Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No question those prospects give the Canucks hope for longer term contention. The only problem I see with that is JT Miller's age fitting with that contention window and the rest of their stars being no shows as difference makers in these playoffs. If they can become difference makers then their chances improve dramatically. I just don't know if I see it with EP. Hughes I can see becoming a big time playoff player simply because of his elite skating and puck moving.

I think the big question with Hughes is whether the physicality of the playoffs will keep wearing him down. Nashville hit him every chance they got and I think it’s impacted him this series. He looks worn out and is nowhere near as dynamic as usual. I think he can fight through the physicality fine initially, but multiple rounds might be a problem.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
For such a loud mouthpiece you've been literally the entire year you're already making pre-excuses. I don't think Ive seen a single Oiler fan on this board embarrass their fanbase the way you do constantly you spent the entire season talking about how the Canucks would run over the Oilers and now its the Canucks have an excuse time.
I don't know a ton about the dude you're responding to, but there are more than a few Oilers fans who were rabidly waiting for the Canucks to 'regress' and how the Oilers were going to stomp them and were writing off the Canucks literally all season long because the Canucks broke their brains back in October when the Oilers were off-kilter.

If you haven't seen any of that, you're either lying or don't spend much time in threads populated by Oilers fans.

We're going into Game 7 and we're still seeing the attitude that the Canucks are hack frauds and not actually good and folks are all ShockedPikachu.jpg when Canucks fans push back against that. Give me a break.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, is kind of what I figured. IDK, is always seemed like a strange narrative to take pressure off of mentally weak Vancouver players and lower the expectations of fans.

Miller is 31. Boeser is 27. Petterson is 26. Hronek is 27. Hughes is 24. Demko is 28. Of your core players, you're averaging 27 years old.

McDavid is 27. Draisaitl is 28. Bouchard is 24. Nurse is 28. Hyman is 30. RNH is 30. Skinner is 25. Of the Oilers core players we're averaging 27 years old.

The only real difference in these teams ages is the Perry's and Ryan's being older than the Aman's and DiGuseppe's. The canucks even have basically the same salary cap troubles the Oilers do, and spent even more lavishly at the trade deadline than the Oilers did. The reality is - both the canucks and the oilers alike will likely lose one or two good players to fit under the cap.

It feels strange to me that there's this idea that the oilers are old and on the downturn yet apparently the Canucks are spry spring chickens just experiencing their first dip of their toes into the league. They're literally the same age.

Your team will have like 5 players taking up 50M in about 2 years. Draisaitl will cost 13-15M and McD will cost 15M+ and with Nurse eating 9M and Bouchard getting Nurse money.
Nevermind that the D is actually held together by a 33 year old Ekholm. Good luck finding a 1st paring D to play with Bouchard like in 2 years when Ekholm declines.

Reactions: Numba9

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah, is kind of what I figured. IDK, is always seemed like a strange narrative to take pressure off of mentally weak Vancouver players and lower the expectations of fans.

Miller is 31. Boeser is 27. Petterson is 26. Hronek is 27. Hughes is 24. Demko is 28. Of your core players, you're averaging 27 years old.

McDavid is 27. Draisaitl is 28. Bouchard is 24. Nurse is 28. Hyman is 30. RNH is 30. Skinner is 25. Of the Oilers core players we're averaging 27 years old.

The only real difference in these teams ages is the Perry's and Ryan's being older than the Aman's and DiGuseppe's. The canucks even have basically the same salary cap troubles the Oilers do, and spent even more lavishly at the trade deadline than the Oilers did. The reality is - both the canucks and the oilers alike will likely lose one or two good players to fit under the cap.

It feels strange to me that there's this idea that the oilers are old and on the downturn yet apparently the Canucks are spry spring chickens just experiencing their first dip of their toes into the league. They're literally the same age.

Pettersson is 25 and Hronek is 26. Lowers the Canucks average slightly.

Reactions: Numba9

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
No question those prospects give the Canucks hope for longer term contention. The only problem I see with that is JT Miller's age fitting with that contention window and the rest of their stars being no shows as difference makers in these playoffs. If they can become difference makers then their chances improve dramatically. I just don't know if I see it with EP. Hughes I can see becoming a big time playoff player simply because of his elite skating and puck moving.
Hughes will be fine. He has played well defensively. He is banged up from that Pred series. They hit him more in those games than he has been hit all season. He missed some shifts after some of those hits. Petey. I believe in him. Something is off. Guess we will have to see next year. Prime petey is a problem. 100P with a nasty shot / onetimer. Who knows about trades in the future / signings. Its pretty open. I trust our management.

Having that OEL buyout looming over our heads certainly sucks. Benning left a shit stain on the team before he left.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I don't know a ton about the dude you're responding to, but there are more than a few Oilers fans who were rabidly waiting for the Canucks to 'regress' and how the Oilers were going to stomp them and were writing off the Canucks literally all season long because the Canucks broke their brains back in October when the Oilers were off-kilter.

If you haven't seen any of that, you're either lying or don't spend much time in threads populated by Oilers fans.

We're going into Game 7 and we're still seeing the attitude that the Canucks are hack frauds and not actually good and folks are all ShockedPikachu.jpg when Canucks fans push back against that. Give me a break.

lol it's just jackjohnson. And you're not wrong, handful of guys that come out of the woodwork based on how the games go.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009

Rnh and hyman are 31. EP and hronek are 25 and 26. I don't know if the rest are accurate or not. If you're going to argue with numbers, at least do so in good faith.

Reactions: Numba9 and nuxnux1

smytty

Aug 1, 2015
This ploy is just part of Tocchet's 4D chess game. The Oilers will have a lead going into the 3rd period and feel confident until Brock emerges from the room to start the 3rd and scores 3 goals to lead them to victory. Vancouver in 7.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: HockeyWooot

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I honestly did not expect to come into this thread today and read Canuck fan’s lowering the life boats and trying take their house money with them….its game 7.

At least save the copium for the post game.

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
After some thought I’ve decided it will be much sweeter to beat the oilers without our #1g and #1 winger
Hoping the best for boeser

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
I honestly did not expect to come into this thread today and read Canuck fan’s lowering the life boats and trying take their house money with them….its game 7.

I mean I see it from oilers fans too, mCdAvID iS 70%!!!11! At least he’s playing

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
What the f*** is this thread lmao. Wild ass takes from both fanbases but that's the playoffs.

Heck of a series - easily the most anxiety inducing and fun in round 2.

To those that need to hear this - it's a sport you're not participating in. You'll be fine if your team loses. Enjoy the ride instead of the outcome.

But also f*** the Oilers I hope they get cooked ;)

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
That's fair. I'm just saying its not like this season is just the start of the Canucks trying to contend. Their depth is likely to take a massive hit next season and a lot of their big name guys are either about to start massive contracts or are going to be in the next 2 years which even further cuts into their depth which at the moment is the biggest strength of this team. Without really good depth the Canucks don't have some spectacular stars that shine above other contenders stars. Obviously this is a massive year for the Oilers and might have huge implications on what happens with McDavid and Draisaitl going forward, but this is also a pretty massive year for Vancouver who probably won't get this same opportunity again in the next few years.

It actually is just the start for them. With the new management that's turned things over and found the coach they like the culture of the organization has completely changed.

I'm not as naive to believe they will make the 2nd rd and further going forward - it's hockey and there are too many variables and even getting this far takes a lot of things to go right.

What I'm saying is the organization has things in place to supplement a good core of players moving forward. Vancouver taking a 'massive hit' to their depth really just sounds like you're hating.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

With the amount of sore winner posts around here after the Canucks won a game... I don't buy their excuses or their pre excuses.I've never seen a fan base like them out peacocking in the mains after a win and retreat to excuses about house money after a loss. Stand. by. your. team.

The Canucks team doesn't give up, they won't roll over for game 7, it's going to be a fight still. There are no guarantees.

What the f*** is this thread lmao. Wild ass takes from both fanbases but that's the playoffs.

To those that need to hear this - it's a sport you're not participating in. You'll be fine if your team loses. Enjoy the ride instead of the outcome.

Taking it further....

If your team wins the cup...you didn't participate in it. You'll still have work in the morning, your bills will still come and nothing will change in your life. take it from someone who's been there. Just enjoy the ride.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Oof. 2 core players out for Van now. Oilers catching yet another massive break, and Canucks' resolve will be tested again. Hopefully they can feed off the home crowd, and win it for Boeser.

Thomas Tatar

As an Oiler fan, I agree with this (save the last sentence, haha).

Sad to hear about Brock, it sucks for him to not be a part of this game 7 given everything he has done this postseason in pressure situations. Hope he recovers quickly, especially if Vancouver moves on. They will need him.

I know there are idiotic fans on both sides, but I have a lot of respect for the Canucks after this series. That said, I’d really appreciate an Oilers win thanks.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I'm a Canucks fan but I'm also realistic, EP40 is off and the Oilers are really rolling along, sure we might win but we don't match up very well with the Stars next round either and the Oilers will have problems with them as well.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Your team will have like 5 players taking up 50M in about 2 years. Draisaitl will cost 13-15M and McD will cost 15M+ and with Nurse eating 9M and Bouchard getting Nurse money.
Nevermind that the D is actually held together by a 33 year old Ekholm. Good luck finding a 1st paring D to play with Bouchard like in 2 years when Ekholm declines.
Ekholm has already declined.......

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
I’m one of the guys that’s been really vocal after wins and all of my “Nucks in 7” and “second last year of McDraichard” talk, and honestly I don’t regret it at all. It’s one of the best parts of sport to be cocky and I’m so grateful to have something as meaningless as hockey give me so much joy.

With that said, I wanted to thank the Oilers fans in this thread for being just as competitive and cocky throughout the series, which is already an all time classic for me. You obviously have a great team regardless of who wins tomorrow. I’m not conceding that we’ll lose or overly confident that we’ll win. At the end of the day, this season has been a revelation for Canucks fans and ending by the sword of one of our biggest rivals would be bittersweet to the lore of our history.

I really hope Boeser ends up being okay, and I thank each and every Oilers fan who’s showed him respect for his journey.

Go Canucks Go

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Ekholm has already declined.......
He’s better for the Oilers than he ever was as a Predator. We’ve only seen incline from him so far, no decline yet. Dude is also a fitness nut and takes care of himself at an elite level. He went toe to toe with Nurse in Oilers fitness tests and Nurse is like our most athletic and fittest guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad