Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM03 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 4-3 (Boeser(2) & Lindholm(2)) | Silovs You!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
- I'm happy they won, but they refused/could not push the play up ice again. EDM is constantly reloading. That's not a sustainable formula. Tocchet knows as much and was yelling at his team on the bench.

- Lindholm out against McDavid was the best move Tocchet made. This is the match up. That he scored on the PP was bonus. Great game.

- Not concerned about Cole. He's getting a run of bad luck but is a clear upgrade over Juulsen.
I agree it’s completely unsustainable buuut I will say this one was very different from the last. Game 2, we weren’t just bending. We were breaking. Today it felt like there wasn’t much dangerous shit

I don’t know much about the whole Lindholm against McDavid thing but I will say I think they should keep diversifying and that Tocchet overplayed the 4th line in game 2 and got caught way too many times with that line against McDavid. And underplayed Hughes vs him.

Glad to see Im not the only one who thinks tjat about Cole. The blueline needs to upgrade for sure in the summer and id probably not re-sign him but yeah, really unlucky on these ogs. I feel like he’s been fine outside of the first period of game 1

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
What do you think the media would say if Tocchet played the Lotto line for 30 minutes in a night?
Depends if the Canucks were winning or not. Fact is, the Oilers had no chance of coming back in this game unless they double shifted McDavid and Draisaitl. Their depth is just bad.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'm happy they won, but they refused/could not push the play up ice again. EDM is constantly reloading. That's not a sustainable formula. Tocchet knows as much and was yelling at his team on the bench.

Aside from that, a few comments:

- Lindholm out against McDavid was the best move Tocchet made. This is the match up. That he scored on the PP was bonus. Great game.

- Boeser was unbelievable that game. He did everything you could ask. What a player.

- Zadorov was feast or famine. Such an erratic player at times. Was nasty, made mistakes, but was also one of the few to push play.

- I hope Soucy heals well before next game. They need him.

- Not concerned about Cole. He's getting a run of bad luck but is a clear upgrade over Juulsen.

- Arturs Silovs... You have to be good to be lucky, and he was both in this game. Is a clear relative advantage over Skinner. Skinner will start next game but if he struggles early he could lose the net for the series.

- The PK - Thank you for killing the PP after the first two. Giving up PPGs at a 50% rate is just insane.

- Myers defended well. Had some good blocks and was closing off plays. Is very important right now.

FWIW, loading up one line and playing them half the game is probably equally unsustainable outside of junior hockey.

Reactions: racerjoe

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don’t understand Oiler fans calling for suspensions on that last response after the game, when they gave the exact opposite reaction to whenever a Sedin was hit dirty.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Depends if the Canucks were winning or not. Fact is, the Oilers had no chance of coming back in this game unless they double shifted McDavid and Draisaitl. Their depth is just bad.
They're going to be desperate next game, they can't go back to Vancouver down 3-1 and will play them 25-30 mins again unless they go up big early.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I missed some of the 3rd was soucy playing (sure sounds like it) but seeing comments that they hope he is ok as well.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Great Road win! Karlsson & Aman were solid, only weak player at forward is Mikheyev, EP & Karlsson were great without him briefly once with Joshua & once with Garland as soon as Mikheyev came on their possession died, scratch him for PDG. Great game by Myers & Soucy, Hughes & Z were also good, King Arthur was terrific.
Put Hog back in over Mikheyev let’s see if that lit a fire under him.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You get what you give though. He's a di*k to the media and they ask him questions in response to how he acts. The same guys don't ask those to other people. Total lack of class from a guy that's accomplished nothing meaningful in this league. I'm glad none of the core Canucks don't talk or act like that.

As for the game, thought we carried play 5 on 5 for the first half and last 5 mins we were getting caved. EDM is not scary at all 5 on 5. 5 on 4 and 6 on 5 they are maybe the best in the league but 5 on 5 they don't do a ton.

That's fair. Like I said, some people are just not media type at all. I think it will probably continue to be like this with Draisaitl.

Also, rumor says that he's already eyeing where he will go next, so he's probably even less interested in pleasing the media.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
actually I didn’t think skinner had much of a chance on the 4 goals, perhaps he could’ve poked checked Lindholm in tight…. but on the other hand he didn’t make a big save on one of the 4 either compared to our guy, I think they’re done with him, too much baggage
Uh, Skinner is not a good goalie. He plays too deep in his net, the puck that went through his five-hole was awful, his angling is awful, and he's 6ft4in but plays like a goalie who is only 6 foot.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Hockey Gods have a way of evening things out. If the Canucks get owned in their own zone and give up as many chances in the next game, they're going back home with the series at 2-2.

Silovs is in a zone right now, but he's not a miracle worker. I don't know what they can do with their blueline, which is too slow and too erratic. But Tocchet needs to look at the film and try to come up with some answers.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
That's fair. Like I said, some people are just not media type at all. I think it will probably continue to be like this with Draisaitl.

Also, rumor says that he's already eyeing where he will go next, so he's probably even less interested in pleasing the media.
Watching the postgame on D&D I don't think he'll miss Spec ;)

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
The Hockey Gods have a way of evening things out. If the Canucks get owned in their own zone and give up as many chances in the next game, they're going back home with the series at 2-2.

Silovs is in a zone right now, but he's not a miracle worker. I don't know what they can do with their blueline, which is too slow and too erratic. But Tocchet needs to look at the film and try to come up with some answers.
Queue Sutherland back in for the game

• Wow
Reactions: D0ctorCool

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad