Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM05 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 3-2 (Soucy, Di Giuseppe, & Miller) | JT MILLER *clap* *clap* *clap*

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
To be fair, you didn't circle the "jumps into" part of the definition. No question Petey had both skates in the air. Might be able to argue that he "jumped" rather than "jumped into" but think that's semantics when he lays out a guy with both feet off the ice.
He didn't jump into anything except maybe the air. He didn't initiate the contact in any way either. Into absolutely is a crucial part of the rule, not just semantics. So is the part that says distance travelled. You cannot charge someone when you are stationary, it's bonkers to think that you can.

It's a bullshit call that doesn't follow any reasonable or logical interpretation of that rule. It's also never been called this way so it was a completely novel interpretation of that rule last night invented by the refs. I don't know why people are trying to get themselves into a pretzel to defend and rationalize it.

As a lawyer, yes the rule is terribly drafted and vague. But you can draw out the meaning from what charging itself is and how it's defined in the second paragraph into the first paragraph. Reading this much into "jumps into" in the first paragraph is nonsensical since the first paragraph on its own would also penalize skating. The second paragraph description of distance travelled is required. There's also a ton of precedent on how the rule has been interpreted over the years. Complete bullshit call.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
By far the their best game of the series and a well-deserved win. Crazy, entertaining game. Thank bejeebus they got the W despite the best efforts of McDiver and his teammates (the refs), who tried to absolutely sewer the game.

Petey looked like he's coming around. It's a good sign. As predicted, Miller was a beast. Garland was buzzing all night. Tocc made the right lineup adjustments (those were the top-nine lines I wanted!) and they worked. Everyone was buying in. PDG became a legend.

Time to finish the job.

I almost never complain about the refs but this game was insanely poorly officiated.
Horrific calls. Incredible softies. And of course, the charging call was one of the worst I've ever seen.

It is never interpreted that way. Kronwall made a living doing the exact same thing. Between Soucy being the only suspension of the playoffs and the god-awful officiating, it is actually quite clear how crooked the league is, and where they stand on wanting McDiver to advance.

I'm usually not a "league is biased!" or conspiracy guy, but the evidence is really too obvious.

Time to finish the job and stick it to them.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What a fantastic win..Scoring with just over 30 seconds left in the game was a gift from the gods..No passengers on this night.

Most of the credit on this win must go to coach Tocchet, who properly picked his spots, and emphasized after game 4, that we had no chance of winning with half a dozen passengers on the team...The entire team responded.

One has to wonder if playing McDavid and Draisaitl half an hour every game might have caught up with the Oilers last night..?

The next game will be another battle.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
For the first time this series, the Canucks looked like the better team.

What a great effort from everyone.

JT Miller, the heart and soul of this team. Deserves all the chants he gets from the fans.

Pettersson looks like he's back?

Hronek looks like he's back?

PDG has arrived?

Silovs looks solid.

PK was unbelievable.

What a solid win for this team.
We were better than them in game 1 as well.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
Im MMA a tactic many fighters use is to make the opponent carry their weight which is exhausting.

I noticed every time JT was with Connor he would:

- Get in front of 97 causing 97 to slow down and jump around him.
- Get tangled up with 97 causing him to use energy to distance himself.
-Lean on 97 against the walls.
- Tie up 97 in scrums and make him engage with him
- Hit him every time he has the puck.

All the micro interactions over a game add cause 97 to use a lot of extra energy and I think that started to wear him down over the game. Add in the over use during the series and its a slow but decent way to take his energy.
JT Selke

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
z.gif

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
The reverse hit was not charging and in no interpretation of the rule book allows it to be charging. Charging is cleary the wrong call.

Reverse hits, in my opinion, are interference. The player who absorbs the hit is not a puck carrier and are in the process of checking or attempting to hit the puck carrier.

Given these hit are commonplace and have not resulted in interference penalties to this point it requires a ruling clarification that is endorsed in annual league meetings and then communicated to the players.

To do what the ref did yesterday could have altered the entire series and the call was incorrect and at best inconsistent. The league owes the Canucks an apology and an explanation

But wait, this is the NHL, the no accountability league. We know they won’t say a word

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I had a dream last night that we lost this game, I woke up distressed, disoriented and confused around 4am. I had no idea if the dream was real or if last night's game was real. Couldn't tell which one was the dream and which one wasn't. I had to get my phone and check the score just to make sure and read 3-2 Canucks. It's real and it's spectacular!!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Got to my cabin on the Gulf Islands in time to watch the third after nervously listening to the radio in middle of Salish Sea.

Reminiscent of the 2011 team. Contributions from top to bottom of the roster and you can firmly say that we 100% deserved that win after having not a great effort in G4.

Literally every change or adjustment Tocchet made had a positive effect: mikeyev/lafferty/juulsen/karlsson out, pod/hog/soucy(obviously)/PDG IN, finally putting Lindholm with Pettersson/Hog and letting Blueger go back to his spot with Joshua/Garland, upping the aggression on the PK instead of just collapsing and praying, upping the overall aggression on the only two players who mattered (Drai McDavid), changing up the PP entry strategy, and hell they even seemed to mix up the forecheck with increased pressure on their D. It all worked like a charm and now we're a win away from the WCF again.

But, let's take this game by game and not celebrate this prematurely—we are Canuck fans after all and should be conditioned to not believe in anything until there is 0.0 on the clock and 4 wins on the board. They are going to be in desperation mode in G6 and hopefully we can suck the life out of the crowd with an early one.

That call on Pettersson is completely insane and just an ongoing trend for officiating in the NHL, just makes zero sense.

And McDavid, what more can you say? An unbelievable talent wasted on a personality of boiled cardboard who takes the dive instead of battling through plays because he knows they don't have a chance 5 on 5. Without an overhaul to that part of his game and mindset, he'll never be in the Crosby level tier of generational player IMO. Just has that air of entitlement in his game and can't handle when things don't go his way. Whole organization built around placating and grovelling to this player—this series has hammered home how unlikeable he is.

Would love to be part of unravelling the McDavid Draisaitl era, but even if this is our peak, you have to be extremely proud and encouraged by how the team has played and must thank our lucky stars that Jim Benning was fired for actual, competent management.

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
I had to miss this one last night unfortunately. Where is the best highlight/condensed game package? Sportsnet and the league ones f***ing suck and they dont include any hits or the penalties or calls.

I hate this shit. makes me miss CanucksHD. I just wanna see the actual highlights.

Now you can only find long form highlights is for ad revenue/YT algorithm BS.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I hate this shit. makes me miss CanucksHD. I just wanna see the actual highlights.

Now you can only find long form highlights is for ad revenue/YT algorithm BS.

CanucksHD was a beauty. Sorely miss their compilations.

Alternative Canucks Highlights in the form of MXC is a pretty good one.

Otherwise, I usually just peruse CanucksArmy and Wyatt Arndt's Twitter accounts - they usually snip good hits, saves, moments and goals.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I had to miss this one last night unfortunately. Where is the best highlight/condensed game package? Sportsnet and the league ones f***ing suck and they dont include any hits or the penalties or calls.

I noticed Makaveli started posting again, followed him during the past run. Looks like it’s longer form with scoring chances, hits, etc but no commentary unfortunately.

Last edited:

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
The GWG was so funny. All the guys literally don't believe it when Miller scores and stand frozen for a good 5 seconds lol. Even Petey confirming with the ref that it's a goal before hightailing it to celebrate.

Thinking about it the next day, had Petey's deflection not hit the post and went in instead, the NHL 100% would have called it off. Truly a game of inches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad