Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Just rewatch the last 30 seconds. Miller got the puck alone in a soft spot. So much pain

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
When I look at this series the weaknesses were Cole playing his wrong side and being too slow need some solid right side d men.

The power play, Newell Brown needs a job last I checked.

The system, shots were 2 to 22 at one point, I understand a defence first approach but this is too much the breakouts from d to forward the oilers kept getting in between getting the puck back from our blue line because that’s where it would always go.

I do like the idea of having size on d but need a mix of both speed and size back there. I’m wondering if there will be some good depth available in the offseason maybe some guys that have made the playoffs and have experience playing these games would be great. I don’t want guys that have won cups but someone hungry and willing those are the players to go after.

The depth although they did show some positive in the regular season were useless in the playoffs.

The part about the defense is bang on in my opinion. If you look at what happened today, there was too much dumping and changing at the end of a shift. The reason for it was every time they ringed it back to their d to hold during a change, they fumbled the bag and got hemmed in their own zone at the slightest hint of pressure, so they really didn't have much choice but to dump it in.

That to me is the biggest difference in the games where the Canucks look like they're flying and forechecking vs. the ones they're sitting back - how well the d is transitioning the puck up. If it's poor, the team is simply too gassed/end of shift by the time it gets up ice, and they can't rely on the guys to hold it while they change so the Oilers just got free reign to start every shift with the puck on their stick.

Nashville figured this out, and Edmonton adapted their forecheck the last two games as well (why it took them so long beats me). Hughes is usually the answer here, but team's have been hounding him, and his normal outlet's passing (Hronek) has been off for the last 30+ games so the transition game has suffered immensely.

On the plus side we were fantastic at limiting chances in the zone and clearing the front of the net. From an off-season perspective, it was mission accomplished for Alvin, who needed to get pieces in here who could change a culture of defensive softness into a strength. The next step is finding a way to keep that in place while adding guys who are simply better at moving the puck in transition.

This doesn't have to be an offensive dman - Tanev was amazing at this for us despite providing very little in the form of offensive production (thanks Benning). Long term you hope Willander is an option, but they need one more guy next year to take that next step while Hronek gets back to a palce between his end of season/beginning of season form.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Humility is not in their vocabulary, well when you live in Alberta what do you expect?

Unless it’s covered in oil, a big ass pick up truck or divorce lawyers up the ass, yeah whatever.

I'm not really sure why ya'll gotta bring Alberta residence into the whole thing. That seems kinda rude. There are literally dozens of very reasonable Albertans. And Northeast BC is literally just Alberta with a different license plate.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm not really sure why ya'll gotta bring Alberta residence into the whole thing. That seems kinda rude. There are literally dozens of very reasonable Albertans. And Northeast BC is literally just Alberta with a different license plate.

After all the crap I've endured by that province for 4 years living there, f*** that.
No way, I don't apologize for that.
Once they show you how they act and feel, yeah that's a no for me dawg.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Again...yes, this team lacks speed and size up front. But Joshua is just size. He's big and once he gets rolling he's okay...but he's a terrible skater. His acceleration is awful. He's not a "fast" player in any practical sense.

We've got a weird mix. We've got guys like Hoggy and Garland who are lightning quick, but still slow as heck in long speed. And we've got guys like Dakota and Myers who cover a lot of ground once they get going...but it takes them three days to get up to speed and they can't react to plays quickly enough when asked to change directions quickly.

That's where i'd be throwing wads of cash at a guy like DeBrusk who gives up a bit in tonnage on the scales to Joshua, but is a massively more effective physical presence because he's fast as heck and has superb instincts as a forechecker. And also just a massively smarter and more skilled player.

If Joshua wants to sign on for sub $3M short-term that's cool. But i don't think he's going to do that. He's a bottom-6 banger who has great chemistry with Garland and that's it. You don't pay those players, even though he came up clutch vs Nashville. Sentimentality kills.

I'm guessing teams will be lined up for a big "goal scoring power forward" UFA like Dakota. And will offer stupid money as a result. There's a point at which you're better off just trading for a guy like like Josh Anderson who is a better, faster version of that...and taking on his own dumb contract.
Sorry I can't respond to this entire novel but I still don't agree with your takes on Joshua being a slug for a big guy or having awful acceleration. Yes he may not be nichushkin but for a big guy he skates reasonably well imo we completely disagree that he's just an awful skater with no acceleration.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Why he’s cheering for us

I mean...that's exactly why it's annoying.

He's going to be a stupid Shark for the next decade. It's annoying as all heck to see a kid who wants to play for the Canucks and would be hugely useful...getting stuck in stupid ass San Jose.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
#ThankYouJim

thank-you-jim-jersey.jpeg;w=960;h=640;bgcolor=000000

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Joshua was important because hes a piece that could outperform his contract. If his raise is too much it totally negates that contract efficiency (time to move on). Same with Blueger if this team wants to be a contender they have to find those depth pieces that will provide excess value every year and not get too attached. Zadorov plays with an edge but too expensive. Coles cut, Desmith gone, Lafferty done, Lindholm is a pipe dream. Question is what to do with Mikheyev? he doesn't particularly gel well with Miller or Pettersson but hes too expensive to be a 3rd/4th line guy maybe you give him a chance next year to bounce back? (ACL injury) but seemingly its his shot/hands that are the major problem. Then what to do with Hronek? Next season will be a major renovation and seemingly in a long time I have faith in this management to find those pieces and make those moves. Step by step

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad