Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I don't know if it is just me, but Hughes seems to make the wrong read on the pp often. Like he will have a man open on his right, and he will force a pass left.

They also keep trying to force these 80 foot cross crease passes on the pp which never works. They need to just get Boeser or Petterson the puck and blast it.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don't know if it is just me, but Hughes seems to make the wrong read on the pp often. Like he will have a man open on his right, and he will force a pass left.

They also keep trying to force these 80 foot cross crease passes on the pp which never works. They need to just get Boeser or Petterson the puck and blast it.

Too much passing b/c they lack confidence.

They used to have the Horvat bumper play as a go-to when Miller didn't have a look on the left or Petey a 1T on the right, feels like they haven't figured it out since he left.

The powerplay largely runs from up high between Miller/Hughes & lacks high-to-low movement to create odd man situations, so when they aren't confident enough to make plays it really goes off the rails.

Losing as many key draws as they have doesn't help either. Credit to the Oilers. Having to go back for it everytime kills you.

Reactions: zar and David71

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
First time the Oilers have scored with Hughes on the ice was tonight fwiw

Hughes definitely hasn't been bad, but he has been fairly quiet. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Bouchard has outplayed him. I feel like he's significantly outplayed him.

Bouchard: 4g, 5a, +7 in this series
Hughes: 0g, 4a, +1 in this series.

7 of his 9 points are even strength as well.

I also realize that D-men don't really go head to head with each other, so it's not like they are on the ice against each other. Just as a whole though, he's stepped up his game and really thats' the only Oiler pairing that's done anything in this series.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You still waiting for that? It’s been 6 games is he gonna do or not?

Meanwhile Hughes himself gets his ankles broken by a rookie tonight that’s never in his entire career scored a rush goal like that.

Bouch is better than Hughes defensively and offensively by the way.

Game 1 “meltdown” was a huge team defence meltdown. That we didn’t see tonight. Most of it has been on the D which has now stabilized and playing solid with minimized mistakes.
A healthy Hughes is better than any dman on oilers and he will win the Norris. Also whats your point digging up old posts?

Also its funny how you say Bouchard is better offensively and defensively when he is not even nominated for Norris. This is your own dumbfounded opinion and bias clearly plays a role. GMs around the league would pick Hughes over Bouchard everytime. If you like, make a poll about it and see who is better based on opinions here.

Last edited:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Hughes definitely hasn't been bad, but he has been fairly quiet. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Bouchard has outplayed him. I feel like he's significantly outplayed him.

I also realize that D-men don't really go head to head with each other, so it's not like they are on the ice against each other. Just as a whole though, he's stepped up his game and really thats' the only Oiler pairing that's done anything in this series.
He is clearly injured from the Nashvilke series and doesnt have the same zip and speed. His shots are not as hard as he normally shoots it due to probably broken ribs. Am sure Bouchard wouldnt produce like this if he was injured.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
I just hope this series ends on a controversial or blown call just to see maximum chaos, a fanbase lose their shit, and maybe hfboards crash
I didn’t believe it when people said the board would crash when the Leafs got eliminated… but sure enough it did 😂

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Petterson takes hours to shoot it or fans on it or misses the pass. Its like he just came into the league or confidence issues. Dont know what is wrong with him but he has been completely pathetic

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia

Bouchard has been more impactful in the series there's no doubt, I've been impressed with his game. I don't think Quinn has had his best in this series & is more or less just treading water for his standards.

That said I think it's also fair to point out that Hughes is a bigger target on his side. Hughes is generally the 1st/2nd best skater for VAN (Miller), while Bouchard is prob 5th for EDM.

I don't mean that to take away from Bouchard as he's been great, but more-so that Hughes is being targetting like McDavid is being targeted. And also it's his first experience in this situation, Bouchard has been through the playoffs before.

But again Bouchard has been great, hoping Hughes can have a bigger impact in G7.

Reactions: zar and Dust

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
There's not a better playoff player in the world than Leon Draisaitl.

I don't ever want to hear how Auston Matthews is a better player than Leon Draisaitl ever again.
dude

You will hear that all off season when the Eastern media NEEDS to mention Matthews as many times as they talk about McDavid or Leon

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Credit to the Oilers for a solid performance tonight.

Oilers have definitely been the better team overall in this series but game 7 is a toss-up. I imagine it comes down to which team's star players come up big, and given how things have gone so far, the clear edge goes to Edmonton here.
You cant say, wins have been flipped flopped between the two every game and based on the pattern, its Canucks turn to win. So basically the team desparate enough and has more urgency wins. I like Canucks chances at home, getting the last change and home crowd giving the Canucks more energy and urgency to score goals and try to win.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Goonies kind of makes sense for the fanbase actually... :D

View attachment 873167

But in all seriousness, this has been a supremely tight series. Somehow fitting that it goes to 7.

It was only a matter of time before that picture appeared after the Goonies was mentioned. I still remember seeing Shawn Horcoff's picture in the lookalike thread.

Hmmmmm... I wouldn't like to think so but... Odd play on the puck

What's with McJesus & these high sticks?

Doesn't really make sense to highstick someone intentionally in a tie game, but maybe Soucy said mean things to him.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Credit to the Oilers for a solid performance tonight.

Oilers have definitely been the better team overall in this series but game 7 is a toss-up. I imagine it comes down to which team's star players come up big, and given how things have gone so far, the clear edge goes to Edmonton here.

The series has flip flopped back and forth. Canucks have home ice advantage as well and Oilers have choke artist Stu in net. If anything, I would say the Canucks are the favourites.

The only thing I think going for Edmonton is that (imo) Edmonton has been better than Vancouver for most of the series (Games 2, 3, 4 and 6) but goaltending screwed us in game 3.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Well whoever ends up in net for either team will be playing their first game 7 of their careers. I'm not really sure who has the advantage going into game 7. Vancouver is at home, and the barn has been rocking these playoffs. Edmonton has the edge in experience, though that really hasn't translated at all these playoffs so far.

Bjornar Moxnes

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Can we talk about how regardless if the Canucks or Oilers win that their playoffs travel might rival one week of Taylor Swift’s jet usage?
Huh how? Taylor Swift's carbon footprint is significantly higher than most NHL players.
1716103657712.png

If anything Vancouver players are probably on the lower spectrum, only higher than the Canadiens and New York area teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad