Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM02 | Canucks lose to Oilers in OT | 3-4 (Pettersson, Boeser, & Zadorov) | Less than Stellar Effort

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Is that the geomagnetic storm, I reckon? I had trouble with my streams in the Netherlands as well.
Nah, the building I live in has issues with the switch it has and ISP is adamant that it's not hardware related issue. But that's OT for another time.

Reactions: jd22

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
C'mon people it was ONE game and the Oilers had to pull out all the stops to get to OT and then a lucky own goal to win.

There is no need to be too critical of the lineup. The ref's on the other hand, while there would be no guarantee the Canuck would have scored on a 4 min against their best player, there still would have tilted the ice a little for those missed 4 minutes.

There was a lot of good things happening out there. They made Skinner look less than ordinary, of the two goalies on the ice the one that looked like a 3rd stringer wasn't wearing a Canucks jersey.

All these games in this round are a bonus or should be looked upon them as such, that they are actually in them or winning is beyond expectations.

But now that they are where they are I expect to see the odds for them moving on will rocket up if they can pull off a win or two in Edmonton. There has t be more emotion in the games though, more nastiness, more heavy contact. No cheap shots but bone rattling hits.

They needed two goals to win and were unfortunately given the winner. They still haven't scored 4 goals against the Canucks.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Why the f*** doesn't anyone hit Draisaitl? Obviously do it clean but make him suffer. They had the perfect chance last night but instead decided to play like p***yes everytime he was on the ice

Good players are hard to hit. Joshua absolutely levelled him with one, though.

-

As good as Edmonton’s top line was, the rest of their team looked very, very pedestrian. I like our chances of bouncing back if that continues.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Why the f*** doesn't anyone hit Draisaitl? Obviously do it clean but make him suffer. They had the perfect chance last night but instead decided to play like p***yes everytime he was on the ice

he was hit several times early on, fairly heavy hits by joshua and one of the dmen.

but you can’t go out of your way to paste him all game when he’s pinned to mcjesus. they will exploit you, for ex, soucy on the goal. smart of them to keep him safe like that, although i don’t think they can win the series loading up like that.

for much of the game, everytime their big line was out there we sat back to contain, and tocchet is right, we were too timid. but as soon as they came off, we were hitting the other lines every chance we got like they owe us money.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
As good as Edmonton’s top line was, the rest of their team looked very, very pedestrian. I like our chances of bouncing back if that continues.
With the minutes McD and Dras got it didn't leave much time for the rest of the team. Just about every time out they are starting off cold.
but you can’t go out of your way to paste him all game when he’s pinned to mcjesus. they will exploit you, for ex, soucy on the goal. smart of them to keep him safe like that, although i don’t think they can win the series loading up like that.
Don't chase hits, let them come to the players as part of the system. But when they do, commit to hitting through them. Make them know it will leave a bruise.

They did play with a little too much "fear" of getting beat. Maybe a little too much respect.

Canucks have to start using Hughes as a rover, get him up into the offensive zone.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Am I the only one that's still feeling good vibes around the Canucks? I mean sure a loss sucks but man this team is so fun to watch, has tons of character. We are playing in round two of the playoffs against the Oilers. This is what hockey is all about and I'm enjoying every second of it!
i agree. i thought that was very entertaining up until the end, and i didn't disagree with tochett's approach. the team was working very hard but they could not get any traction late.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That's nine straight losses under Kelly Sutherland's watch.
it's really insane he's allowed to do our games.

I said before the series that we might be at the mercy of some of the officials.

Sutherland and his crew last night were so bad and biased they should be fired if competency mattered.

That job he did on us after Myers popped off should have been the last time he was allowed to do a Canuck game and really anyone with that kind of track record should not be reffing especially at this time of year

kaczor

Jul 3, 2005
NZ
This board is so bipolar. One loss and everyone on the team sucks.

Anyway... was great to see EP get the proverbial monkey off his back. Felt good. Still, he needs linemates that can play up at his level. Might be time to get Podkolzin into the lineup, Mikheaev just doesn't belong on his line.

I think that the longer the series drags on, the more the minutes put up by McDavid and Draisatl will start to show. As others have said - it looked like a one (albeit very bloody good) line Oilers team. We need to take advantage of this.

And ffs, let's stop with the Sutherland moaning. Yeah, the refs missed the highsticking double minor on Hughes, but all in all the refs were not the reason we lost.

I like our chances. Sure, would have been nice to avoid the split at home, but it is what it is. We show we can slug it out with the Oilers. LFG.

Ok, back to lurking.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Bah today would of been so much better with a win last night. I wasn't happy with the reffing, Hughes being highsticked by McDavid gets overlooked. If that was vise versa Hughes in McDavid they would of thrown the book at him. Kane is allowed to slewfoot Zadorov and Hughes which is bullshit. Sutherland is a goof. Canucks need to do a better job at covering McDavid and Draisaitl, they ate us alive last night. Need to do a better job at generating shots on Skinner because Skinner is not all that good. Unfortunate that the game winner was a perfect tip off of Ian Cole. Love Coles experience but he is absolutely killing us this series. Oh well it's one game but Sutherland can f*** right off. Onto the next one.

Go Canucks

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
it's really insane he's allowed to do our games.

I said before the series that we might be at the mercy of some of the officials.

Sutherland and his crew last night were so bad and biased they should be fired if competency mattered.

That job he did on us after Myers popped off should have been the last time he was allowed to do a Canuck game and really anyone with that kind of track record should not be reffing especially at this time of year
To me the worst was the slew foots, that shit can lead to career altering injuries.

Sutherland is just not a good official, I watched him officiate a game in the WAS/NYR series and it was brutal too

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
a little surprised that Soucy Myers is getting the McDavid match up but i guess with the loaded line which has Draisaitl and Hyman on the wings Tocchet is doing that to contain the cycle somewhat and have the better skating duo of the big boys.

For D zone faceoffs i get it but i still think we would be better off with Hughes Hronek matching them and Lindholm Joshua Garland up front as much as possible

Were over taxing Miller's line with that match up and they looked gassed last night. it's kinda sad that our 11.6 million C has to be used against the softest competition and that would be fine if they could produce but they are not which will be a death nail if Mikhayev and Hoglander continue this inability to score

I dont care if it's Lafferty Podkolzin or Bains or Raty even enough is enough with Mikhayev in a role where he needs to score.....it's insanity at this point

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Honestly the worst thing you can do right now is start changing the lines. If anyone noticed, Tocchet, down the stretch of the regular season, was experimenting with the lines and the Canucks had mediocre results. With 2 or 3 games left, he went back to the tried and true lines that had the most success. Too late to start experimenting now.

Reactions: I am toxic and quat

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t fault Cole much if any on the winner. We backed off and let McDavid fly in and we had been doing that for the 1st, 3rd and OT periods of the game

He needed to have his stick there to block the back door

I also think Juulsen showed in R1 that he is not a solution.

Myers-Soucy has been worked in a majority of games this post season. Yes they’re getting hard matched against the opponent’s top line in both series, but the level to which they’re getting hemmed is too significant.

Zadorov hasn’t been hot in his own end either.

I don’t think there’s a solution. I think it was the worst defensive game we’ve played by a long shot and their top players were all unbelievable. Actually I would like to see them hard match Hughes against McDavid if they’re going to roll this monster top line again.

That Lindholm line did the same thing they did in R1 where they dominated game one and then went quiet in the subsequent game (except in r1, they were quiet the entire remaining series).

Honestly I think you go right back to the same lineup in game 3. This defensive group hasn’t had many stretches this season where they’ve been bad consecutively

If it doesn’t work… we’ve seen some of these other combinations look okay in stretches (81-53-8), (21-40-8), (65-23-92). They also haven’t tried Lindholm and Pettersson together when they’ve been going (and both are playing the best they have since they’ve been here).

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Just re watched the 3rd period and OT man did we miss a ton of scoring chances and had so many bobbles at the blueline for the first 12 minutes

Lindholm misses Garland for one timer, Hughes a backhander after walking in from the line, Garland and Petey 2 on 1, Garland again that gets blocked down the wing, Pettersson sends in Mikhayev after some nice passing and he doesnt even get shot, Boeser misses short side with a wide open look from the circle, Lafferty hits the post on a backhander.

Last 8 minutes it really slowed down we had too many situation where we handed over the puck too easily and then got stuck getting hemmed in and chasing. Hronek was a hot mess (he needs to have some poise and patience) and that 2 minutes him and Hughes got stuck chasing was killer as that was against their btm6 then the big line and even the RNH line kept winning draws and possession while we couldn't escape the press.

Myers also blew 3 plays at the blueline and then missed a easy regroup pass after he backed away from Miller and we lost possession in the Oiler zone which again led to us chasing. Also just smashed one off the boards leading to a icing in OT.

Have to make good plays and those 2 defenseman as well as Cole scoring the winner was the major factors to us getting caved and losing because other than that we looked really good and Cole was pretty good but needs to also stop making egregious errors

Pettersson had too many bobbles with the puck and then would turn it over late in the game just dumping it blindly which led to McDavid winding it up ice and them scoring the winner

Last edited:
Reactions: TruKnyte and Regal

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Huge mistake to dump the puck in for a line change.

Need to take the puck back, maintain possession, get the line change.

I can't believe pro hockey teams are so stupid some times. Often. Usually. Practically always.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
One of the benefits for the Oilers of loading up that line is that it keeps the Canucks honest and stops them from being able to chase out of position to go after Draisaitl, because everyone has to play shit scared of McDavid at all times or else he'll immediately jump through the gap and kill you.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks Nation stay on point.

Your Vancouver Canucks should definitely prioritize resigning Cole, Lafferty and Blueger over Lindholm and Gen Z.

signed,

Better players in the press box.

What the absolute f*** are you going on about?

C'mon people it was ONE game and the Oilers had to pull out all the stops to get to OT and then a lucky own goal to win.

There is no need to be too critical of the lineup. The ref's on the other hand, while there would be no guarantee the Canuck would have scored on a 4 min against their best player, there still would have tilted the ice a little for those missed 4 minutes.

There was a lot of good things happening out there. They made Skinner look less than ordinary, of the two goalies on the ice the one that looked like a 3rd stringer wasn't wearing a Canucks jersey.

All these games in this round are a bonus or should be looked upon them as such, that they are actually in them or winning is beyond expectations.

But now that they are where they are I expect to see the odds for them moving on will rocket up if they can pull off a win or two in Edmonton. There has t be more emotion in the games though, more nastiness, more heavy contact. No cheap shots but bone rattling hits.

They needed two goals to win and were unfortunately given the winner. They still haven't scored 4 goals against the Canucks.

This probably the only P̶a̶r̶a̶g̶r̶a̶p̶h̶ post you've made i absolutely agree with.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
What the absolute f*** are you going on about?

This probably the only P̶a̶r̶a̶g̶r̶a̶p̶h̶ post you've made i absolutely agree with.
Wait you don't think Cole, Lafferty and Blueger are priority signings over Lindholm and Gen Z.

Give your head a shake and read some other posts from people who do.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Wait you don't think Cole, Lafferty and Blueger are priority signings over Lindholm and Gen Z.

Give your head a shake and read some other posts from people who do.

I'm not sure what board you're reading but the only one that there's even been any talk of bringing back is Blueger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad