WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

Me9999999999

Nov 6, 2021
From an Oilers fan congrats on the first round win. Was pulling for you guys against the Preds.

Love me some good intense playoff hockey and I think this series will deliver. Win or lose it's going to fun and exciting to watch.

32 years since we last met in the playoffs. Pumped for this one!

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

View attachment 864387

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Well that is good poster board stuff for Edmonton
Made the playoffs and won a playoff round.

Edmonton are overwhelming favorites but this team is playing with house money.
That is the approach to take, they can catch fire but I am pretty sure Tocchet wants low event hockey. Stay away from penalties.
Nurse Bouchard Ceci and Desharnais are all susceptible to some brutal defensive plays. Not to mention Skinner lol.

Just abuse the hell out of McDavid and target him like the Preds did with Hughes.

I also have full confidence in Silovs.
Hughes is easier to target in the defensive zone.

I have posted 2 or 3 times that it would be Silvos carrying the load, Silovs, and Tolopio but I got Silovs correct. A much harder team this time though.
I don't understand why EDM are the overwhelming favs. Vancouver dominated them during the reg season. EDM fans are in for a rude awakening. This Canucks team is deep and plays a great system.
Didn't Winnipeg annihilate Colorado in the easy season too? Don't take too much from the easy season these games count for more.

The second round, playing with house money. Canucks management will be in turmoil now, every game increases the value of some contracts

That said, defence wins championships.

The Canucks have the big men to neutralize McJesus and Dreadnought physically.
They are still a little small at forward but the Canucks do have two Terriers in Hoglander and Garland. Joshua has to get back to the game he was playing and stop trying to seek out hits, let the hits come to him like Zadorov does, Myers and Soucy will have to get a little more physical.

Just for shits and giggles here is a game theory, the Canucks will keep playing Silovs, DeSmith and whoever until they are in the last gasp game and then Demko comes back. I think they are allowing him more time to recoup and they pretty much just gained another 10 days. But if Silovs keeps improving why change anything if he keeps winning.
Silovs performance could influence what the team does in the off season. Binnington, Murray, Oettinger and Hill come to mind. Even in Vancouver Schnieder took over in the playoffs and in Vancouver became the #1 allowing for a trade that fetched Horvat

Game one the Canucks may have an advantage as Edmonton will have been out of games for a week, they might be a little stale and Tocchet has last change the first two games.

Does anyone have free invitations/passes to the Roxie to gift the Oilers? ;) ;) :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Regular season series means nothing other than added motivation for the Oilers to get some retribution where it counts.

I do think we match up with them better than most outlets give us credit for. Biggest question mark for me is if Petey can get going. Hopefully he can have an offensive explosion like Ryan Kesler did in Round 2 in 2011, after he had gone goalless in the first round against Chicago.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hard to believe it’s been 32 years since these teams met in a playoff series. I have vague recollections of it - there aren’t many highlights from it floating around on YouTube, but this pack has all of the Canucks goals from that series (and the first round vs Winnipeg) - Cliff Ronning was on fire with 6 goals in the 6 game series.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I REALLY hate this new rando chick doing the national anthem and pandering to the crowd with the "Sing the lyrics cuz you are so amped up BS".

The reason the crowd USED to sing was because the singer poured a ton of passion into it, connected with the crowd, took cues from the crowds response and ended with a godly high note.

Singing half the song and then basically waving the microphone and make the crowd feel socially and moraly responsible for your outcome is NOT cool.
All this because of an anti covid vaccination statement. I loved Mark Donnelly, cmon Canucks, forgive and move on. He was the inheritor from Richard Loney.

And long before it became common for the fans to serenade the anthem singer.

Last edited:

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
All this because of an anti covid vaccination statement. I loved Mark Donnelly, cmon Canucks, forgive and move on. He was the inheritor from Richard Loney.

And long before it became common for the fans to serenade the anthem singer.

Sort of like the fat lady singing Philly's God Bless America

Really wish we won the cup in 2011 after watching that video

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
1. The Oilers are far more reliant on their 2 superstar forwards to drive offence. Our depth scoring should have a clear edge.

2. There doesn't really seem to be any consequences for a teams' plugs/grinders taking liberties with NHL star players, especially in the playoffs.

With this in mind, we really need to body McDavid to an absurd amount. A couple of boarding/roughing minors would obviously be worth it to slow McDavid down. Give him the Hughes treatment x 2. If the Oilers try to do the same against us we will win that exchange given team structure.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Really wish we won the cup in 2011 after watching that video

I wish we won as well. That loss hit me hard and coupled with terrible management that followed I pretty much walk away from the game as a hardcore fan for a decade. It's only been in the last few seasons that I've come back to actually following the team on a regular basis. There is nothing like playoff hockey and the Anthem gets the blood flowing for sure.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Both you and @WTG are optimistic about this series and that in turn makes ME more optimistic.

Perhaps I'm selling our team a bit short, but I'm having a tough time seeing us win this series unless we somehow level up our play across the board.

Maybe I'm not giving Nashville enough credit for their defensive game, because our offense looked so neutered against them, which just won't fly against the Oilers; who by the way are much more better defensively than we give them credit for.

I hope the refs just swallow their whistles and let us play because that'll allow our "small D" to impose their will on the games.

buttman must be in shambles rn
Our offense looked neutered against Nashville because they changed their systems to counter ours.
not sure Edmonton will do the same, there is a sense that it’s beneath them to adjust the way they play to adapt to the other team.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
If he’s skating again, I don’t think he’s far off.

But I’m guessing Silovs starts the series. Hope he’s ready to stare down McDavid, Draisaitl and all - the shots are going to get harder.
What do you do in in a hypothetical scenario where Demko gets healthy by Game 3 but Silovs has performs lights out giving the Canucks a 2-0 series lead?

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Our offense looked neutered against Nashville because they changed their systems to counter ours.
not sure Edmonton will do the same, there is a sense that it’s beneath them to adjust the way they play to adapt to the other team.
If Carolina never got involved and we were able to pull off the Mikheyev+prospects+picks for Guentzel. I honestly think they wouldn’t really have any flaws top to bottom.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Just reading the main board series thread for 5 minutes, and it is overwhelmingly obvious that the average IQ in Edmonton is at least 30 points lower. Jeez louise I will be staying far away from that board

I need to stay away from main boards for this round as it’s bad for my blood pressure. I’ve already engaged more than I should have.

We are overwhelmingly the underdogs and deservedly so but man I would love nothing more than to pull an upset against that team. With Demko healthy I fully believe that we would beat them too which makes it even more frustrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad