GDT: WCSF | VI | "Because It's The Cusp" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 5.18.24 | 6:00PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Ken Holland isn't making roster decisions right now. If he was Pickard wouldn't have started twice. This screams Knobby is forcing his players to not rely on goaltending and forcing them to take it to the Knucks. They got obliterated last game by doing nothing. This is him forcing them to go on the offensive. Not a bad strategy TBH
I understand what you’re saying and think you’re probably right. I just had this exact same conversation with a friend, lol. I think it’s a big risk though. They were the better team in the first 3 games with Skinner in net and lost 2 of them. If Skinner goes off the rails again they’ll lose. It doesn’t matter how many they score for him, he’ll give up one more. Judging by what we’ve seen, that seems to be the most likely outcome.

Even if they don’t rely on goaltending, go balls out, Skinner is gonna give a weak one or 3 back to the Nucks.
That’s the going rate with Skinner.

This is the equivalent of going into a fight with only 1 arm…or no arms even
No arms, no legs and blindfolded.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, hopefully Stu proves us wrong and has a very strong game. Hopefully Holland is right. If not then he is the GM and he has last call--like it or not.

But if they lose tonight then the flood gates for change really open. Who knows what that might encompass?

Just win tonight boys.

Reactions: LTIR

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
This was the moment I found out Skinner was starting:

doc-rivers-not-funny.gif

Followed by:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm ultra disappointed in this team. Thought they were way better than this.
Honestly, I'm not. The holes were apparent all season and they weren't addressed at the deadline. The ceiling for the team was limited as a result.
I was disappointed with the Game 5 effort, that should never be acceptable from a professional hockey team, but I never saw them as a true Cup contender, the roster has an incredible amount of flaws for a top team. Just illustrates the greatness of McDavid and Draisaitl that they're even in a position at all to compete in a playoff series. I'm ultra disappointed in Holland, this team is what it is.

With that said, I'll be cheering like mad as usual tonight and hope for the best. If they lose tonight, this might very well be the end of these Oilers as we know it. Lets hope that we're not typing out a post-mortem tomorrow because it's going to be ugly if that's the case.

Reactions: 29Beast97Mode

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pickard was our best player last game, this makes no sense
Gotta get Shkinny going.

Imagine being Pickard finally getting your chance to play playoff games as a 32 year old and doing everything that they ask of you yet you get replaced by a guy who was lit up numerous times by this team regular and postseason. I know Skinner was their guy throughout the season and there's a higher ceiling with him but... read the room Knoblauch. So dumb

Reactions: TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm 100% on the Pickard train but you have to play Skinner tonight, he is your starter. If he blows it and costs us the game hes forever a backup going forward (in theory). This is managements fault from the start
Yup.
I think that this is exactly whats going on here. The team committed itself to Skinner as the starter.
If they are going to go down then they will go down with the goalie they deem as their starting goalie.

What I dont like is how Holland clearly thought that a combination of Pickard and Skinner was Cup worthy.
If he didnt feel that way he would have resolved the goalie situation at some point during the season.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Oilers will win tonight because 97, Hyman, Drai and Kane will take over. Skinner won’t even matter.

The issue for me will be that he will get the net for game 7. And there is no way Skinner can go into that arena in Game 7 and not hand them the game with a softie. It’s what he does.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm just posting to join in the chorus of "why the f*** are they starting Skinner"?

I find myself often defaulting to siding with the team or management on decisions as us fans don't have the knowledge they do.

But you know what I do have? f***ing eyes.
And the eye test says Moustache has been historically bad in 2 consecutive playoffs and that Pickard has actually given the team a chance to win in both of his starts.

Horribly bad decision in goal tonight. F**k sakes.
35e9f785aac15825e1ea3bf9c834b5f127a4d070.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Starting Skinner makes absolutely no ****ing sense.

The difference in athleticism between him and Pickard is so apparent.

I thought Pickard was our best player last game by a wide margin.
Agree with everything here. Skinner just seems to lag, wether its because of his athleticism or because of his ability to process where the play is going next.
Fatigue/mental fatigue could play a role as I thought he was slightly better during the majority of the regular season, maybe he is better rested now having sat a couple games out but im not optimistic. Benching your best player is absolutely ludicrous.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What an absolute waste of a first round on Henrique.
Two 2nds+1st+4th for virtually no playoff contribution (AA trade added in), the buyouts, Nurse and Campbell contracts, rolling with Skinner-Picard, rolling with Nurse-Ceci. These will be Holland's Oiler legacy unless they miraculously win the Cup this season and that all goes away.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Skinner? are you fking kidding me? makes absolutely no sense.
View attachment 872884

I wont be watching if thats the case, at least I believe in Pickard to make the average save. If Skinner is in my heart wont survive.
The Soucy goal should've been an average save to be honest.

Pickard has done great stats in a short sample, but you're tempting fate by running him longer than he's shown to be comfortable.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yup.
I think that this is exactly whats going on here. The team committed itself to Skinner as the starter.
If they are going to go down then they will go down with the goalie they deem as their starting goalie.

What I dont like is how Holland clearly thought that a combination of Pickard and Skinner was Cup worthy.
If he didnt feel that way he would have resolved the goalie situation at some point during the season.
Yah zero logic to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad