Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM02 | Canucks lose to Oilers in OT | 3-4 (Pettersson, Boeser, & Zadorov) | Less than Stellar Effort

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Coach Tocchet -“we respected them [McDavid and Draisaitl] too much in the corners”

He's right.

The Canucks also couldn't connect on a pass or win a battle to save their lives. What's more, when they got it, they got rid of it like a hot potato. They were afraid and just hanging on.

They wasted this effort by Silovs.

I don't want to see the Lotto Line again. If Pettersson can't score with Hoglander/Milkheyev, so be it. At least you're sawing off the minutes, instead of getting caved in trying to match McDrai.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Tocchet saying he didn’t have a problem with any of the missed calls except for the slew foots out there which are dangerous plays.

I liked his response on home ice vs the road cheer or boo what difference does it make it’s the same game. This is why the Canucks have been a pretty good road team.

Reactions: Ninebreaker

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Oilers had to win this game and it showed, they were desperate but their big guns came to play. You knew McNuggets wasn't going cold twice in a row.

I think if we go down 2-1 in Game 3, it's not likely we come out of this series. But honestly, Edmonton will get f***ing pummeled by either Dallas or Colorado (and frankly, so will Vancouver.)
I'm not even a Canucks fan, but man just worry about Game 3! Oilers top line bailed out Skinner, who is an average goalie at best. Canucks need to just keep putting pucks by Skinner, as they aint facing Juuse Saros anymore! Tocchet will have the team make adjustments to be better for Game 3.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Got pretty much out played but too bad to lose on a real fluke of a goal. Reffing was, of course, brutal and we should have had more power plays. Might have made a difference.

Good

Miller - did a good job defensively and had to completely carry his line in this one. Boeser play dropped off and Miller had little to work with

Zadorov - wish we has 6 Zadorovs at times.

Garland - another player trying to carry a line. Lindholm was ok but this team more out of him

Poor

Joshua - getting exposed by Edmonton's speed. Something to think about come contract time. He was very clumsy and mostly useless in this one.

Cole - wtf on the OT goal. Another getting exposed by quick puck movement of the Oilers top line.

Others

Silvos - good late in the game but again, overall, very shaky. Mishandled the puck around his net and there appeared plenty of net open to the shooter a lot of the time. Very fortunate not to be scored on, in some of the goal mouth scrambles.

Myers - was solid and saved a couple of goals using his stick. Got burned along with Soucy on the McDavid goal.

Hughes - Edmonton got away with totally obvious and dangerous infractions against him. Just not providing what he did during the regular season. Canucks need to provide him with more protection.

Pettersson - started well but by the third was back to hestitant and erratic play. Defensive play (especially against McDavid) was poor. Lot of puck watching and frequently lost his check. Hope I'm wrong but can't ever see him becoming a huge factor in this series.

Mlkheyev - hade some very good shifts. Probalby never score again but lot of his play was useful in establishing some ozone time.

Huge chance to steal an important win but somehow during the third we just lost the plot and got stuck in our own end. Lot of that had to do with face offs which must improve. Team has played well on the road this year and that is something to lean on.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Tocchet saying he didn’t have a problem with any of the missed calls except for the slew foots out there which are dangerous plays.

I liked his response on home ice vs the road cheer or boo what difference does it make it’s the same game. This is why the Canucks have been a pretty good road team.
Didn't have a problem with a high stick that drew blood not being called

Idiot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This was rock bottom for Hronek tonight. The moment was too much for him and he played like a 4th line plug. This guy making 8 million would be the steal of the century

Gotta have poise or your gonna chase. That was some brutal poise

Feel bad for Cole thought he was actually pretty decent but cmon dude that looked like a good tip from a Oiler winger FFS

Man is Mikhayev useless.....i would play pretty much anybody at this stage in his spot with Pettersson

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm still f***ing seething over that missed high stick on Hughes. Completely changed the outcome of the game. Good chance the Canucks score on a 4 minute PP, and McDaisy is off the ice.

Hughes was bleeding, should’ve been a call.
Whatever, it was missed.

*this is my clean version in the forums, my epic rant on Reddit has way too many swears :laugh:

Reactions: Flik

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Mikheyev has 1 goal in his last 58 games. Why is he even in the lineup?
i had him as my ot scorer, just to annoy mrs krutovsdonut. he took a shot tonight that was embarassing for an nhl player. i understand that he is competent defensively, but tochett is giving him a remarkable amount of rope and it seems like he is using it to hang himself.

i understand tochett's intention is to beat them with four lines over 7 games and so he wants mikhaeyev as a big body steady eddie on the pettersson line to offset hoglander who he does not trust. i understand, but it's hard for me to see why pettersson has to serve time on that line.

i think tochett's plan for ot was a mini-variation of the series plan: to rope a dope for a while then unleash the hounds 5 minutes in which is why the lotto line suddenly appeared. it didn't work out but it's not a bad strategy if the canucks will just hit mcdavid and draisaitl more. they were justifiably afraid to do it in this game because kelly sutherland is a crooked fraud guaranteed to do the leagues's bidding, so it was tough, but hopefully we don't see him for a couple of games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm still f***ing seething over that missed high stick on Hughes. Completely changed the outcome of the game. Good chance the Canucks score on a 4 minute PP, and McDaisy is off the ice.

I’m just as upset about the spear to the groin on Hoglander which the entire broadcast just ignored. Like … that’s a 5-minute major. You can’t do that. It’s the Prust-Marchand play.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Am I the only one that's still feeling good vibes around the Canucks? I mean sure a loss sucks but man this team is so fun to watch, has tons of character. We are playing in round two of the playoffs against the Oilers. This is what hockey is all about and I'm enjoying every second of it!

Just happy with the split to be honest, the ratchetness on Facebook posts are the worst.

Some fans can give it but can’t take it.
Onto game 3.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't get the criticism leveled at Silovs......He was basically under siege for the entire third period, and was one of the only reasons this game even got to OT.

And for better or worse, it looks like the Canucks will be pretty well forced to ride him the rest of the way. And I'd say that he has been far better than Skinner at the other end who was supposed to be the guy who led them to the promised land.

What you love to see with Silovs is that coming off a shaky first game, he used it as motivation and came up with an heroic effort in defeat. The Canucks definitely have something in this kid.

Canucks have some goaltending decisions to make this off-season, with Demko breaking down at the worst possible time.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I don't get the criticism leveled at Silovs......He was basically under siege for the entire third period, and was one of the only reasons this game even got to OT.

And for better or worse, it looks like the Canucks will be pretty well forced to ride him the rest of the way. And I'd say that he has been far better than Skinner at the other end who was supposed to be the guy who led them to the promised land.

What you love to see with Silovs is that coming off a shaky first game, he used it as motivation and came up with an heroic effort in defeat. The Canucks definitely have something in this kid.

Canucks have some goaltending decisions to make this off-season, with Demko breaking down at the worst possible time.

I don’t see many blaming Silovs for tonight. I think the D had more problems than him

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Oilers probably deserved the win but they got away with murder this game, missed boarding call against Pettersson, missed slew foot on Hughes, missed double minor high stick on Hughes, so many blatant slashes and stick infractions missed, terrible reffing.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Am I the only one that's still feeling good vibes around the Canucks? I mean sure a loss sucks but man this team is so fun to watch, has tons of character. We are playing in round two of the playoffs against the Oilers. This is what hockey is all about and I'm enjoying every second of it!

Depends. There are bright spots, but we are still seeing some guys break down, in my opinion. Especially some of the defensemen who are playing too many minutes for their age and/or game style. I think if we had Demko I'd be somewhat optimistic we could take this, but now I don't think we will. If we get a couple more games where the top three lines are all firing we probably can, but there's still just too many questions on the blue line and in net with Demko out, and Hughes continues to get mauled out there.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Your captain and best player has been boarded, slew footed and high sticked and Tocchet doesn't say a f***ing thing about it
It's a bad look to bitch about the reffing in a game. Own it and be better. Bitching won't win you games but practicing hard and grinding even harder will. Screw the refs. We'll win this series mark my words!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad