Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Can't wait! All the pressure, and I mean ALL the pressure, is on the Oilers who have failed miserably in the playoffs year after year. They at least will feel like they're the favourites, but mostly in the bad ways (pressure). This despite the Canucks whipping them pretty good during the season and generally being a better team in the season as a whole.

I'd feel better if we had Demko but I think the Canucks are confident against this team. Our 3rd string goalie is still better than the oilers goalie.
If you convert Pettersson to a unit of measurement of how good a player is.
Playoff McDavid operates at 4 Petterssons.
Draisaitl is about 3.66 Petterssons.
Edit for actual math.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I can now understand the need for the ignore button, going to finally put it to use!
Most have known for a while but you probably weren't here for the meme avatar Canucks posters of yore that somehow managed to have this entire forum united in cheering for Brad Marchand.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'd argue Vancouver played into that quite a bit because they couldn't figure out how to penetrate Nashville collapsing into the middle ice. They gave them so much time on the perimeter, but for most of the series the Canucks were content with just whipping the puck around the perimeter and then trying a perimeter shot into 5 guys clogging up the slot. Nashville played well defensively, but this wasn't some elite master class performance. The Canucks just really didn't perform very well offensively.

The shot attempts in game 2 were 86-36 for Vancouver, Nashville blocked 30 shots. The Canucks dominated that game & yes they missed the net a fair amount but Nashville played very hard defensively.

Van tried to put shots on net that game, Nash blocked a ton, Van tried to make plays instead of direct shots after that which lead to 2 wins but limited SOG, tonight was more a mix.

They literally tried going both routes in this series but Nashville made it hard because they were bought in & played 110%. That's the point, you gotta give a team credit for playing as a unit & selling out.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I'd argue Vancouver played into that quite a bit because they couldn't figure out how to penetrate Nashville collapsing into the middle ice. They gave them so much time on the perimeter, but for most of the series the Canucks were content with just whipping the puck around the perimeter and then trying a perimeter shot into 5 guys clogging up the slot. Nashville played well defensively, but this wasn't some elite master class performance. The Canucks just really didn't perform very well offensively.
Canucks never scored much that is true. And they did fail to get in close alot of perimeter . I wont argue . But that is Alot to do with Nashville doing a great job. Their defensive game was top notch. Oilers are not capable of what Nashville did. They are all firepower. Canucks have done good against said firepower.

This will be a completely different series than the Nashville one. I favor the Oilers by a bit but if things go right for the Canucks there is no reason we can't win.

Oilers have still not proven themselves to be a top team like Avs, Vegas, Florida, Canes, This is their chance this year. Beat us and beat the next team after. Make at least a cup appearance.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
If you convert Pettersson to a unit of measurement of how good a player is.
Playoff McDavid operates at 2 Petterssons.
Draisaitl is about 1.66 Petterssons.

Keep pretending the regular season matters.
Excellent method of comparison, but I'd say McDavid operates at 3 Petterssons/game and Draisaitl operates at 2.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Vancouver got lucky that they won win an emergency goalie, but I heard he might not get time off from work in the next series.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
There is so much to trash talk this team with. It's weird that small D is the hill you're dying on.

It’s not the hill I am dying it’s goaltending, the Oilers are just going to be too much.

They can effectively roll out 3 lines:

Who gives a f***- McDavid - Hyman

Who gives a f*** - Draisaitl- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Kane - Perry - who gives a f***

This is very hard to stop.

Plus the Oilers won’t be like the Preds, they will take 30-40 shots per game.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
It’s not the hill I am dying it’s goaltending, the Oilers are just going to be too much.

Who gives a f*** - -Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
You have made a beautiful word salad.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.

Plus the Oilers won’t be like the Preds, they will take 30-40 shots per game.
U okay my man?

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
You would think that a multibillion dollar company can afford to keep two teams of broadcasters on staff so that the fans of each team can have the best viewing experience.

Sportsnet can then have two feeds, each to home audiences, and sell local ads, on top of the national ads on the other channels for the rest of the country.
You need to understand why Singh is there to begin with.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

There's definitely truth to this. Vancouver are just not built to crack that kind of team open. They don't have the raw speed to do it. And especially when Pettersson is MIA, they don't necessarily have the pure "skill" to do it either. Certainly not as a combination.

But it's also just about the character of the series as a whole. It was basically dueled to a close stalemate, where the Canucks are comfortable playing that type of hockey and (correctly) leaned on their edge in top-end talent to pull them through in the end.

I'm pretty confident they're going to look like a very different team offensively against the Oilers. Whichever way the series goes, i'd expect a lot more effective offense from Vancouver. Just based on the way they've been built to play and how that matches up against the Oilers.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Nuck Bonino

May 10, 2011
It's worse than I thought...converting Oilers player's stats into units of Petterssons we have..

McDavid = 4 Petterssons
Draisaitl = 3.66 Petterssons
Hyman = 3 Petterssons
Bouchard = 3 Petterssons

How many Petterssons can one team possibly have?
its actually more like
McDavid = 1.5 Pettersons
Draisaitl = 1.25 Petterson
Hyman = 0 Petterson (riding McDrais coattails)
Bouchard = -1 Pettersons (cant play D)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Canucks never scored much that is true. And they did fail to get in close alot of perimeter . I wont argue . But that is Alot to do with Nashville doing a great job. Their defensive game was top notch. Oilers are not capable of what Nashville did. They are all firepower. Canucks have done good against said firepower.

This will be a completely different series than the Nashville one. I favor the Oilers by a bit but if things go right for the Canucks there is no reason we can't win.

Oilers have still not proven themselves to be a top team like Avs, Vegas, Florida, Canes, This is their chance this year. Beat us and beat the next team after. Make at least a cup appearance.
Like I said Nashville played a solid defensive game, but this wasn't some elite never seen before defensive performance. The Canucks pissed away a lot of their chances and should not have had this close of a series with Nashville if they're truly as good as a lot in here are claiming.

Oilers don't need to do what Nashville did they actually have elite offence. I'm fine with people continuing to underrate Edmonton's team defence. This isn't the Edmonton Oilers of years past. Their team defence is miles ahead of even last year. They're not an elite defensive team, but they showed they're capable of being a top 10 defensive team this year.

Should be a good series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad