Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
Ah yes

Two more goals than Vegas
One more than Florida
Two more than Boston

So I guess they were better than those teams, right? What a riot
The post said the worst offensive team in the playoffs. The one you're replying to kinda shows that that was factually incorrect. I don't know how you're upset about that.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The team traded a first, a fourth, a fifth, and a prospect who didn't want to sign for two players who were vital to the first round

I don't think you understood my point. My point was teams don't trade those assets without having any expectation of playoff success.

If you have expectations of playoff success, you're not playing with house money. The Canucks management clearly thinks that they can compete with the stronger teams in the NHL. Fans downplaying it as the Canucks are just happy to be here is underselling it.

Reactions: Hammer79

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't think you understood my point. My point was teams don't trade those assets without having any expectation of playoff success.

If you have expectations of playoff success, you're not playing with house money. The Canucks management clearly thinks that they can compete with the stronger teams in the NHL. Fans downplaying it as the Canucks are just happy to be here is underselling it.

I mean... sure, but you said the Canucks were one of the most aggressive teams at the deadline and mortgaged a lot of futures but both of those are false.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I mean... sure, but you said the Canucks were one of the most aggressive teams at the deadline and mortgaged a lot of futures but both of those are false.

I never said mortgaged a lot of futures. I said they've traded futures for rentals which they did. I didn't say they emptied the farm for this run.

The point I'm making is the Canucks should expect more than to just be happy to be in a series with the Oilers if you're trading 1st round picks for rentals. Some Canucks fans are acting like if they get swept by the Oilers they've already exceeded all expectations. If that was the expectations, why are you trading 1st round picks for rentals? You don't see Washington trading their 1st round pick for rentals this year.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The post said the worst offensive team in the playoffs. The one you're replying to kinda shows that that was factually incorrect. I don't know how you're upset about that.

Not upset, just amused. We're talking about literally one or two goals in the season, why would anyone sincerely suggest that they would expect more offense from the Preds than those three teams in the playoffs over one or two goals in the regular season.

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022

They were rewarding the players with some pick ups without really touching the war chest. They didn’t give up all in assets at all.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
They were rewarding the players with some pick ups without really touching the war chest. They didn’t give up all in assets at all.

We disagree on the expectations.

I think the Canucks management saw a team at the top of the Pacific, with JT Miller at 31 years old and in his prime and thought let's go for it. You think they've overachieved and the 1st round pick was traded as a reward for making the playoffs.

Hopefully they don't just trade 1st round picks for rentals every season with no expectation of winning because that's how the farms inevitably dry out.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Oilers/NHL fans can say what they want about Nashville vs Vancouver, and downplay how good Nashville was in the playoffs or think how easy an opponent Nashville 'should've been', but keep in mind Nashville finished ahead of LA in the overall standings.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022

I think the Canucks management saw a team at the top of the Pacific, with JT Miller at 31 years old and in his prime and thought let's go for it. You think they've overachieved and the 1st round pick was traded as a reward for making the playoffs.

Hopefully they don't just trade 1st round picks for rentals every season with no expectation of winning because that's how the farms inevitably dry out.
Obviously there are expectations that differ from those at the start of the season. This isn’t cup or bust territory though, but im still fully expecting a competitive series.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers/NHL fans can say what they want about Nashville vs Vancouver, and downplay how good Nashville was in the playoffs or think how easy an opponent Nashville 'should've been', but keep in mind Nashville finished ahead of LA in the overall standings.
Same points, significantly worse goal differential, and LA was missing one of their top forwards for 75% of the season.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

They had serious buyers remorse on Kuzmenko, Tocchet could not use him in his system because he could not backcheck. Calgary has the luxury of time and patience in a down part of their competitive cycle. Part of this was moving that contract and cap space out too. They also badly needed a right handed center, so I think the intention is to re-sign Lindholm. So I don't think it's such a win-now move. It was a move to add depth at C.

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
the oilers are the leafs of the west... just complete failures year after year

I look forward to helping draisatl test free agency

Because the Canucks have won soooo many cups in their franchise history right?

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
This Vancouver team isn't ignorant, Tocchet knows what's up and he knows who to stop. EP40 will also awake from his slumber and feast on all the holes which is Skinner. Considering the goals he let in against the Kings, thousandfold that in this series. Hughes will be able to snipe it from outer space that's how exposed Stuart is going to be. JT Miller will cover Draisaitl around like a hawk in a mouse pet store, it's not going to be pretty, but effective and Kane won't be able to bully the Nucks due to all the heaviness this team has. I do have the Oilers winning two games, but those two will be strictly from the powerplay since these shoddy refs have to get some teams a lot of PPs occasionally, but besides that, Vancouver is going to control the 5v5 play and take it to the Oilers (which is the reason why I have them winning in 6). You lot won't be able to do as you did against the Kings, whereas Cancuks are only going to go up from here.
Likely 90% of this doesn't play out but here's hoping.

• Haha
Reactions: soothsayer

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Wait til JT shuts down McDavid lol
and lindholm shuts draistial with garland/joshua. this series should be fun. reading through everyone comments. nucks playing with house money. pressures all on the oilers. tossup. if petterson gets going and silovs gives them adequate goaltending and IF the powerplay gets going. van in 6. but if not oilers in 5 with their weapons.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Same points, significantly worse goal differential, and LA was missing one of their top forwards for 75% of the season.

Since the All-star break NSH was 1st in the West in P% at .726, LA .632. NSH +27 goal differential vs LA +20. And 3 more wins overall.

Which team was better going into the playoffs is obvious.

I dont understand the need to knock Nashville, not the best roster but they played well & got the most out of their group.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They had serious buyers remorse on Kuzmenko, Tocchet could not use him in his system because he could not backcheck. Calgary has the luxury of time and patience in a down part of their competitive cycle. Part of this was moving that contract and cap space out too. They also badly needed a right handed center, so I think the intention is to re-sign Lindholm. So I don't think it's such a win-now move. It was a move to add depth at C.
I'd be surprised if they re-sign him with all the other free agents they need to sign with limited cap space. The OEL buyout is about to start cutting into their cap space a good bit the next few years as well. 2.35M next year and then 4.8M each of the 2 seasons after.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
the oilers are the leafs of the west... just complete failures year after year

I look forward to helping draisatl test free agency
We've made it to WCF and 2nd round twice in the last 3 years. The last 2 years in particular have been rough as we've faced the eventual Stanley Cup winner and fell short. I wouldn't call it complete failures, but probably short of where the players want to be.

Think fan bases of both sides overhyping their teams here. Could see the series go either way, and have a feeling it's going to come down to Goaltending and special teams. Oilers offense better than Vans, Vans defense slightly better than ours. Think goalies for both clubs are the x factor as not really clear on what we are going to get. Demko in net and I'd say this series was a coin flip.

I do think the Oilers are hungry right now. Vancouver might get stunned in the first game of they're not prepared. Oilers going to struggle with Van's speed and forecheck pressure - going to be a bit of a gear shift from LAs style.

Reactions: TheNumber4

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Since the All-star break NSH was 1st in the West in P% at .726, LA .632. NSH +27 goal differential vs LA +20. And 3 more wins overall.

Which team was better going into the playoffs is obvious.

I dont understand the need to knock Nashville, not the best roster but they played well & got the most out of their group.
Nashville was 4-5-1 in their last 10 going into the playoffs. Kings weren't much better at 6-4.

Nashville rode one insane win-streak post all-star break and then puttered into the playoffs.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Ppl discount Nashville, but they had a Jack Adams Award finalist, a Norris Trophy finalist, and a former Vezina finalist in net. Also a bunch of guys willing to put their body on the line & block shots at a high rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad