GDT: WCSF GM01 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Wed. May 8th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | In Arturs We Trust

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Be curious to see how the canucks PK prep versus the geriatrics helps against the Oilers PP.

On the one hand I feel like it's ingenious to have the Sedin's+Tochette+Gonchar learn/simulate the Oilers PP. On the other hand.... Surely they can't be that effective at stimulating McDavid for it to even work right? Not to mention even with McDavid and Draisaitl the only reason the Oilers can flip flop with such versatility is because of Nuge.

🤷

Interesting in the very least.

I heard their salary was triple for this round compared to last round.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ekholm is good but McDonagh is absolutely better than him, but it’s not a HUGE difference

Stuck in a boardroom all day today and tomorrow as we are handing a newly finished project over to a customer. Can’t afford any less sleep tonight
Yeah that whole Nashville group of D led by Josi and McDonagh was just suffocating. A lot of credit to the Nashville forwards who play a great defensive game too.
Obviously the Oilers offense is on a whole other level but it should be easier for the Canucks to generate offense.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah that whole Nashville group of D led by Josi and McDonagh was just suffocating. A lot of credit to the Nashville forwards who play a great defensive game too.
Obviously the Oilers offense is on a whole other level but it should be easier for the Canucks to generate offense.
Vancouver will need to expose and target Nurse/Bouchard to have some success.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Who is the greatest Vancouver Canuck of all time and why is it Mark Messier?
I'll give it a stab:

Messier led to Linden leaving
Linden returned Bertuzzi and McCabe
Bertuzzi was instrumental in the WCE era
McCabe was sent to Chicago for their....2nd or 3rd pick? (can't remember which)
Chicago pick is used in conjunction with Canucks own pick to draft Sedins.
Sedins come in behind WCE (Bertuzzi and Messier's successor Naslund) and have a chance to establish themselves before being thrust into the main role.
Canucks enter their most prosperous era in team history, all initiated by Messier theatrics and Keenan hot headedness.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hoping for some good clean fun tonight, god bless the mods for hopefully keeping things between the lines

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks have a chance to dismantle this Oilers roster and force them to blow it up in the off-season. Imagine having Mcdavid and Drai and losing to a 3rd string goalie. They would be forced to turn that team upside down. Everyone but the coach will get fired, Holland is retiring, everything gets blown up with 1-2 yrs until McDrai is UFA.

This would be a historic and entertaining upset if the Canucks can pull it off.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Canucks have a chance to dismantle this Oilers roster and force them to blow it up in the off-season. Imagine having Mcdavid and Drai and losing to a 3rd string goalie. They would be forced to turn that team upside down. Everyone but the coach will get fired, Holland is retiring, everything gets blown up with 1-2 yrs until McDrai is UFA.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a huge upset if Vancouver wins. An upset, largely due to goaltending injuries (though I think I recall that Demko can come back around game 4... feel free to correct me), but not a huge one.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

Not exactly. Unless Drai is dead set on leaving, the Oilers run it back next year regardless - especially prior to McDrai getting substantial raises on their contracts.

Everyone else substantial is already locked up long-term.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I wouldn't necessarily call it a huge upset if Vancouver wins. An upset, largely due to goaltending injuries (though I think I recall that Demko can come back around game 4... feel free to correct me), but not a huge one.

I will say... I don't really understand the odds makers line on this series. Vegas has Edmonton beating Vancouver as more likely than us being la was. Which feels a little nuts to me.

I do think we're probably the favorite but more in a 55-45 way than like a 70-30 way. So. Idk.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Not exactly. Unless Drai is dead set on leaving, the Oilers run it back next year regardless - especially prior to McDrai getting substantial raises on their contracts.

Everyone else substantial is already locked up long-term.

You really think the new Oilers management and fanbase would be okay with running back a team that lost to a 3rd string goalie?

Maybe if the Oilers lose in the Stanley Cup Finals then sure run it back and make a couple of small changes.

Losing in the 2nd round to a 3rd string goalie to a team who was supposed to be a bubble team and then losing to them 8x in a year?

Why would anyone want to run back that roster.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
You really think the new Oilers management and fanbase would be okay with running back a team that lost to a 3rd string goalie?

Maybe if the Oilers lose in the Stanley Cup Finals then sure run it back and make a couple of small changes.

Losing in the 2nd round to a 3rd string goalie to a team who was supposed to be a bubble team and then losing to them 8x in a year?

Yes, they likely do run it back regardless due to cap constraints and the current make up of their team. It’s this year and next, unless Drai makes it blatantly clear he’s leaving, in which case he could get traded before the deadline.

The parity in the league is such that most can recognize that if you make the playoffs, you stand a chance at the end prize.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Demko is just starting to skate and isnt even going down on a butterfly right now and pushing off. I dont think he has taken a puck during his ice sessions. Game 4 is in 6 days.. its not happening.

At best i think he would be available in 1 month from now. Somewhere for the Western finals if the Canucks are lucky enough to advance.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

We lost to one last year, you miss the playoffs last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad