Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM05 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 3-2 (Soucy, Di Giuseppe, & Miller) | JT MILLER *clap* *clap* *clap*

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I mean, technically it's a charge if you leave your feet. It's never called that way because it's not really how it's intended to be called, and also because it's a weird as hell situation for a guy standing still to jump in the air for a reverse hit, but technically the call was correct.

The only way I could understand them calling it is if the perspective made it look like Pettersson was in motion and left his feet to try to kill dude. Just a bizarre call.

No, it’s not a charge. The rule specifically states that a charge must be as a result of distance travelled.

Some tweets by Tim Peel were posted on the main boards and an NHL referee who is normally an apologist for referees is saying this was a terrible call he couldn’t explain.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Had a whole writeup ready that got deleted, so I'll just post a tl;dr:

Impressed by the effort today, Tocchet pushed the right buttons, d core stepped up, 4th line was massive (huge props to PDG for his mental fortitude), Petey looked better with real linemates. Refs suck, what else is new - probably the team with the worst "home ice advantage" reffing in the league. PK was crucial.

Blueger was also great, thought Garland struggled a bit after he got hit - hope he's okay as he's taken a beating this series.

JT was incredible - truly the heart and soul of the team & fanbase.

Hronek moving the puck way better today while away from Hughes is the most underrated thing that won't get talked about, but was one of the biggest difference makers in the game.

One of my best friends is getting married Saturday...at 4:30...that bum is going to owe me for the rest of his life for having to watch the game on my phone :laugh:

EDIT: Missed saying that the only Olympic team McDavid should captain is the men's Canadian diving team, that was a perfect swan into the ice after slightly brushing up with Joshua.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
No, it's not technically a charge. I've seen guys jump to avoid players on the ice and then make contact with opposing players. I've seen the reverse hit with the player jumping. Jumping and making contact, hit or no hit, is not automatically a charge.

It really seemed like the far ref thought that Pettersson was in motion, but it wasn't the correct call.

No penalty is automatically a penalty in practice.

Charging is probably the most vague penalty in the game, as the rule pretty much at one point says that it's a charging penalty if the player does charging. It also says that it's charging if a player "skates, jumps into, or charges their opponent in any manner." It was a terrible call because that's obviously not the way the rule is intended to be applied, but the play does technically fall within that description.

Which is the entire problem with charging especially - but a number of other rules as well - where the actual rule is so vague as to be basically pointless, and effectively turns officiating into "I know it when I see it" rather than based on any type of real well-defined, consistent standard. This is part of what causes so much of the game-management stuff, because the rules are enforced based on context as much as the actual written rule.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
No penalty is automatically a penalty in practice.

Charging is probably the most vague penalty in the game, as the rule pretty much at one point says that it's a charging penalty if the player does charging. It also says that it's charging if a player "skates, jumps into, or charges their opponent in any manner." It was a terrible call because that's obviously not the way the rule is intended to be applied, but the play does technically fall within that description.

Which is the entire problem with charging especially - but a number of other rules as well - where the actual rule is so vague as to be basically pointless, and effectively turns officiating into "I know it when I see it" rather than based on any type of real well-defined, consistent standard. This is part of what causes so much of the game-management stuff, because the rules are enforced based on context as much as the actual written rule.
The key point is "distance travelled", which is written in the rule and hilariously cut out of the screenshot by morons like Greg Wyshynski.

It's not vague in any way. It's the way that I was taught growing up, it's the way that I've seen it called in the NHL, and the befuddlement of even the most pro-Oilers panel on sportsnet should tell you that everybody rightfully understands that the rule is meant to prevent guys from taking 5 strides and jumping into a hit because it's dangerous.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Guys, I’m begging you to stop getting fooled by this PRIMETIMESNOOP account. It’s a parody account that changes its name.

The two games showed that Pickard is a better bet than Skinner.

But that's like me saying the Godzilla sized shit I took today will choke the zebras better than the tiny weenie shit I took two days ago.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
We will 100% be fighting against the Oilers and the Refs in Game 6, have to expect it at this point
I’m excited to see what penalties they make up next game. Gotta hand it to them, their creativity has been through the roof.

Maybe if the Canucks shoot the puck and it’s blocked by a player, the Canuck could get 2 min for roughing? That could be fun

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Imagine you are McDavid and Draisaitl, you have carried this team this far, dead tired, now lost game 5 in a back breaker.

Now you have to fly home to Deadmonton, and wait for game 6.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
No, it’s not a charge. The rule specifically states that a charge must be as a result of distance travelled.

Some tweets by Tim Peel were posted on the main boards and an NHL referee who is normally an apologist for referees is saying this was a terrible call he couldn’t explain.

Again, I'm not saying that this was a good call. By the standard to which it is typically enforced, it was obviously a horrible call that only makes any sense at all if the official thought Pettersson was in motion, but the charging rule itself is a f***ing mess to the point of being useless.

The rule defines an infraction as skating or jumping into, or charging a player. It goes on to define "charging" as used in that sentence with the "distance travelled" thing that you're citing, but jumping is specifically cited in the initial description of an infraction separately from that.

Like, it's f***ing ludicrous that they name the penalty "charging" and then the term "charging" is part but not all of the things that you can do to someone to earn that penalty.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Skinner's got an ego on him - telling the media that he should start game 6.
Did he really? lol

Pickard is probably happy to be starting and won't care about that sort of drama but you have to think the others might get too worried about f***ing up. Good for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad