since before I can remember.

Jaws. Every July 4th for the last 30 years.

Music. Playing it (badly) and listening.

Attending the games. I went to one in every series, and it was the best Garden experience I've ever had.

Playing guitar (again, badly). But I'm most proud of my cooking. Also, I've never been beaten at Trivial Pursuit going back to when the original Genus I Edition was released. I'm a treasure trove of useless knowledge.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

1. Grew up in a Bruins family, but the love of hockey came when I was 8. Mighty Ducks came out and everyone immediately started playing street hockey on their rollerblades and with trash cans. Also the same year the P-Bruins started up so we'd go to nearly every home game. My biggest memory is Darren Banks, I dont think I saw a game where he didn't fight. 378 PIM in 83 games

2. Either The Sandlot or Goodfellas

3. Golf. Something fun about working on something you can never be perfect at

4. Got a 3 game pack for Christmas, 1st game was Fight Night against Dallas. 2nd best game I've been at (after 2008 Montreal game 6)

5. Soccer, had a knack for defense and played on a bunch of travel tournament teams growing up

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

1. Both of my parents are huge Bruins fans. My dad had season tickets at the old Garden and I grew up going to games and watching at home. Unfortunately int he 80s, it still wasn't a thing for girls to play hockey so I never played.

2. Probably Major League. Maybe a Christmas movie that we end up watching every year, but non-tradition movies, definitely Major League.

3. Sitting on the beach with a book is my happy place.

4. Bruins related, probably going through that run with my season ticket holder/real life hockey crew. Non-Bruins related, I quit smoking after a Foo Fighters concert on November 16, 2011/early hours of November 17, 2011.

5. I'm a pretty good cook. Not sure I'd call it a hidden talent, but it's a skill.

• Love
Reactions: caz16

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

1. 1977. Dad is a huge Rangers fan, but I hated them. Saw the black and gold unis and the fighting and was like those are my guys. Brad Park was my fave player. Played 4RW and skated terrible so just fought. We had neighborhood leagues.

2. Jaws. My all time fave. About 100 views.

3. Reading

4. Brad Park vs Buffalo 1983. Craig Janney vs the Devils in '88. Finally beating the Habs.

5. Baking, drawing and painting.

• Love

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

1) I fell in love with the Bruins when we moved from England and I saw my first televised game. I never played, skating wasn't something we did in England & I suck at it. One of my best friends in high school played for a girl's hockey team though and she was my idol, she was a mean girl on the ice.

2. American Graffiti (other than Christmas movies)

3. I love reading.

4. I loved that team, all heart and soul, fond memories of Quaider & Thorty defending all season long.

5. I have no real talent, but since I happened to mention eating chocolate, I'll admit I am a chocoholic and eat it every day. My chocolate cupboard is impressive.
Chocolate cupboard.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

1. 1995, a combination of playing hockey games on the SNES and the games starting to be shown on Fox, I got into it fast. I believe the first game I actually watched was a Rangers-Islanders game when we were visiting my grandparents on Long Island. Played a lot of street hockey but never organized ice hockey - I learned to skate and one Christmas did get some equipment but used it like once and never played on any organized kind of team.

2. Probably the Blues Brothers, watched it a lot when I was a teenager. Haven't watched it in a long time though.

3. If I have a whole day to myself, what I like is taking either a book or a laptop to a cafe or fast food place and sitting and reading while I get refills. Aside from that, video games or going on a nature walk of some kind relax me.

4. I was in school during the 2010-2011 year and one of my big memories of that playoff run was coming home to NH for Easter break and watching games 4 and 5 of the Habs series, both OT wins from the comfort of my parents' house. Graduation wound up being the same day as game 1 of the ECF against Tampa. I actually hung around in Pennsylvania for the finals because my lease at my apartment went until the end of July.

5. I've really been getting into cooking lately. I dabble with gardening but don't have a great setup or a green thumb. I like music, played saxophone through high school in concert band and jazz band (got pretty good at jazz), but haven't played since college. Tried some piano and guitar, would kind of like to learn bass but haven't got around to it. It's more for my own interest and not through any desire to perform.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

My father was a speed skater and all-around athlete. By the mid-50s our family had season's tickets to the Red Wings at the old Olympia.

To echo Wally, I was born on Thanksgiving, 28 November, 1963. My dad and uncle were at a game. Gordie scored two, and the joke was that if tallied one more, my name would have been Hat Trick. They had to announce his name over the PA system so he could make it to the hospital.

Our entire family (four boys, four girls) grew up hockey fanatics. Given that he died when I was nine, my lifelong love of hockey is one of the few links I have to him. He gave me that.

Yes, I played. Left wing and defense. I could not skate backward, but years of hockey down in the basement taught me how to stickhandle. I used to play goal down there, too. My brother Greg dubbed me "Mad Man Markus."

Possibly Jaws or The Bad News Bears.

The PBS NewsHour with nosh & tini. Reading.

Or simply resting, checking sites on the web, watching favorites like Frasier, Seinfeld, Bruins Beat/Poke the Bear, etc.

Owning MTL, physically and mentally. Andrew Ferrence and his "glove malfunction."

"Eating chocolate" is a hidden talent?

I write. I used to draw, act, and sing lead in high school and later, "general business" bands.

My current hidden talent is making it to work on time while depending on an utterly undependable public transport system.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I was born into it. Almost literally. Mom and Dad were at playoff game against Rangers. April 3, 1958. Mom went into labor. I was born in the early hours of April 4.

Played goalie most of my life.

The Quiet Man

When my grown kids drop by.

The reaction here that night they won it all. So many had never experienced it.

Not a friggen thing.

My dad played in high school, had me on skates early, and by the time I was 3, I was off and running. I played hockey my entire youth. My dad coached a lot of my teams when I was really young and always made me play defense, which I hated. By the time I was 12, I refused to play defense because I was a center, dammit. I played pick up and in mens leagues after college, but I haven't played much since my twins were born 15 years ago. Probably a good thing though, given the last time I played we'd be lucky if 6 guys showed up at the games. Most of the time it was 5 skaters rotating though playing forward and getting a rest on d. Maybe my dad was onto something afterall....

Any of the original Star Wars movies, Goodfellas, The Sting, Rocky, Anchorman, Step Brothers. Dazed and Confused, The Natural. Seen all of those at least a hundred times.

Used to be golfing and reading. Now it's watching my youngest play softball.

I watched Game 7 with a group of my closest friends from college. We hadn't gotten together very regularly before and since then because of schedules and life being in the way, but we all got together that night and celebrated the cup. Never thought it would happen again in my lifetime, and for me to be old enough to enjoy/appreciate it.

I'm lefthanded but I can write with my right hand as well. I can also play most sports with either hand as well. I also play piano and can draw. My dad covered the sports and my mom covered the arts. Overall, I'd have to say they did a good job exposing me and my siblings to a well rounded view of life.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

i remember seeing cam neely bundle a guy,get the puck and score.
i started playind dek hockey in worcester at 7. didnt play ice until i was 12. Im 47 now but still play in a mens ice league.

2. What movie have you seen the most times?dumb and dumber

discgolf

having sesson tickets at that time and going to all the playoff games.

just a mr fix it

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

I moved from NJ to MA in 1970. Yes, that 1970. My social studies teacher gave extra credit for knowing the 3 stars of the previous night’s game. I’m all about extra credit. He’s also the person who taught me O Canada.

I played street hockey with my brother and his friends- they let me play goalie. When I had to get stitches in my mouth, my Mom made me stop.

2. What movie have you seen the most times? Dirty Dancing

Live music

I’m with Wally. Sharing it with all the LF. Looove that pic of @Kate08 at Sullivan’s.

I can eat chocolate, cook and garden, but my best talent is probably editing copy.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad