Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Im leaning towards bringing back Hronek and Myers and letting Zadorov, Lindholm Joshua Cole and Bleuger walk.

A week ago never thought Id ever say that about Zadorov but he really gave a dud the last few games imo, Same with Joshua, thought he brought flashes of great playoff play but couldnt bring it consistently, to a point where its frustrating while Garland was generating everything under the sun all by himself
Lindholm and Zadorov are my picks

Center and a big D is too valuable

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
From game one, you had to constantly ask yourself: 'what are the odds a rookie goaltender with nine games of NHL experience could possibly backstop the Canucks all the way to the Cup finals?.

I guess in life these anomalies do happen.....but rarely in the Stanley Cup playoffs. The Canucks run was doomed to end...it was just a question of 'how soon'.

Yeah, seems like you were constantly asking yourself that:

Another heroic effort by Arty, although that last one he probably wants back. But a screen was likely. And racing out to deliver that Johnny Bower poke-check even had Kelly Hrudy bubbling in amazement.

Silovs is not only the goalie of the 'present' but of the 'future' as in the 'immediate' future. Demko trade talks should start as soon as the season is over. Some goalie-starved team in the East would cough up a bevy of young assets to acquire him.

And the Canucks need more youth, size and speed everywhere. They proved they could trade Horvat at the top of the market, So they should try again.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So then why in the heck are you on an Alberta Meme facebook thing? I don't get it. :laugh:

No, it for some f***ing reason appeared on my feed and a crap load of people started spewing garbage and nonsense on the replies. I wish I never saw that but I blocked it soon there after.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I question this teams physical conditioning. Feels like they can’t play up to playoff intensity.

Reactions: David71

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No, it for some f***ing reason appeared on my feed and a crap load of people started spewing garbage and nonsense on the replies. I wish I never saw that but I blocked it soon there after.

I mean yeah...if you go on Facebook these days, that's gonna happen.

I'm still just not really seeing what that has to do with Alberta being awful and full of terrible unredeemable people or whatever.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't think that's a completely accurate transcription of events.

I really think Tocchet has to answer for the complete nothing effort the team sent in Game 6. That was just...unacceptable. He absolutely had the pieces to just go balls to the wall and put them away at that moment. But he came out with the same routine and they got absolutely caved in by the way the Oilers adjusted and he just did not have an answer. It should've been a game where they just flew out of the gates and buried them. But it wasn't.

And from there...what changed is...by the 2nd period of Game6...the Oilers had completely adjusted to play a very different style of game. And i really just don't think the Canucks had the players to answer. They dragged it into the same sort of mess as the Preds. Not as well. But the key difference is...Canucks came out ahead in the Preds series because when you play that tight margin game, the high-end talent is going to be the difference. Canucks > Preds in that regard. But when a team like the Oilers drags you back into that same muck...they simply have better high end talent and especially when our own best talent decided to take a vacation or something.

VAN had more high danger chances than EDM this game (11-6). McDavid and Draisaitl combined for 1 secondary assist. Whatever muck EDM was able to drag this game into, the Canucks still had the ability to end them. What was missing between the two teams were the sub-optimal shots to test Skinner, and that's a style choice. Too much time turtling, refusing to shoot and shooting wide.

EDM did adjust in Game 6, that much is apparent. Tocchet failed to match that adjustment. While people want to chalk that lack of adjustment up to fatigue or a talent deficit, I see it as a lack of an adjustment. Despite fatigue, a lack of skill, and lumbering dmen, the Canucks held their own to go up 3-2. That does not suggest the Canucks holding on for dear life.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Bozo is derogatory.

Not sure why you would want to call the 100pt power forward unicorn heart and soul of this season and team that.

grow up

Isn't it a reference to that main boards thread by the Kravtsov poster?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
what a season when everyone doubted the canucks from the beginning. september training camp the boys got to work early. hughes boeser miller the leaders. tocheet built a foundation for them to work on which was defense. limiting the amount of "high danger scoring chances". forechecking hard. pk was good. pp was good for the first half of the season but failed after the all star break. i said from before the playoffs started or with a couple of games left in the regular season, it was gonna be their downfall between winning and losing a playoff series. LONG and behold i was right. all the shots they kept passing around the perimeter, nobody crashing the net. nashville blocked tons of shots in the first series. oilers did the same and played agressively on the PK. tocheet should not run the PP next year. they need to find a new PP coach to fix it. lots of ufas 7-9 players. lindholm/cole/blueger/lafftery among others. gonna be a different team next year for sure but its gonna be hard for alvin and jr to make it work. oels penalty caphit for the next 6 years. hronek should be traded he was dogshit in the playoffs. never unleashed his powerful slapper until tonight. im guessing an arm/elbow/ribs/ankle that limited his shooting. hughes obviously playing hurt wouldnt be surprised if its ankle/torn labrum that limited his offensive numbers in the series. bouchard outplayed him and scored most of the goals for edmonton. this was a learning experience for everyone in the playoffs come back next year hungrier and stronger. this team still needs Two top 6 forwards with Finish. but they gotta find a way to make it work. anyways great season enjoy your summer everyone! go canucks go. i wont be watching the playoffs anymore now that my team is out. dont really care who wins the cup probably be dallas/florida or nyr. but would be nice for edmonton to take it and break that canadian 32 year cup drought" so we dont have to hear it for the next 5-10 years OH canada hasnt won a cup because theres more american teams. and bettmans in charge. anyways GOODNIGHT!

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I'm so sad the season is over. This was the 4th best season in Canucks history, thats enough to tell you that seasons like this don't happen every year. And at every step of the way we were doubted.

Coming in? Wildcard team at best.
Strong start? PDO merchants doomed to fail.
5-6 Allstars? Not really a contender.
1st round without Demko? Might be it for Vancouver.
2nd round? Series will only go past 5 if the Oilers let it, plus hit-pieces on the Vancouver fanbase/market for good measure.

Meanwhile it took not having Demko & Boeser for them to beat us by 1 goal in game 7.

I just wish it didn't have to end. Hockey is fun again in Vancouver & we deserve it. But I'm sure its just the start. Waking up tomorrow without Canucks hockey is going to suck, never wanted this season to end.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
So hockey guy - Shannon from Vancouver apparently a fan 2 losses in a row wearing oiler gear.
Trying to be a big time YouTube boy lol more an asslick bucking for an NHL vlogger gig hate sellouts claiming to be fans worse than anything lol told him off ignore the canuck hater)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It is what it is

I mean...it's just such a weird thing to have hate in your heart about tbh.

Like...by virtue of my place of birth (which i did not consent to btw) i might even be an Albertan. But i don't really see what that has to do with anything. I might even identify as a Nova Scotian, but i really don't care for Bradley Marchand much. Due to circumstances beyond my own control, i've got a ton of Oilers fan friends and honestly...everything was pretty charged, but cordial enough for the most part. Heck...after the first few games...they were in absolute shambles if anything. I feel like getting along with opposing fans is part of just...realizing it's a game, and it means a lot to all of us...but it's still just a game.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
So hockey guy - Shannon from Vancouver apparently a fan 2 losses in a row wearing oiler gear.
Trying to be a big time YouTube boy lol more an asslick bucking for an NHL vlogger gig hate sellouts claiming to be fans worse than anything lol told him off ignore the canuck hater)
Doesn't that guy wear the jersey of the team he thought played better? He comes across as a genuine Canucks fan to me. But he tries to stay impartial in his videos. Guys running a hockey youtube channel not a Canucks fandom channel, just to play devils advocate.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Shannon is a girls name.

Also this makes me think of Ryan Shannon.

Anyway. Buttman and stuff. etc. Carry on.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

yeah!

Reactions: just22

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I will just keep this short and sweet:
This year was worth our time. It was enjoyable, entertaining, fun, and downright incredible at times.

Huge credit to the coaching staff, players, and everyone who contributed to the entertainment in the building.

I will remember this one for a long time.
On to the offseason.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Literally tells once a week that he wears the gear of the winning team in reviews during playoffs

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I will just keep this short and sweet:
This year was worth our time. It was enjoyable, entertaining, fun, and downright incredible at times.

Huge credit to the coaching staff, players, and everyone who contributed to the entertainment in the building.

I will remember this one for a long time.
On to the offseason.

Well said.

I hate it and it's heartbreaking. But the fact it even got to the point of heartbreak is one heck of a thing. I didn't see many people predicting this season would end in heartbreak with a Game7 loss one win away from the Conference Finals.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Well said.

I hate it and it's heartbreaking. But the fact it even got to the point of heartbreak is one heck of a thing. I didn't see many people predicting this season would end in heartbreak with a Game7 loss one win away from the Conference Finals.
You must have me blocked then.

Understandable.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
As far as I'm concerned this season+playoffs only hardened the us against the world mentality. So much stroking of the Oilers, much disrespect for us as we faced all year.

I don't want outsiders support. This is just us.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad