GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This team needs more than Pickard.
I think that Knoblauch needs to split up Connor ad Leon. I said this in the PGT that this team cant afford to play Connor and Leon almost 30 minutes a game.
That is not a recipe for succcess in these playoffs.
They are set to play on different lines, so that's a plus.

I believe the look is

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisaitl - Kane

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Watching some of goals against identifies mistakes and defensive breakdowns that are preventable. It also identifies some plays that the Nucks plain just deserved credit for making. On either of those goals against situations Stu needed to make more big saves. However you want to divy it out. But I’m not going to ignore that those defensive breakdowns happened. It has nothing to do with Stu either, it’s trying to get a full picture of what how our team is playing and what areas they need to improve.
Do you really think you're the only one that looks at replays and breaks plays down? I'll look at as many angles as possible. I love watching games that way too. Our topical areas of disagreement in this discussion is where we veer on Skinner. I do have a bias. You do too.

Hockey is a complex sport and culpability on plays can be many things. But in the long run, through many games yardsticks start to measure where Skinner is in playoffs in relation to his peers. Other stats also give us windows that by and large in playoffs Oilers are dominating games and still not getting results with Skinner in games. With Skinner for instance having only 7/20 games with even .900 save %.. You're getting too tied up, jmo, in specific plays vs seeing the generality that Skinner has been sub average in net in playoffs.

Anyway on to the game and Captain Pickard starting.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He could easily be "as bad as skinner" I'm sure this is what this organization fears. Paying Ken Holland 5m a year and unable to pay a goalie coach that can move the needle 1m a year.

Jobs on the line tonight and pickard isn't one of them since he's done his job all season admirably.
Ken has been an utter failure in his time here. Look at the insane things Draisaitl and McDavid are doing. Holland's only job was to build an average team around them. he couldn't do it. He also didn't add to the farm team. Furthermore, has invested nothing into the goaltending positions. All the great teams have a "goaltending Department". You'd think he would put some resources in helping develop, recruit, train goaltenders. They give Schwartz god level status for having accomplished exactly nothing

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They are set to play on different lines, so that's a plus.

I believe the look is

Nuge - McDavid - Hyman
Holloway - Draisaitl - Kane
To be fair they are starting on different lines.

That McDavid/Drai combo is sooo tempting to go back to. We shall see if Knoblauch can resist temptation.

Strudwick makes a very good point in the video I posted as well. The Oilers had 5 players who played under 10 minutes in the last game. They might as well not play at all.
By putting everything on McDavid and Draisaitl Knolauch is basically trying to win a series without properly utilizing 1/4 of the roster.
It wont work long term.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

TheGingaNinja

Edmonton Ex-Pat who still loves his hometown team.
Sep 26, 2019
I actually like Skinner, and think he will be a solid goalie for us going forward. That being said, he's had a poor series. Pickard is the right call here.

Let's go boys. Ride em like you stole em!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Do you really think you're the only one that looks at replays and breaks plays down? I'll look at as many angles as possible. I love watching games that way too. Our topical areas of disagreement in this discussion is where we veer on Skinner. I do have a bias. You do too.

Hockey is a complex sport and culpability on plays can be many things. But in the long run, through many games yardsticks start to measure where Skinner is in playoffs in relation to his peers. Other stats also give us windows that by and large in playoffs Oilers are dominating games and still not getting results with Skinner in games. With Skinner for instance having only 7/20 games with even .900 save %.. You're getting too tied up, jmo, in specific plays vs seeing the generality that Skinner has been sub average in net in playoffs.

Anyway on to the game and Captain Pickard starting.
I’m sure you do. Which is why it’s surprising to hear you misidentify the details of goals against. We veer on the facts of the goals against. Like I’ll tell you it was a tipped blue line shot and you’ll tell me it was floated in untouched. But whatever, we’ve already gone over those and you told you me you won’t read it. So why should we talk about it again.

There’s plays that absolutely the Oilers defence let Skinner down. That should be considered and did happen. There’s also a long sample view where you aren’t seeing enough big saves out of Skinner. Which is why Knob decided to make the Pickard swap. And which is why I agreed to make the Pickard swap immediately after Game 3. Both things can be true. The oilers need to clean up their mistakes, Nurse-Ceci have to stop being a tire fire that all the analytics and stats combined with eye tests have shown they’ve been. And the goalie needs to make more big saves.

Reactions: guymez

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Let's not go over this again. Skinner is sitting. There's not anything you or TheNumber4 can write about Skinner that will convince anyone otherwise.
Cool, I’m not convinced that just switching the goalies is the magical answer when 3/4 of the forwards have run dry and the second pairing is a couple of turnstiles.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I’m sure you do. Which is why it’s surprising to hear you misidentify the details of goals against. We veer on the facts of the goals against. Like I’ll tell you it was a tipped blue line shot and you’ll tell me it was floated in untouched. But whatever, we’ve already gone over those and you told you me you won’t read it. So why should we talk about it again.

There’s plays that absolutely the Oilers defence let Skinner down. That should be considered and did happen. There’s also a long sample view where you aren’t seeing enough big saves out of Skinner. Which is why Knob decided to make the Pickard swap. And which is why I agreed to make the Pickard swap immediately after Game 3. Both things can be true. The oilers need to clean up their mistakes, Nurse-Ceci have to stop being a tire fire that all the analytics and stats combined with eye tests have shown they’ve been. And the goalie needs to make more big saves.
WE should park this because it has nothing to do with todays game. We'll pick it up some other time. In short its not just that I missidentify causality its that due to the vagaries of the sport mistakes can both be made and goalies can make stops. Where we would veer is on how many great stops Skinner makes and in how many stops he doesn't make that other goalies likely would. Even Skinner himself saying he needs to get to that fraction of more stops, as he put it one more stop a night (I think he's selling it short) ;)

Anyway, enjoy the game, it should be more enjoyable.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
April 10th. Silovs played 4 regular season games right before the playoffs.
A Ken Dryden out of Cornell story. I'm jk but Ken Dryden played 6 games of regular season before annihilating every opponent on the way to the cup in what was not even his rookie season. One of the most memorable hockey events I'd ever seen. Dryden slammed the door on the illustrious Bruins and Hawks both of whom were considered favorites as the Habs had a bit of a lul before Dryden arrived.

Dryden, Tretiak, Cheevers, Tony Esposito, they were goalies that started my fascination with goalies and goaltending. Different styles all. I was too young to see the greats like Sawchuk, etc.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
WE should park this because it has nothing to do with todays game. We'll pick it up some other time. In short its not just that I missidentify causality its that due to the vagaries of the sport mistakes can both be made and goalies can make stops. Where we would veer is on how many great stops Skinner makes and in how many stops he doesn't make that other goalies likely would. Even Skinner himself saying he needs to get to that fraction of more stops, as he put it one more stop a night (I think he's selling it short) ;)

Anyway, enjoy the game, it should be more enjoyable.
There’s nothing really to pick up if you think about it. We won’t agree on causality of goals against if Nurse booting pucks in on Skinner is viewed as Skinners fault versus Nurses. So we can agree to disagree there. And we’re both in agreement that we need more big stops from our goalie and Picks needs to be given his shot. So really this discussion is already settled. And now we start the Pickard show, hopefully a miracle run on way to a Cup. So yeh time to focus on tonight’s game and put our support and focus behind Picks and the team. I’m cool with that :).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Hilarious. Connor gets zero respect or protection from the league. Pretty much the opposite.

Oilers should really take it to him physically but no one does. Sometimes, you gotta set the tone, send a message but nope. Even Woody's Oilers weren't this passive

Reactions: Sanchez

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Cool, I’m not convinced that just switching the goalies is the magical answer when 3/4 of the forwards have run dry and the second pairing is a couple of turnstiles.
This is no longer about defending Skinner anymore. You're just posting just for the sake of posting and defending him so you can continue this endless ride that you decided to hop on cause most rational Oilers fans hopped off long ago.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Hilarious. Connor gets zero respect or protection from the league. Pretty much the opposite.

If Connor is the NhLs “investment” it’s been as mismanaged as the Enron scandal. I didn’t realize you’d let your investment get destroyed physically by shoddy and unfair reffing over multiple years and ever since he entered the League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad