Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Miller was terrible tonight. Very disappointing. I'm fairly certain he's injured though.

I don't think he was terrible... but he wasn't great either. Part of that is just...he had useless wingers. It's clearly an issue with this team. Wingers do still matter.

Fortunately...that devaluation should help make something work to get him and Pete better wingers next time. Hopefully.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I don't even know what Mikheyev actually does.

Like lets take a large sample size of his last 60 games. I feel that is a very generous amount of games for a guy making 4.75m

Can anyone name a single big offensive play he was a part of in those 60 games? I ask that with all seriousness.
He cashes paycheques and must have compromising photos of Tocchet.

Because he’s at best a 4th liner but in actuality someone who shouldn’t be on the team.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
He cashes paycheques and must have compromising photos of Tocchet.

Because he’s at best a 4th liner but in actuality someone who shouldn’t be on the team.
I was honestly hoping the coaching staff was going to roll the dice and just throw Lekkerimaki into game 7. At least he's an unknown and might do something.

With Mikheyev you already know what he'll do. Absolutely nothing.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
You can definitely move Mikheyev...the question is really just, how much would it cost you, and how does that balance against what a healthy Mikheyev offers?
We have to lose at least one important piece no matter what even if we dump Mik. Keeping him means losing at least two important pieces instead of just one, so one of Lindholm/Joshua/Zad walks when we could have kept them if we don't dump Mik.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We have to lose at least one important piece no matter what even if we dump Mik. Keeping him means losing at least two important pieces instead of just one, so one of Lindholm/Joshua/Zad walks when we could have kept them if we don't dump Mik.

It's really not great.

Weird idea that springs to mind is...Penguin have a big physical LHD they regret with the same salary as Mikky who...Dubas probably likes.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Really? Was certainly out of gas at the end after almost 28minutes but geesh neutralized McDavid and ran a 83% corsi. Mostly he was just surrounded with ineptitude without Boeser.
He was mishandling the puck and making soft passes and wasn’t winning the board battles during the 4min PP. Our entry was bad but he was one of the main reason we couldn’t setup at all.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Mikheyev had the game on his stick tonight and fumbled it. That goal would have blown the roof off. Absolutely horrendous season, he should be out of the NHL.
Crazy how bad his hands are the past 61 games.

He is known for shit finishing yet the two years before this he had 36 goals in 107 games. He started the year with 10 goals in 29 games. That's 46 goals in 136 games which is 25 goal pace. Respectable top 6 numbers. Last 61 games were just a complete nightmare and it's hard to fathom his play tanked so hard. Going from a guy who can score at a 25 goal clip to a guy who scores at a Dana Murzyn clip is just bizarre. He's not a 25 goal guy but surely the guy is capable of popping 15 goals. How he turned into such a pumpkin doesn't make sense.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I think in terms of impact you let Joshua walk and use that 3-4M somewhere else. Zad you let him walk if he wants anything more than 4.5.

Reactions: aquaweenie

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I don't think he was terrible... but he wasn't great either. Part of that is just...he had useless wingers. It's clearly an issue with this team. Wingers do still matter.

Fortunately...that devaluation should help make something work to get him and Pete better wingers next time. Hopefully.
He was getting insanely frustrated. Hughes had his worst game Mikhayev flubbed a bunch of chances. Nobody could skate the puck in on the PP with enough speed to help them get set up.

The Hronek experiment was a disaster and no Boeser put a dagger into him....too much incompetence

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Every time Mik got a high danger chance these playoffs I kept thinking "law of averages, one will go in eventually even if it's accidental"

And then he obviously wouldn't score and I'd feel dumb for even thinking it was possible. Guy is a purebred crest assassin.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
We DON'T have much talent, this is an incomplete roster and it showed, but damn if we don't have some of the intangibles that it takes to actually win. If we had a bit more scoring depth on the wings especially I think we'd be able to start showing some swagger, but lol at PDG, Suter, Mikheyev etc in our top 6.

Honestly the PP killed us today. Score 1 on the double minor and its a totally different game.

PP not only didn't score - it killed any momentum we had. Tocchet didn't make the adjustments needed on the PP (Putting Hronek on PP1 wasnt the move)

Reactions: B-rock and Flik

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Typically less talented teams have to play with better structure and more effort than more talented teams to make up for that discrepancy.

This isn't new.

And teams with limited talent have limited potential, and we reached ours.

It just is what it is. No other style was going to magically make this roster into a true contender.

Another style could have beat the Oilers for sure. There is a threshold to sitting back where the returns do not outweigh the costs. There has to be at least some focus on offense.

Defending as a primary focus is one thing, turtling toward record low shot totals is quite another.

Reactions: vanuck and B-rock

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He was getting insanely frustrated. Hughes had his worst game Mikhayev flubbed a bunch of chances. Nobody could skate the puck in on the PP with enough speed to help them get set up.

The Hronek experiment was a disaster and no Boeser was put a dagger into him....too much incompetence

Yeah. He started delving into "frustrated bozo" territory tonight. Which isn't good. That's bad Bozo.

He still wasn't terrible at all. But the frustration was clearly setting in. And that's always the thing with Miller...you have to manage that. RikTok has really walked the line for the most part and gotten more out of him than i think any of us expected or thought was possible. But when he tips over that line...he's a little bit of a...well...Bozo.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Hughes and Pettersson learned some valuable lessons from these playoffs, where they were mostly far below where they needed to be.

As the old saying goes, your best players have to be your best players. And that simply wasn't the case for the Canucks in this series.

It's clear that the Canucks need a dramatic upgrade in bottom half of their forward group. They need more size, more youth and more production. But above all else, they have to address the overall issue with team speed.
To me it's the top half that's the issue. One top-six winger (Boeser) is not gonna cut it.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah. He started delving into "frustrated bozo" territory tonight. Which isn't good. That's bad Bozo.

He still wasn't terrible at all. But the frustration was clearly setting in. And that's always the thing with Miller...you have to manage that. RikTok has really walked the line for the most part and gotten more out of him than i think any of us expected or thought was possible. But when he tips over that line...he's a little bit of a...well...Bozo.
Probably injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad