GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That’s not happening. Yeah you can be pissed at Skinner but this is straight up ignoring reality.

In reality this is what will happen:

Pickard wins while playing well or at least meh:
- Series is on, he’ll get as many starts as he wants if he continues to play well and the team wins.
- Negotiations will occur to bring him back for 2024-25. He will likely still backup Skinner but it’ll be closer to a 1B role.

Pickard loses while playing well:
- Series is over.
- He will start game 5.
- Goalie discussion in offseason will revolve around keeping one of Skinner and Pickard with the goal being to find a true 1A (again).

Pickard loses while playing poorly:
- Series is definitely over.
- Skinner starts game 5.
- Pickard leaves in the offseason.

Pickard loses while playing meh:
- Series is over.
- Goaltending conundrum begins over who starts game 5, but it’s probably over either way.
- Pickard also leaves in the offseason.

Rodrigue will not see the ice in these playoffs unless there is an injury.
Pickard shits the bed early. Skinner comes in and he shits the bed. Campbell or Rodrigue will draw in. If Knobs goes back and forth with Skinner and Pickard both shitting the bed and the Oilers are eliminate, Knob would lose his job as well.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So you're going to walk into that room and tell them that guy they tried to send into oblivion is going to start the most meaningful game of the season?

You are out of your f***ing mind if you think they entertain this.
Im inclined to agree with you here.
Campbell was given every opportunity to right the ship and he shit the bed so badly that he was sent to the farm team for the rest of the season. It would be absolutely stunning to see the team decide to put the fate of the playoffs back into his hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I get it against Zadorov and Myers is tough, but against those other two pairings the Oilers need to be going to the middle as much as possible. Hughes, Hronek and Cole aren't big guys there should be no reason we are afraid of going to the tough areas.

When the puck is in behind those d-men along the boards we need to be pounding their d-men. Our d-men also need to step up and start laying the body like some of the Vancouver d-men are doing.
I mean they've yet to find any real semblance of a physical game against these guys. I'm in full agreement with you, they need to be pressuring but this team has this infuriating habit of sitting back and being reactionary, instead of dictating play. Far too many guys are playing passively, and you need a magnifying glass to try and find any ounce of compete -- from a large segment of that lineup.

I've tried to keep myself in check and not always bring the negativity but man, it is hard seeing this group doing anything when they can't even muster up the compete to fight for their playoff lives here.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
So you're going to walk into that room and tell them that guy they tried to send into oblivion is going to start the most meaningful game of the season?

You are out of your f***ing mind if you think they entertain this.

If Campbell sees another minute under this regime, outside of an emergency, then things are really bad.

The org has washed their hands of him at the NHL level. For now at least.

Well they would at least entertain it or they wouldn’t have called him up.

Optics

Reactions: Kerberos

Dradavich

Nov 29, 2019
Canada
Roloson was also an established NHL goalie for 8 years before that with 269 NHL GP and a .906 SV%.

Pickard has 140 NHL GP and a .904 SV% in 12 years.

Not saying he can’t go on a run, but let’s temper expectations.

Also according to hockeydb he’s played only 5(?!?!?) playoff games since turning pro and only 10 since his first year in the WHL. So he is a complete unknown quantity lol
All the oilers need to win this series is a goalie who can sustain an above .900 SV%

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Seeing Skinner's comments maybe he's actually releived to be on the bench tonight. Some guys elevate their game in big games, not everyone is made for the big stage. Good on him for being honest but that should keep him out of the net going forward. We need someone who thrives and lives for this pressure!

I don’t think that’s accurate. Knowing from playing the position; you have to be able to perform under pressure. Being a goalie means you’re always under pressure. If you crack under those conditions you aren’t gonna make it anywhere.

To me, Skinner’s comments today sound like a guy that knows he blew it. I’d imagine if he doesn’t have a punching bag in his house he’s probably looking for a good dry waller. It honestly fits his pattern of calm press conferences. He’s kind of the perfect embodiment of the duck model. He looks calm and confident above the surface but below he’s swimming like hell.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Campbell was given every opportunity to right the ship and he shit the bed so badly that he was sent to the farm team for the rest of the season. It would be absolutely stunning to see the team decide to put the fate fo the playoffs back into his hands.
Was Campbell given an opportunity to right the ship this season in your opinion? You argue to the death that Skinner doesn’t deserve criticism for his early season implosion because of the D and that’s right around when Soup went down. I’m not saying he does deserve it but just seems contradictory.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Pickard shits the bed early. Skinner comes in and he shits the bed. Campbell or Rodrigue will draw in. If Knobs goes back and forth with Skinner and Pickard both shitting the bed and the Oilers are eliminate, Knob would lose his job as well.

I’d be willing to put money that none of this will happen.

If Pickard shits the bed he’ll be given the same rope as Skinner. He’ll finish the game unless it’s like 5-0 after 1.

Irregardless of if we lose game 4, you will not see Campbell or Rodrigue. Campbell is persona non grata . Rodrigue getting the NHL call will not happen unless there’s an injury.

Knoblauch is not being fired as a result of these playoffs. That would never happen.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Was Campbell given an opportunity to right the ship this season in your opinion? You argue to the death that Skinner doesn’t deserve criticism for his early season implosion because of the D and that’s right around when Soup went down. I’m not saying he does deserve it but just seems contradictory.
I beleive that he was given a fair chance this seasoin and last season too.
He is a $5M goalie and there has to be a minimum standard that comes with that.
He failed the team badly at the NHL level.

As pointed out by a few reliable goalie experts Campbells fundementals are completly unreliable.
Why Holland wasnt able to make the proper assessment on Campbell before he signed him is a mystery.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean they've yet to find any real semblance of a physical game against these guys. I'm in full agreement with you, they need to be pressuring but this team has this infuriating habit of sitting back and being reactionary, instead of dictating play. Far too many guys are playing passively, and you need a magnifying glass to try and find any ounce of compete -- from a large segment of that lineup.

I've tried to keep myself in check and not always bring the negativity but man, it is hard seeing this group doing anything when they can't even muster up the compete to fight for their playoff lives here.
Between the eye test and event summary it's hard to not get mad at good chunk of the team.

It'll be interesting to see how the respond tonight. The players aren't stupid they know they have to be better prepared to start the game and have to be better throughout the game.

I mean there could be reasons for certain guys playing passive that we don't know about, but can't tell me over half the team has some sort of major injury holding them back.

At least I sure as hell hope that's not the case.

Reactions: Shizuka and guymez

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
What do you mean? If Pickard fails hard, what's the other choice? Take the devil you threw away or the unknown? Unknown all day.

1) Jack Campbell had better stats than Skinner when he was sent down. He was the choice only because they had to do something (since both were playing poorly) and they needed the $1.35M of his cap space / no way he gets claimed. I think we can all acknowledge the team, as a whole, rebounded since then which had really nothing to do with Skinner... he just benefited from a better defensive effort of his teammates.

2) Silovs at least had NHL games to his credit. Rodrigue does not.

3) Campbell has 18 NHL playoff games to his credit, with a 920 SPCT a 2.28GAA and he also played behind some pretty porous D in Toronto. His WORST playoff season in Toronto was 0.897... honestly we'd be 3-0 with an SPCT like that.

• Haha
Reactions: frag2 and Canovin

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He is a $5M goalie and there has to be a minimum standard that comes with that.
He failed the team badly at the NHL level.

As pointed out by a few reliable goalie experts Campbells fundementals are completly unreliable.
Why Holland wasnt able to make the proper assessment on Campbell before he signed him is a mystery.
It was a lose lose. We desperately needed a goalie and there was shit to choose from that year.

Would've taken just as much heat if he didn't get anyone

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Between the eye test and event summary it's hard to not get mad at good chunk of the team.

It'll be interesting to see how the respond tonight. The players aren't stupid they know they have to be better prepared to start the game and have to be better throughout the game.

I mean there could be reasons for certain guys playing passive that we don't know about, but can't tell me over half the team has some sort of major injury holding them back.

At least I sure as hell hope that's not the case.
The passivity is hard to watch.
Case in point their best player gets crosschecked in the back and the face (after the game was over) and as far as I could tell not a single player even gave Zadorov and Soucy a harsh push.

Reactions: RegDunlop

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I do agree he’s been given his chances especially last season however If this season was a fair chance then Skinner deserves criticism for his early season implosion as well.

Either it was the Oilers defensive play to blame or it wasn’t.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was a lose lose. We desperately needed a goalie and there was shit to choose from that year.

I have posted about this already but the problem was that Holland decided to run an additional year with an over the hill Smith instead of prioritizing the goalie situation right then and there.
Then he sets himself up for failure the next season and that results in a Campbell signing.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Campbell was given every opportunity to right the ship and he shit the bed so badly that he was sent to the farm team for the rest of the season. It would be absolutely stunning to see the team decide to put the fate fo the playoffs back into his hands.

It's often easy to forget that Skinner actually had worse numbers than Campbell to that point. Campbell was just the easier option to shake things up and gain a bit of cap space knowing he would never be grabbed on waivers at that price.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The passivity is hard to watch.
Case in point their best player gets crosschecked in the back and the face (after the game was over) and as far as I could tell not a single player even gave Zadorov and Soucy a harsh push.
Hyman did go after Zadorov with his own cross check to the face

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011

Yup, the only other real UFA option was Kuemper and he's bombed as well. Samsonov trade hasn't worked out for the Leafs either (though they can't score enough in the playoffs either)

Reactions: joestevens29

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I do agree he’s been given his chances especially last season however If this season was a fair chance then Skinner deserves criticism for his early season implosion as well.

Skinner got more than his fair share of criticism early in the year.

I remember I had to convince people that threatening actual violence is not good for a discussion board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad