GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Skinner got more than his fair share of criticism early in the year.

I remember I had to convince people that threatening actual violence is not good for a discussion board.
Yah this is more directed at the poster I’m talking to who was pretty adamant skinner wasn’t the issue.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I don’t think that’s accurate. Knowing from playing the position; you have to be able to perform under pressure. Being a goalie means you’re always under pressure. If you crack under those conditions you aren’t gonna make it anywhere.

To me, Skinner’s comments today sound like a guy that knows he blew it. I’d imagine if he doesn’t have a punching bag in his house he’s probably looking for a good dry waller. It honestly fits his pattern of calm press conferences. He’s kind of the perfect embodiment of the duck model. He looks calm and confident above the surface but below he’s swimming like hell.
The "playing with anxiety" comments from last year's playoffs to these comments I just don't think he can mentally get it done. Really really tough position to play in absolutely, everything is your fault.

I also played a lot of goal in my younger days and can't even imagine the pressure these guys feel. His comments tell me he's not the guy and there aren't very many guys in the world that can win 4 rounds and lift the cup.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The "playing with anxiety" comments from last year's playoffs to these comments I just don't think he can mentally get it done. Really really tough position to play in absolutely, everything is your fault.

I also played a lot of goal in my younger days and can't even imagine the pressure these guys feel. His comments tell me he's not the guy and there aren't very many guys in the world that can win 4 rounds and lift the cup.
I remember when I was really really young I chirped our goalie to the coach. He made me play net the next game and I let in about 20 and he wouldn’t pull me. :laugh:

Reactions: ZJuice

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's often easy to forget that Skinner actually had worse numbers than Campbell to that point. Campbell was just the easier option to shake things up and gain a bit of cap space knowing he would never be grabbed on waivers at that price.
If the team actually thought that Campbell gave them a better chance to win then they would have kept him up with the big team.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hyman did go after Zadorov with his own cross check to the face

I'd really like to see a better angle on that one, as I'd understand the Canucks fans complaining a bit on that. The freeze frame split second before right into full speed I think makes it look worse that it was. On the angle used frequently on the Soucy hit, he might have got the chest first but in the scrum hands and sticks were flailing which could have cut him.

I'd hope the league at least gave it a reasonable look, but that would be tough to believe with their history.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Agreed! See what he can do!!!

I would also play goalie.

Get in line... I'm already colour-coordinated!

IMG_6509.jpg

• Love
Reactions: tardigrade81

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Canucks fans on Twitter all think that Ekholm is injured and that is why it's 11-7... pretty sure it's Big V who is injured
I don't think Ekholm skated today, so maybe he's banged up or maybe the Oilers realize they don't play their 4th line so add another d-man

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yup, the only other real UFA option was Kuemper and he's bombed as well. Samsonov trade hasn't worked out for the Leafs either (though they can't score enough in the playoffs either)

Funny you mention that. In my search for crazy Skinner playoff stats, Kuemper's name wasn't too far away in a couple of them, so I'm not so sure we wouldn't be in the same boat had it been Kuemper instead of Campbell that year only at a higher cap hit.

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd really like to see a better angle on that one, as I'd understand the Canucks fans complaining a bit on that. The freeze frame split second before right into full speed I think makes it look worse that it was. On the angle used frequently on the Soucy hit, he might have got the chest first but in the scrum hands and sticks were flailing which could have cut him.

I'd hope the league at least gave it a reasonable look, but that would be tough to believe with their history.
I mean regardless he went after him. Not sure what more we can expect Hyman to do to the guy

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Canucks fans on Twitter all think that Ekholm is injured and that is why it's 11-7... pretty sure it's Big V who is injured
Possibly, but then my question would be why isn't Stetcher the option. Two guys aren't looking good on the right side so why not give another reasonable in game option over on that side to limit those minutes.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Ullmark has been bad in the playoffs.

Campbell is actually the best playoffs goalie we have.

So you’re defending Holland?

I would venture to say that Ullmark would have significantly better stats than Campbell if he played regularly here. I also don’t think that’s a stretch.

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Funny you mention that. In my search for crazy Skinner playoff stats, Kuemper's name wasn't too far away in a couple of them, so I'm not so sure we wouldn't be in the same boat had it been Kuemper instead of Campbell that year only at a higher cap hit.

Agreed. I feel that at least part of his mediocrity is due to health issues. The Avs in a way were lucky that he got injured during their run

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So you’re defending Holland?

I would venture to say that Ullmark would have significantly better stats than Campbell if he played regularly here. I also don’t think that’s a stretch.
Ullmark was going to Boston regardless.

But let's say he signed with the Oilers, he'd be better than any of our goalies in the regular season. In the playoffs, it's another story. Campbell worst save% in the playoffs is better than any of Ullmark playoffs sv%

Campbell's worst

Ullmark

Reactions: Oilhawks

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I mean regardless he went after him. Not sure what more we can expect Hyman to do to the guy
Okay. I misinterpreted your comment to suggest there may have been something worth looking at from DoPS on that one rather than the team response.

I don't have a huge issue on the response, because of who was out there and close enough to join the fray. Do we want Hyman/Nuge/Drai/Bouchard squaring off and and fighting Zadorov or Soucy. Hell No.

But most of them jumped into the fray fairly quickly if they were near. Ekholm was a bit slow getting there, but after the Nurse suspension, you're playing with fire if you're a dman near the point then decide to skate in from the blue line and end up in a fight as it can be an automatic instigator.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the demotion was meant to be temporary but Pickard came up and killed it haha
Could be.
Campbell is a professional. He knew damn well that based on the brutal season he had in 2022/23 that he had to kill it in 2023/24.
He absolutely had to step up and take the #1 position. Leave no doubt who was the #1 goalie.
He didnt do that.
IMO that is completely on him.

Reactions: bone

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Don't worry about being wrong. This organization gives the young players about an inch of rope while giving 0's like Foegele and Mcleod miles of line.

McLeod is weird though. He was given FAR too much rope by Tippett in the 2021 playoffs and that’s pretty much continued since he’s been here.

He’s either got to be the more persuasive man in history or his speed is so enticing that no coach can resist.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Im inclined to agree with you here.
Campbell was given every opportunity to right the ship and he shit the bed so badly that he was sent to the farm team for the rest of the season. It would be absolutely stunning to see the team decide to put the fate fo the playoffs back into his hands.

Game log, player 1: 0.853, 0.806, 0.875, 0.977, 0.750
Game log, player 2: 0.863, 0.750, 0.750, 0.889, 0.906, 0.923, 0.852

There wasn't much to choose from.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Can’t read the entire thread right now. Is it confirmed that one of Vinny/Ekholm is in injured and out tonight? Or we just speculating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad