Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
While the Canucks fall short of advancing to the conference finals, they far exceeded any expectations that I had for them prior to the start of the season. Thank you, the 2023-24 Canucks, for making the Canucks games fun once again.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
We DON'T have much talent, this is an incomplete roster and it showed, but damn if we don't have some of the intangibles that it takes to actually win. If we had a bit more scoring depth on the wings especially I think we'd be able to start showing some swagger, but lol at PDG, Suter, Mikheyev etc in our top 6.

This reminds me of when we had Pyatt, Bulis and Cooke playing in our top 6 and somehow (well...Luongo) made it to the 2nd round. We were fortunate to see guys like Raymond, Kesler and Burrows just spring out to be legitimate top 6 players.

Shit drafting by Benning is too much to overcome. You hope Lekkerimaki, Raty and someone else can make massive jumps in their development to push the junk out of the lineup.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I'd be down to bring back Myers. I think he'll sign a hometown discount. Lindholm would be my next pick. I think he was one of our best playoff performers. Lastly we have to choose between one of Zaddy and Hronek.

I’d be ok to bring Myers back if it was cheap and he fills Cole’s spot as the 6/7 guy. Not sure if he’s down for that though with what will probably be close to his last deal

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I wonder how much mileage we can get out of players just "getting better."

Hughes and Pettersson can get stronger.

Hronek has a lot of holes in his defensive game, but can he plug them?

We need to overhaul the PP completely and hire a brand new PP coach whose only job is to live, breathe and die by the PP. In fact, he should only get paid for each PP goal we score.

5k salary per Canucks PP goal scored.

These are all things we can improve without taking up any extra cap space or trading any assets.

One thing that has become abundantly clear is we need to enforce a more dynamic system, especially on the powerplay. Guys need to be willing (and encouraged) to switch lanes, move around freely and just get some garbage chances on net that aren't some beautiful crease cross play.

The one time they actually did that this series they scored twice. I don't know whether it's Tocchet being too rigid on systems and structure or the guys themselves simply overthinking. In the end, it doesn't really matter. They cannot come back next season playing the exact same way nor can they continue on afraid to make adjustments.

Edmonton figured out how to pressure us with an aggressive forecheck but backed off just enough to stifle anything we could muster. Instead of recognizing that more neutral play and attacking them relentlessly ourselves which could have caught them off guard since we aren't normally that kind of team, we just... waited and waited and waited for the eventual mistake.

Funny enough, it did actually happened and we got two goals out of it. But we played with fire all game instead of reacting.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
THANK YOU JIM

FB_IMG_1716265881165.jpg

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Can’t wait to watch Dallas dismantle the Oilers

Solid team top to bottom and a great coach

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He also let two undeflected point shots in. He was Sub 900 in 4 of the 7 games
That’s why he is the 3rd string goalie. from a cap perspective if he can play as a backup then that will be good, but not sure if he can handle 35 games next season.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
One thing that has become abundantly clear is we need to enforce a more dynamic system, especially on the powerplay. Guys need to be willing (and encouraged) to switch lanes, move around freely and just get some garbage chances on net that aren't some beautiful crease cross play.

The one time they actually did that this series they scored twice. I don't know whether it's Tocchet being too rigid on systems and structure or the guys themselves simply overthinking. In the end, it doesn't really matter. They cannot come back next season playing the exact same way nor can they continue on afraid to make adjustments.

Edmonton figured out how to pressure us with an aggressive forecheck but backed off just enough to stifle anything we could muster. Instead of recognizing that more neutral play and attacking them relentlessly ourselves which could have caught them off guard since we aren't normally that kind of team, we just... waited and waited and waited for the eventual mistake.

Funny enough, it did actually happened and we got two goals out of it. But we played with fire all game instead of reacting.
I think that the players are the ones failing on the PP and the coaches are doing nothing to help them.

So I don't blame the coaches for the failures, but for not being able to fix the failures.

When you look at the Oilers PP, it's the Hockey IQ of McDavid that's running the whole show. It's his creativity and traffic directing that makes them so dangerous. He sees the whole thing in slow motion and maps it out for the players.

Our players are not taking the initiative to be creative out there, they're constantly just passing the puck around looking for the "perfect" shot but they have no feel for when they're actually supposed to pull the trigger or not.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Can’t wait to watch Dallas dismantle the Oilers

Solid team top to bottom and a great coach
Oilers talking shit and rubbing the loss in our faces when most of them thought they would sweep us or win in 5 is hilarious

Like you’re supposed to beat us handily and you barely won in 7 games

Dallas will have no issues with the Oilers considering who’s in net

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I think Miller came out too hard in preds series

Remember thinking to myself that he is going to burnout

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The Hughes slander on the mains is dumb af. The guy couldn’t move. He’s been banged up for awhile.
Absolutely it is but unfortunately that’s the worry with him.

Nashville knew you had to hammer him and it’s exactly what they did.

That’s not going to change in any series ever going forward.

He and the team needs to adapt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad