GDT: WCSF GM06 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Sat. May 18th | 5pm PST | SNP/CBC | Finish Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's just a game but gotta admit some of us are emotionally invested. I've been cheering Canucks since 82 run and not gonna lie it has hurt a few times like a knife to the gut. In the big picture yes a game more to life but this would be an extra special moment in life if we win it all one day.
Nothing wrong with being invested (you should get emotionally invested and passionate about all kinds of entertainment, including fictional ones), but I can't help but scoff and roll my eyes at people who get over invested to a creepy/obnoxious/parasocial degree. And to be honest, if people are constantly telling you that it's just a game, I would not be surprised if that line happened to have been crossed.

To put it into perspective, one thing that we should all remember/realize is that our interest, how it rightfully comes across to others, and how silly we may be guilty of being, is really no different from how a K-Pop stan might.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer Orcas

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Basically in every way Skinner is a better goalie than Pickard and probably the best goalie the Oilers have had in awhile. But he sucks in the playoffs.

If he actually plays to his standard he gives them a much better chance to win. If he plays like he's played earlier in the series or last post season, they're done.

If they could actually play defence rather than "try hard", they could insulate him like we've done with Silovs. But it's too late for that, they needed a different coach.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Basically in every way Skinner is a better goalie than Pickard and probably the best goalie the Oilers have had in awhile. But he sucks in the playoffs.

If he actually plays to his standard he gives them a much better chance to win. If he plays like he's played earlier in the series or last post season, they're done.

If they could actually play defence rather than "try hard", they could insulate him like we've done with Silovs. But it's too late for that, they needed a different coach.
We've "insulated" Silovs? News to me. In how many of his games were we outshot again?

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
We've "insulated" Silovs? News to me. In how many of his games were we outshot again?
Yes, we have. That is no insult to Silovs, no matter how that needs to be perceived as one. He has been very good, and the Canucks have done a good job of keeping shots to the perimeter and dealing with rebounds. They have limited McDrai in particular 5 on 5, and have not played as open an offensive game in order to make sure they kept their defensive structure.

And all of this is good, not bad.

Checked in on Oilers thread and they are talking about Costco? Have they already given up? By the way I love Costco they seem to hate it haha.
What the crap is wrong with Costco?

I mean, it's no West Edmonton Mall, I guess...

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Yes, we have. That is no insult to Silovs, no matter how that needs to be perceived as one. He has been very good, and the Canucks have done a good job of keeping shots to the perimeter and dealing with rebounds. They have limited McDrai in particular 5 on 5, and have not played as open an offensive game in order to make sure they kept their defensive structure.

But that's how the team has played all year....

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

What the crap is wrong with Costco?

I mean, it's no West Edmonton Mall, I guess...
I guess we have different ideas of what "insulated" means; to me it means cutting down on both the shots and the high percentage plays neither of which we have even remotely done in the vast majority of the games he has played so far (apart from last game).

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
25acfb486a68d840261a7339c02beca5.gif

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
But that's how the team has played all year....
There is a reason we see less of an aggressive forecheck.

Well then I would hate to see the shot totals if we "hung him out to dry"...
Shots might be less but more higher danger chances against.
With Demko we take more chance forechecking, we don’t typically give up 2on1s but I think we give up more 3on2s.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Oilers are beat up, tired, skinner is low confidence, and they play worse in front of him than pickard.

By the mid point in the game vans top lines and better D will take over and look like game five, just gotta get one and the oilers will crumble.

Reactions: ziploc

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Well then I would hate to see the shot totals if we "hung him out to dry"...

Zippppppppgunnnnnnn vs. Reality: round 58903.

The Canucks have averaged less than one more shot against per game in this series than they did in the regular season, despite playing against the team with the most SOG in the entire league in the regular season.

The Oilers are averaging 4 fewer shots per game in this series than they did in the regular season.

Silovs is averaging 0.15 more shots against per game in this series, against the team with the most SOG in the entire league in the regular season, than Demko did in the regular season.

The Oilers are averaging fewer shots per game in this series against the Canucks than they did in their series against the notoriously defensively-oriented Kings.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I guess we have different ideas of what "insulated" means; to me it means cutting down on both the shots and the high percentage plays neither of which we have even remotely done in the vast majority of the games he has played so far (apart from last game).
Actually last game was more free-flowing and had a more aggressive forecheck, which I would like to see more of. I think they have been so concerned with their defensive shape and insulation that they haven't fully taken advantage of Edmonton's weaknesses.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I am mentally prepared for game 7, being the cynical pessimist I always am.

Oilers will be pissed off and motivated to blast the gates open, as they are playing on their own turf. I can 100% see Buttman and his f*** boys being livid with the lack of game 7s in round 2, and screams at their pet zebras to push this game to the brink, no matter the cost. Especially now that their first golden goose Nathan MacKinnon is out, despite their best efforts, the league will be hell bent on pushing their favorite cry baby to the pedestal. Every time our guys so much as giving McDavid a dirty look will give the zebras excuse to screw us square in the ass. Also, that 0/5 PP performance, I just cannot see Oilers repeating it.

I am hoping that I will be proven wrong, as our guys have shown the kind of resilience that can only come from the deepest part of their hearts after nearly a decade of unimaginable suffering. But I still am not sure.

Guess we will find out in about 9 hours.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Actually last game was more free-flowing and had a more aggressive forecheck, which I would like to see more of. I think they have been so concerned with their defensive shape and insulation that they haven't fully taken advantage of Edmonton's weaknesses.
For the 1st half, we played like that for 2 periods per game and then we would switch over to defensive shell mode in the 3rd if we have the lead.
at some point we switched to like defensive shell mode almost from the get go, I don’t remember when but I am guessing either r if the after all star game or after Demko got hurt.

I am mentally prepared for game 7, being the cynical pessimist I always am.

Oilers will be pissed off and motivated to blast the gates open, as they are playing on their own turf. I can 100% see Buttman and his f*** boys being livid with the lack of game 7s in round 2, and screams at their pet zebras to push this game to the brink, no matter the cost. Especially now that their first golden goose Nathan MacKinnon is out, despite their best efforts, the league will be hell bent on pushing their favorite cry baby to the pedestal. Every time our guys so much as giving McDavid a dirty look will give the zebras excuse to screw us square in the ass. Also, that 0/5 PP performance, I just cannot see Oilers repeating it.

I am hoping that I will be proven wrong, as our guys have shown the kind of resilience that can only come from the deepest part of their hearts after nearly a decade of unimaginable suffering. But I still am not sure.

Guess we will find out in about 9 hours.
Going to get Uber drunk in like 6 hours to prep for the game

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
For the 1st half, we played like that for 2 periods per game and then we would switch over to defensive shell mode in the 3rd if we have the lead.
at some point we switched to like defensive shell mode almost from the get go, I don’t remember when but I am guessing either r if the after all star game or after Demko got hurt.
Yep. It was almost a given each game that we'd get the lead and sit on it for the third. And yes, I think that really changed in the second half, and particularly with Demko's injury. It was extremely noticeable, and I think it had to do with having less confidence in goal. But it's not a great way to play long term I think, and I liked that they got back to their earlier ways a bit in game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad