WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Anyone hear Frank Seravalli on Canucks conversation today? Man was in pure denial, saying the Oilers depth > Canucks depth and that if Drai is injured it doesn't matter, it changes nothing about how bad the Canucks scoring depth is compared to the Oilers :laugh:

I swear some people just look at Dom's stat charts, follow it blindly, and then refuse to change their mind based on what they see on the ice. People really don't seem to understand how much McDavid and Drai pump up the underlying metrics of the guys around them, and it's shown every single year in the playoffs (both by how much of a tire fire their defense & depth turns into and how much those two are able to raise their game).

I've said it time and time again, I don't mind if people have the Canucks as the underdog (they should be) because of the Oilers star talent, but this nonsense on the Oilers depth being praised as respectable needs to stop.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Anyone here Frank on Canucks conversation today? Man was in pure denial, saying the Oilers depth > Canucks depth and that if Drai is injured it doesn't matter, it changes nothing about how bad the Canucks scoring depth is compared to the Oilers :laugh:

I swear some people just look at Dom's stat charts, follow it blindly, and then refuse to change their mind based on what they see on the ice. People really don't seem to understand how much McDavid and Drai pump up the underlying metrics of the guys around them, and it shown every single year in the playoffs (both by how much of a tire fire their defense & depth turns into and how much those two are able to raise their game).

I've said it time and time again, I don't mind if people have the Canucks as the underdog (they should be) because of the Oilers star talent, but this nonsense on the Oilers depth being praised as respectable needs to stop.

They don't realize how good the Lindholm line has been, and that it looked like the Pettersson line turned a bit of a corner last game. Still think it's the Nashville series. If Pettersson gets going I'd put our centre depth up against anybody in the league.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Anyone hear Frank Seravalli on Canucks conversation today? Man was in pure denial, saying the Oilers depth > Canucks depth and that if Drai is injured it doesn't matter, it changes nothing about how bad the Canucks scoring depth is compared to the Oilers :laugh:

I swear some people just look at Dom's stat charts, follow it blindly, and then refuse to change their mind based on what they see on the ice. People really don't seem to understand how much McDavid and Drai pump up the underlying metrics of the guys around them, and it's shown every single year in the playoffs (both by how much of a tire fire their defense & depth turns into and how much those two are able to raise their game).

I did and he repeated the same thing to Jason Gregor on their podcast. Which was doubly so because Gregor was way more realistic about the game and asked Frank if they were watching the same game.

Usually Seravalli’s hockey opinions are pretty on the ball but he’s pretty way off on this.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I think it's great that we're getting underrated and misunderstood. The Oilers can have all the pressure and expectations while our guys can play loose, and underrating our depth is a big reason why Garland and Joshua rolled the league for the last six months playing only 14 min a game from the "third" line.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I did and he repeated the same thing to Jason Gregor on their podcast. Which was doubly so because Gregor was way more realistic about the game and asked Frank if they were watching the same game.

Usually Seravalli’s hockey opinions are pretty on the ball but he’s pretty way off on this.
I didn't hear the hit, but he has been a believer of the Canucks all year, so it's not a bias or entrenchment thing... I guess he's just really impressed by the Oilers' lineup.

He has been pretty bang-on about everything else.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I didn't hear the hit, but he has been a believer of the Canucks all year, so it's not a bias or entrenchment thing... I guess he's just really impressed by the Oilers' lineup.

He has been pretty bang-on about everything else.

Yeah, that's what surprised me. Definitely no bias but just didn't seem to watch the same game as everyone else or what all the numbers show. His main point was that this was the worst game the Oilers are going to play and the Canucks barely eked out a win. Quadrelli, Dayal, and Gregor all pointed out that by this logic this is the worst goaltending performance the Canucks are going to get so it evens out on that said. They also pointed out that the 2nd defensive pair of Nurse & Ceci have a long history of getting exploited but he ignored it.

I also disagree with him that the Oilers forward depth is far superior to the Canucks. The top end is obviously far greater but the Canucks either have a slight edge or it's even, depth-wise.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I also disagree with him that the Oilers forward depth is far superior to the Canucks. The top end is obviously far greater but the Canucks either have a slight edge or it's even, depth-wise.
Agreed, although the question is so dependent on the Canuck players (first and foremost Pettersson) actually playing to their potential that it's mostly just begging the question once you've built that part into it.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Interesting that neither Hirose, Dries, Nielsen, or Johansson were part of the recalls. McDonough and Woo were injured. Klimovich being part of this is surprising but it's probably just because he's under contract.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting that neither Hirose, Dries, Nielsen, or Johansson were part of the recalls. McDonough and Woo were injured. Klimovich being part of this is surprising but it's probably just because he's under contract.

Ha, just made literally all these exact points in the other thread.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ha, just made literally all these exact points in the other thread.

Just read your thoughts!

McDonough
Nielsen
Glover
Dries
Johansson
Woo
Hirose

Are the guys with NHL contracts that aren't part of the Black Aces. There's got to be some injury issues with them. Or, as you said, Johansson to the World's.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just read your thoughts!

McDonough
Nielsen
Glover
Dries
Johansson
Woo
Hirose

Are the guys with NHL contracts that aren't part of the Black Aces. There's got to be some injury issues with them. Or, as you said, Johansson to the World's.

Nielsen has a very young baby so potentially family-related there.

Dries is the weirdest one. He has the most NHL experience, has played a bunch of games under Tocchet's system last year, surely had to be the 2nd guy in after Podkolzin if we have a bunch of injuries. Unless he was hurt in the last playoff game it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Reactions: Indiana and Vector

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Almost disappointed at no Sheldon Dries lol.

Thought he would be most suited for 11 mins 4C duty and free up Bluegar for top six time.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Good. The less respect we get , the further we will go.

I can't believe he is this dumb. He was shell shocked after the first game. But now instead of being a little more introspective, he goes back to his same arrogant self again.

McDrai had the most epic game of the ages according to the pro Oiler media. And yet the Canucks still brought it to a coin flip in overtime.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
We were going to lose either this one or next one based on the law of averages alone.

Our transition game was still better than the Oilers , there's lots of room and the points are wide open.

I thought the deserve to win o meter would have been closer than it was TBH. Sure they hemmed us in in the 3rd. But in the 2nd, there was parts of the game that looked like the 1st game domination by the Canucks

We were going to lose one. I still don't think we know how these teams really stack up against each other. Next game will tell. We still might be better than we think

Reactions: M2Beezy and David71

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Other than Podz and maybe Wolanin none of the others inspire much confidence slotting in if guys suddenly started dropping to injuries. Say, we have three forwards go down and we're playing Podz/Karlsson/Bains probably. Eek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad