GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
you expect him to be worse than Skinner?
He could easily be "as bad as skinner" I'm sure this is what this organization fears. Paying Ken Holland 5m a year and unable to pay a goalie coach that can move the needle 1m a year.

Jobs on the line tonight and pickard isn't one of them since he's done his job all season admirably.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Entirely possible, yes. Goalies are voodoo, so nothing would surprise me (to the positive or negative), but the stats don't lie, and he was pretty bad against playoff caliber teams this year.

The even more obvious thing would have been to bench Ceci and play Stecher. As bad as Skinner has been, Ceci has been worse.
I think they will try that next time. Right now the common denominator is Skinner

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Surprised they went with Pickard even if it was obvious. Hopefully he plays well. We need our goaltending to at least be solid.

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Think about Game 3. Then, try to think to yourself about a shot on goal that Skinner saved. Then, think about whether Pickard could have saved it. I doubt you will be able to get past the first step lol

Reactions: McDaddy and iCanada

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Entirely possible, yes. Goalies are voodoo, so nothing would surprise me (to the positive or negative), but the stats don't lie, and he was pretty bad against playoff caliber teams this year.

The even more obvious thing would have been to bench Ceci and play Stecher. As bad as Skinner has been, Ceci has been worse.

Ceci has been bad, if not worse than Skinner.

Your Goaltender has a much bigger impact on the game than your 6D though, so... Less worried about it.

Still annoyed, just less worried. Stecher deserves to draw in.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He could easily be "as bad as skinner" I'm sure this is what this organization fears. Paying Ken Holland 5m a year and unable to pay a goalie coach that can move the needle 1m a year.

Jobs on the line tonight and pickard isn't one of them since he's done his job all season admirably.
sure its possible...it's also just as possible he plays well enough to win

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Agreed. We are in desperation mode really, and I don't expect Pickard to be any good. In fact, I expect him to be really bad. His stats against playoffs teams were not good.
I 100% agree. The thing is, his 3.38 and .883 vs. playoff teams this is a marked improvement from what we've seen from Skinner. If he had played and provided exactly his regular season numbers vs. playoff teams in each game, Edmonton is up 3-0 (well likely not as I'm sure Vancouver would have found a way to have more than 3 HD scoring chances combined in the third periods of this series if they weren't leading for large stretches).

Reactions: ManOfSteelI

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ceci has been bad, if not worse than Skinner.

Your Goaltender has a much bigger impact on the game than your 6D though, so... Less worried about it.

Still annoyed, just less worried. Stecher deserves to draw in.
Skinner's been more directly bad, Ceci has been unplayably bad. He has to come out.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I 100% agree. The thing is, his 3.38 and .883 vs. playoff teams this is a marked improvement from what we've seen from Skinner. If he had played and provided exactly his regular season numbers vs. playoff teams in each game, Edmonton is up 3-0 (well likely not as I'm sure Vancouver would have found a way to have more than 3 HD scoring chances combined in the third periods of this series if they weren't leading for large stretches).

But Skinner is .877 and 3.22 in the playoffs, so essentially the same as Picjard was in the regular season, so its NOT an improvement from Skinner actually. I expect no difference in tending, if we win tonight its because we win 5-4 or something like that, due to finishing our chances and not hitting 4 posts again.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
But Skinner is .877 and 3.22 in the playoffs, so essentially the same as Picjard was in the regular season, so its NOT an improvement from Skinner actually. I expect no difference in tending, if we win tonight its because we win 5-4 or something like that, due to finishing our chances and not hitting 4 posts again.
If we win tonight, it's because the Oilers didn't let in 4+ goals

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
What I don't understand is when I listen to pods/media they just utterly dismiss Stecher getting in like it's the most ridiculous thing they're ever heard.

Am I missing something here? Is he THAT horribly unplayable? I didn't think he looked bad during the season and I see no problem throwing him in for a guy struggling. I don't understand why this seems like some ludicrous idea.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
sure its possible...it's also just as possible he plays well enough to win
Absolutely. Very little downside. Knob needs to be making it clear he's under zero pressure. Stay loose. He can only leave as the hero not the villain.

Guy hasn't played in weeks expectations are low. He comes here and steals a game canucks are panicking not getting to face skinner.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
What I don't understand is when I listen to pods/media they just utterly dismiss Stecher getting in like it's the most ridiculous thing they're ever heard.

Am I missing something here? Is he THAT horribly unplayable? I didn't think he looked bad during the season and I see no problem throwing him in for a guy struggling. I don't understand why this seems like some ludicrous idea.
Stecher, Carrick, Broberg and Lavoie just sitting out and watching. While the Nucks has someone as young as Karlsson in their top 6 lol

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
It's about being a meritocracy. I wanted woodcroft fired even before this season started. Campbell comes in saves this team twice Vs Vegas. Including one of our few OT wins and he kept going back to skinner which cost us the series.

Skinner once again has been garbage all series. Pickard comes in does exaclty what is asked of him. How can you using basic logic go back to skinner? Is this how people are treated for actually doing what is asked of them?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Gotta applaud Knoblauch, he makes the tough decisions. IF pickard does well but Nurse/Ceci still flounder, will be interesting to see what he does there too.

Reactions: MessierII

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If the Oilers come back with these same forwards I am not sure what's going through Knobby's head. Carrick and Gagner should be in over Brown and Ryan and if McLeod is out there figure skating again I bench him and don't play him the rest of the series.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
That article by Yost yesterday on TSN that showed that the Oilers have dominated the non Nurse-Ceci minutes, but get caved in so bad in the Nurse Ceci minutes in the playoffs that the team is a net negative overall...yeah Ceci's gotta sit.
This is literally the 3rd playoff in a run that this has happened too.

Incredible that Ken Holland felt no need to upgrade there. Imagine this team with Tanev + a competent goaltender? The missing pieces from a Cup run...

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
You're writing a story before it happened. This is the playoffs, anything that happened in the regular season means very little. Vancouver has a guy that played 9 NHL games and 0 playoff games.

How do you think that story was written before present day? Definitely not beat Nashville in 6 and be up 2-1 over the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad