Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The good news is our coaching staff has 4 months to come up with a way of gaining the offensive zone.
Well, they only made the PP worse as the season wore on. Given the weapons, I'm at a complete loss as to why the PP is so bad.

Pettersson was a huge disappointment. That All Star game killed him.

Reactions: Jay26 and calnuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This is the system that they won with all year, we’ve seen this core play a more offensive game its ugly, if they flipped the script and played more offensive results would of been the same.

Their system is to forecheck, where was it for 50 min of the game?

The game is played 200 ft. To accept being on a 5 man PK is terrible judgement.

Reactions: calnuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
No. You can't coach scared. He's allowed the team to turtle far too often and this is the result. They have to change the system such that offense is an expectation, not an occasional dalliance.

I do think it’s fair to criticize the style that he coached in this post season. It was shades of Travis Green at times.

I do think the team as a whole tended to play a lot differently based on who was in net. They looked like a different animal with Demko back there. Which is too bad - I get DeSmith was very erratic, but Silovs gave them everything they had.

Long term, figuring out Petey is the biggest concern. His performance in this playoff was just not good enough - if it’s a mental issue, I hope he gets hooked up with a good sport psychiatrist and gets it sorted.

Interested to hear who else was playing through what - Hronek finally unleashed a bomb in this game, but it seems evident he was playing through something.

Have to hope we can make a concerted effort to retain Lindholm, Zadorov and (even though he wasn’t great tonight) Joshua. They were big keys for us.

Hope we can improve on some of our bottom six and defensive depth. Free agency will be interesting to follow this off season.

Sucks that Demko didn’t get a chance to come back - and sucks they couldn’t win it for Brock.

But I’m glad we broke our curse of scoring in Game 7s, and that we showed some spine at the end and made it close.

I’ll be cheering for Tanev and the Stars. Really didn’t like what I saw from the Oilers or their fans this round (media sucked too). I hope the Stars roll them.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The worst part is:

McDavid in Game 7: 0 points
Draisaitl in Game 7: 1 secondary assist

We didn't even lose to those guys.

We lost to the Oilers as a team.
Frustrating part is they were scared shitless in the first two periods.

They did not play to win.

Some that is on the players but it’s also on the coach.

You can only pull a rabbit out of a hat so many times.

Reactions: Jay26 and calnuck

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Didn't watch the 3rd, good on the team for making a run of it. Saving my in depth thoughts and analysis for later, tonight isn't the night.

The most fun watching hockey I've had in over 10 years. An incredible season. Loved hanging out with you guys in here, had so many laughs in the GDTs all year. Coming home from work and hopping into a GDT on a random rainy Tuesday night is a ton of fun with you guys. Thanks for a fun ride guys, looking forward to an interesting off-season.

Hell yeah! We get to do it all over again in October too. Bring your shit-posting A game!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
it's nice to have allvin and rutherford for it. There is a good sum of money but it needs to be allocated properly. you don't go and sign a 4th line centre to 3million on opening day of free agency.

True. Already got one of those in Petey. So that's true. Though he's also at more like $11M+.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
The worst part is:

McDavid in Game 7: 0 points
Draisaitl in Game 7: 1 secondary assist

We didn't even lose to those guys.

We lost to the Oilers as a team.
You knew how the Oilers felt about this game and the result when they started running 4 lines. They didn't even bother riding McDavid and Draisaitl. They knew it was over.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
Wonder what this Vancouver team could’ve done against Edmonton in a series with Demko. Not saying Silovs was bad, but just one extra goal-saved could’ve been the difference in game 2 or game 4 or game 7.
Agreed. Silovs definitely performed admirably for his level of experience and the situation he was put in.

But he's no Demko. Not yet anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad