Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Why he’s cheering for us

Bet Bedard was cheering as well.

Him and Bedard should both play out 7 mandatory years and then sign with Canucks. Form a BC boy dynasty. Really wish NHL players weren't so loyal to the teams that drafted them and that it was 5 years of control. We might see one of these kids in the jersey they grew up cheering for instead of some American market where they will be an afterthought.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Another style could have beat the Oilers for sure. There is a threshold to sitting back where the returns do not outweigh the costs. There has to be at least some focus on offense.

Defending as a primary focus is one thing, turtling toward record low shot totals is quite another.

Fans always think it's the coach telling the team to turtle when that is rarely the case.

Usually the team that looks like they're turtling lacks the skill, effort, composure, etc. to string together plays to relieve pressure and in turn pressure the opposition. That's what happened here; it was simply the case of being outmatched and probably fatigued.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sorry I can't respond to this entire novel but I still don't agree with your takes on Joshua being a slug for a big guy or having awful acceleration. For a big guy he skates reasonably well imo we completely disagree that he's just an awful skater with no acceleration.

Okay i'm sorry for writing more than like three lines of text. That's not a novel though. If you want responses limited to a few hundred characters, there's always twitter i guess. And it's hard to respond seriously to someone who openly admits they're aren't even paying attention. But i'm gonna do it anyway...

Dakota Joshua is a very poor skater. Period. That's not an "opinion". He's just straight up, observably poor at it. He's improved even since he got to Vancouver and he clearly does work hard on it. But he sucks at it. He's fine when he finally gets rolling because he's big and tall...but he's slow and clunky in pretty much every other aspect that matters.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Feel for Silovs. The one guy who played his ass off from the drop of the puck - made some absolutely eye popping saves, too. And we probably don’t even get to tonight without his efforts in net.

It bears saying against how incredible what he did here was. Got us through the 1st round and held the fort against the most lethal shooters in the game. The Oilers really only ran away with the one game.

Silovs did a fantastic job. Great work, kid.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
We had Demko for one playoff game (Nashville Game 1).

Full credit to Silovs and DeSmith for their contributions, but they don't give this team the confidence to take risks on offence like they do with Demko in net. It showed when Demko was out for 6 weeks near the end of the regular season as well.

The team has deficiencies that hopefully will be addressed in the off season, but we can't underestimate how much Demko masked a lot of those issues. A healthy Demko would have made a difference in Round 2 especially. Major props to the guys for making it to 7 games.

Reactions: LordBacon

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
After all the crap I've endured by that province for 4 years living there, f*** that.
No way, I don't apologize for that.
Once they show you how they act and feel, yeah that's a no for me dawg.

I'm sorry that Alberta touched you there. But i still don't really see what that has to do with the hockey game.

:laugh:

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Fans always think it's the coach telling the team to turtle when that is rarely the case.

Usually the team that looks like they're turtling lacks the skill, effort, composure, etc. to string together plays to relieve pressure and in turn pressure the opposition. That's what happened here; it was simply the case of being outmatched and probably fatigued.

100% on the money. Same thing goes for effort in a lot of cases (it is valid in other spots) - fans will say they just aren't trying hard enough, when its clear that both teams are trying, one just isn't quite as good.

Sucks to say when you're on the side that's missing a core talent element and you've seen them overcome the deficiency in the past, but is what it is.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah. He started delving into "frustrated bozo" territory tonight. Which isn't good. That's bad Bozo.

He still wasn't terrible at all. But the frustration was clearly setting in. And that's always the thing with Miller...you have to manage that. RikTok has really walked the line for the most part and gotten more out of him than i think any of us expected or thought was possible. But when he tips over that line...he's a little bit of a...well...Bozo.
Bozo is derogatory.

Not sure why you would want to call the 100pt power forward unicorn heart and soul of this season and team that.

grow up

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
So sad. So so so sad.

But you know what? We pushed the f***ing tape. We got it to round 2, game 7 with our vezina calibre goalie out, and our top goal scorer out. Game 7, 3-2 loss. You know who hasn't done that in a long... long time? The Laffs :sarcasm:

It hurts now, but this team came so much further than where it was last year. Put that chip on your shoulder and come out flying next year. The seasons are long and this will prove invaluable experience for being ready for the ultimate show. I love this team :yo:

Reactions: vanuck

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm sorry that Alberta touched you there. But i still don't really see what that has to do with the hockey game.

:laugh:

Trust me, I know people there that are snipping at my social media about this.
I can't say stuff here due to obvious reasons, so there's Reddit where I splurged.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

He's going to be a stupid Shark for the next decade. ...
Since he finished high school and entered Boston Univeristy a year ahead of his age group and is known for his superior hockey sense, I suspect M Celebrini is going to be an intelligent Shark for the next decade. ;)

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Since he finished high school and entered Boston Univeristy a year ahead of his age group and is known for his superior hockey sense, I suspect he's going to be an intelligent Shark for the next decade. ;)

Not better.

I wish he was a Murder Dolphin. Which are also know to be smart as heck. Smarter than any stupid sharks.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Did the fatigue set in at the All-Star break?

The fatigue probably stops the forecheck, but the default is to turtle because they've become comfortable doing it. Tocchet is comfortable with them sitting back and getting sub20 shots a game. It's a part of his formula to win: Low Event Hockey. If he instead incentivizes the opposite, the opposite would occur, even while fatigued.

As to being outmatched, maybe. The Canucks swept the season series and had 2 games to oust the Oilers, yet failed. I don't think there's a compelling case to be made there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenny Levino

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Trust me, I know people there that are snipping at my social media about this.
I can't say stuff here due to obvious reasons, so there's Reddit where I splurged.

I'm sorry that you have bad social media friends.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Okay i'm sorry for writing more than like three lines of text. That's not a novel though. If you want responses limited to a few hundred characters, there's always twitter i guess. And it's hard to respond seriously to someone who openly admits they're aren't even paying attention. But i'm gonna do it anyway...

Dakota Joshua is a very poor skater. Period. That's not an "opinion". He's just straight up, observably poor at it. He's improved even since he got to Vancouver and he clearly does work hard on it. But he sucks at it. He's fine when he finally gets rolling because he's big and tall...but he's slow and clunky in pretty much every other aspect that matters.

Joshua is definitely better in-zone than getting in on the forecheck.

He's a middle 6 fwd & one with limited leverage that we can probably work out a deal with. That said I think you prioritize Lindholm of all the free agents imo.

Reactions: arttk

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Did the fatigue set in at the All-Star break?

You're making an error in thinking they default to this style due to fatigue rather than comfort. Tocchet is comfortable with them sitting back and getting sub20 shots a game. It's a part of his formula to win: Low Event Hockey. If he instead incentivizes the opposite, the opposite would occur, even while fatigued.

As to being outmatched, maybe. The Canucks swept the season series and had 2 games to oust the Oilers, yet failed. I don't think there's a compelling case to made there.

I don't think Tocchet is purely about "low event" hockey. It's just...very heavily dependent on structure creating counter-attack opportunities. Which was working just fine against the Oilers early in the series.

Problem is...By Game 6 the Oilers adjusted and shifted more toward what the Preds were doing to stymie everything. They started making far less risky breakouts. Putting pucks deep and forechecking more aggressively to create offense that way. Clogging up the neutral zone defensively which just exposes the lack of speed that the Canucks have up front. When they can't move the puck East-West to "climb the ladder"...it's glaringly obvious that they're a very very slow team up front especially. And they don't have the personnel or system to flip that and stretch the neutral zone North-South.

Part of it is definitely on RikTok. But part of it is just...you can only work with the tools you've got. And they simply did not give him the horses to run wild and take the neutral zone by themselves. They need more speed up front. They need more size up front. They need more puck-moving ability on the back end to be able to pivot and play the game in a different way. Tocchet simply didn't have the right tools available to him even if he did make the right adjustments. He didn't...but it's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" question. If you don't have the players to execute a change...why would you bother?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
In the bigger picture this season is a massive success. I'm really proud of this team.

People doubted & underestimated us the entire season, we proved them wrong almost the entire way. Even battled to a 1 goal difference in game 7 without 2 of our 4 best players.

Edmonton played great this series & showed their experience, but with Demko I think we win (as great as Silovs was, Demmer can steal you a game). Even with Boeser in tonight it could be a different game...

Anyways.. ugh.. sucks to go out that way especially to Edmonton. And all the media disrespect we got... Love this team though & this is just the beginning!

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think Tocchet is purely about "low event" hockey. It's just...very heavily dependent on structure creating counter-attack opportunities. Which was working just fine against the Oilers early in the series.

Problem is...By Game 6 the Oilers adjusted and shifted more toward what the Preds were doing to stymie everything. They started making far less risky breakouts. Putting pucks deep and forechecking more aggressively to create offense that way. Clogging up the neutral zone defensively which just exposes the lack of speed that the Canucks have up front. When they can't move the puck East-West to "climb the ladder"...it's glaringly obvious that they're a very very slow team up front especially. And they don't have the personnel or system to flip that and stretch the neutral zone North-South.

Part of it is definitely on RikTok. But part of it is just...you can only work with the tools you've got. And they simply did not give him the horses to run wild and take the neutral zone by themselves. They need more speed up front. They need more size up front. They need more puck-moving ability on the back end to be able to pivot and play the game in a different way. Tocchet simply didn't have the right tools available to him even if he did make the right adjustments. He didn't...but it's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" question. If you don't have the players to execute a change...why would you bother?
That’s why I hope management look to address our weakness vs keeping status quo.
Allvin and JR talked about wanting a tougher and faster team, I really expect them to cut a bunch of players and get more guys who can play that speed game.

Reactions: biturbo19

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
When I saw Mik on the top line, I knew we were pretty much f***ed.

I don't even want to talk about powerplays anymore. If they think this will get them close to Lord Stanley, they all need a head CT and MRI immediately, then move to a country where pigs can fly.

Everyone on the team owes Silovs a crying apology and a free dinner at the most pretentious restaurant in downtown.

• Haha
Reactions: David71

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's what happens when you have friends that cheer for the opposition.

I mean...i have lots of friends who cheer for lots of different teams than i do. I feel like that's just a normal part of life, and sports, and getting along as a human being. But maybe i'm wrong.

Are we only allowed to associate with fellow Canucks fans? That seems a bit parochial and uh...limiting.

What if your soulmate is like a Maple Leaves or Habitants fan? They can be irritating...but that's a lot of people to cross off your list of potential people to associate with.

tbh...i probably know more serious, dedicated, hardcore Canucks fans who live in Alberta than i do in BC. :laugh: It's just such a weird thing to draw a line on...because map says so.

I mean, it sucks that you had a real bad time in Alberta. It can be a very stupid place. But so can BC. And really none of it has anything to do with the Canucks.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad