GDT: WCSF | VII | "How The West Was Won" | Oilers @ Canucks | 5.20.24 | 7:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Stop freaking out with built in excuses
We have this, the Canucks are done.
The only real question is if we fly directly to Dallas after the game tonight.

Gotta think the Oilers would like to get out of Vancouver asap, and it wouldn't make sense to add another flight during what is sure to be a short break.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Have a feeling Carrick is going to have another big game
He’s the type to chip in in games like this. I remember Max Talbot I think got 2 goals in the finals for the Pens, Sid was injured and they looked out of gas, that’s when the bottom 6 guys step up

Also with Lindholm replacing Boeser I think that gives an extra edge for our bottom 6, Nucks just lost their depth. Who knows maybe their 3rd line goes clutch but it’s two healthy scratches and no Lindholm, Garland or EP on that line.

Reactions: Oilhawks

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Jesus, the Canadian media is really throwing its weight behind the Canucks aren't they? Im listening to the newest 32 thoughts and its all glowing shit about the Canucks and how its all house money for them ( I guess they are picking up on Canucks fan language too) talking about how Tocchett if they win will be the beach of the year.

It's Fridge so whatever. He's insufferable, just like Nucks media . Guy has a huge hate on for Oilers

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Jesus, the Canadian media is really throwing its weight behind the Canucks aren't they? Im listening to the newest 32 thoughts and its all glowing shit about the Canucks and how its all house money for them ( I guess they are picking up on Canucks fan language too) talking about how Tocchett if they win will be the beach of the year.

Like @frag2 said, Friedman is a hardcore Oilers hater

I don't buy the "house money" junk. Game 7 is being played in Vancouver, no? They have dropped a series lead 3 times and had a wobbly series vs their first round WC opponent. (An opponent in transition that was not confident enough to buy at the TDL, to boot.) And this series? They are the higher seed, division winners, regular season series sweep. The mainstream narrative should be that it's their series to lose. There is immense pressure on that team to advance. It would be great to see the media slobbering over them backfire and make them nervous tonight

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The Canucks really struggle with an aggressive dump and chase on their big and slower D men. It was evident live now much they struggled handling the puck under a fast forecheck.

Getting multiple attackers on those slower D men quickly will go a long ways tonight.
Rob Brown said that in game 4 and I agree. He couldn’t understand why the oilers just don’t dump it in and make Vancouvers big D pivot and turn around. They aren’t quick and this is a huge advantage to the forechecker. Instead the Oilers were/are trying to go through a maze of sticks which plays to Vancouvers advantage with those big, tall d men

Reactions: Biltmore

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Victoria Day riot incoming
3FF816DA-224C-4932-BC8E-D916A7A384EF.gif

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I have to admit... bubbling up somewhere allongside my hatred of the 'Nucks is concern for Boeser. That really has to suck for him, and it will hurt the team given the way he's been playing.
I had to admit that right now, as I am sure I will have nothing nice to say about the Canucks again for the foreseeable future.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
In my opinion, the refs that call bad games involving the Oilers are:
Rooney
Schlenker
Hanson
McIsaac
St. Laurent
Pollock
Ghislain Hebert (not Jean, who is the other ref tonight. Jean is pretty decent most of the time)
Lee
Chmielewski
Furlatt
Skillitor
Dwyer
Luxmore
Nicholson

Quite a list but they’re all shit refs, especially the first 6.

Was bullshitting in another thread a while ago discussing reffing. Us old timers talked about how we don't even know most of these first today. They used to be instantly recognizable, even with helmets on, and names off.
Maybe I'm just getting too old

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

If the league was rigging a series then it would be in their interest to have McDrai in the next round over the Canucks. Bettman probably loses sleep every night knowing that the 2 best players on the planet play for a small market Canadian team. If they played for NY they’d probably have 4 Cups by now.

Reactions: jukon

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Like @frag2 said, Friedman is a hardcore Oilers hater

I don't buy the "house money" junk. Game 7 is being played in Vancouver, no? They have dropped a series lead 3 times and had a wobbly series vs their first round WC opponent. (An opponent in transition that was not confident enough to buy at the TDL, to boot.) And this series? They are the higher seed, division winners, regular season series sweep. The mainstream narrative should be that it's their series to lose. There is immense pressure on that team to advance. It would be great to see the media slobbering over them backfire and make them nervous tonight
Especially since this isn’t an up and coming team. This team won’t be back next year as is. Their defence is basically all UFA. Next year could be harsh for them. This is their year. All the house money talk is bs. They were so confident at the start of the series and now that it’s game 7 they are coming up with excuses about how they weren’t supposed to be here and stuff. I don’t buy it either.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Was bullshitting in another thread a while ago discussing reffing. Us old timers talked about how we don't even know most of these first today. They used to be instantly recognizable, even with helmets on, and names off.
Maybe I'm just getting too old
I could probably name 20+ officials from the 70s and 80s, I dont think I could get to 5 names of current officials. Not sure why other than for what you suggest, names on jerseys and helmets etc.. I also thing the game has become more corporate and much less about personalities as it was in the earlier decades, Storey, Hood, DaMico, Fraser, Swede Knox, Randy Mitton, Jay scharrers, Mike Cvik, etc., there was much less of that and it was more personable. I mean officials went for beers and flew the same commercial flights as players and it seemed to permeate into the public knowing more about these guys.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I could probably name 20+ officials from the 70s and 80s, I dont think I could get to 5 names of current officials. Not sure why other than for what you suggest, names on jerseys and helmets etc.. I also thing the game has become more corporate and much less about personalities as it was in the earlier decades, Storey, Hood, DaMico, Fraser, Swede Knox, Randy Mitton, Jay scharrers, Mike Cvik, etc., there was much less of that and it was more personable. I mean officials went for beers and flew the same commercial flights as players and it seemed to permeate into the public knowing more about these guys.
Simpler is often better. Take a look at the 2 referee system with the "control center." Yikes. When you have 6 different camera angles and ultra slow motion replays you would think that the system would be idiot proof--- but its not. Experience and system integration thru personal contacts seem to be more effective in the long run.

Anyway, the refs are set for tonight and so are the rosters. No excuses allowed--just win.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Especially since this isn’t an up and coming team. This team won’t be back next year as is. Their defence is basically all UFA. Next year could be harsh for them. This is their year. All the house money talk is bs. They were so confident at the start of the series and now that it’s game 7 they are coming up with excuses about how they weren’t supposed to be here and stuff. I don’t buy it either.

Yup, this isn’t some young upstart team with a bunch of rookies (goalie aside, but they would not have planned to start him). It’s not even the first time that this core made the playoffs (losing to Vegas in 7 in the bubble after winning their play in vs St Louis). Some mercenary players, some who may be back and others that will move on. This run has taken some pressure off of Petterson but already rumblings of a Huberdeau like contract. Hughes also taking some heat for a mediocre playoffs. JT Miller isn’t a spring chicken and a lot of the core is quickly approaching their 30s as well. Younger than the Oilers but Oilers rentals / UFAs bringing up the average (Henrique and Perry for example).

Both teams have pressure to win and will likely see at least some shakeup in the offseason regardless of how far either make it due to contract status and the cap.

The “house money” thing is all politics and prepackaged cope that they haven’t put this away earlier in the series when everything bounced their way

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If the Oilers win we should all create twitter accounts and just shit talk him.

I used to like Friedman but he’s just like any other national reporter that has a disdain for the Oilers. Considering Bieksa spent most of his career with the Canucks, he’s been the least biased on that panel, which says a lot.

Have a feeling Carrick is going to have another big game
He’s not as aggressive as say a Torres was but Raffi played a huge role in 06 with big hits and just making the other team uncomfortable. If Carrick can channel some of that, he’ll be instrumental.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Simpler is often better. Take a look at the 2 referee system with the "control center." Yikes. When you have 6 different camera angles and ultra slow motion replays you would think that the system would be idiot proof--- but its not. Experience and system integration thru personal contacts seem to be more effective in the long run.

Anyway, the refs are set for tonight and so are the rosters. No excuses allowed--just win.
Well put.

We have a generation that know demands to work exclusively from home, avoiding in entirety this approach. I realized, but not at the time, that the best training and development I ever received from all my years working wasn’t formal training or classroom style delivery but rather, chatting informally with coworkers, subordinates and superiors. They all had things to contribute and share that helped me better understand and be more effective in my professional development and execution of my responsibilities.

Mentorship was and still is, the king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad