GDT: WCSF GM 4 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Tue, May 14 | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Thunderdome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
The total humiliation of the Edmonton Oilers failed rebuild would be a top 3 sports memory.
I mean I feel like we've already humiliated them? They have had to play two of the best players in the league almost 30 minutes a game to even stand a chance against our 3rd string goalie. For a team anointed a cup favorite in a "Cup or Bust" year, I don't think any of them still think they have a chance at reaching the finals this year even IF they get past us. Like if we lose - we weren't even really supposed to be here and we took it to them. If they lose... Oof.

Their goaltending and defense is just too suspect.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Karlsson-Pettersson-Lafferty/PDG
Aman-Blueger-Lafferty/PDG

With PDG coming back scratch Mikheyev he’s useless (should’ve been scratched before Hoglander), take out Mikheyev and keep Karlsson & Aman in.
Might be a bit late on this but PDG has gone home, personal matter.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I can see this more of a defensive struggle early but another 4-3 score wouldn't surprise me. If they can get to Pickard early then McDrai will have another 30-min night. Not sure how tired they are.
I think they start their 3rd or 4th line to mix it up and try to take a dman to the box or sit out a few shifts.
I don’t think a Z / Myers pairing is a good idea either Oilers still have speed Id like a more balanced pairing with size and speed.
Did you know that Zadorov was the fastest skater on Calgary?
The fastest top speed on the entire Flames roster so far this season was recorded by Nikita Zadorov with an impressive 37.62 KPH (23.15 MPH) top speed, while the remainder of the Flames defencemen hover around league average top speed for the position (33.98 KPH).
Leon Draisaitl - 23.30 mph
Dylan Holloway - 22.82 mph

Thought this wall of text was the guardian.

Well put. Don't tell anyone I said that.
I just never got into that 128 character messaging stuff.
AND
I have a speech impediment, I can't stop talking :D
Talking about cups like they were alive to see any success. Lmao.
They all have cups, for drinks, for measuring liquids but apparently there may some physical issues. No they all wear one I am guessing.
When it comes down to it, RNH and Kane aren't great offensive players. Kane is a 50 point pace player the last two seasons and that's with spending quite a bit of time with one of those two elite players.
These players are an example of .... aging ...... sitting watching McD/Dras ....
Not about Pickard specifically. He's average, at best. This game should be as big of an unknown as game one. Only this time we have no idea how the Oilers are going to respond. This is the first time the Oilers have faced any real adversity under Knoblauch.

So I wouldn't be worried or concerned about anything. Personally, I'm also not confident but am very interested to see how the Oilers reach.
It might split Edmonton's concentration more. The need or the feel of need to protect Picard and play more defensive. And the need to respond to the end of last game.

IMO it will be hard to go against their nature to sit back like the Canucks are.
The need to respond will result in a few PP for the Canucks and quite possible more really hard hits on Hyman, McD and Dras.

I think that the splitting of Dras and McD is more to keep them away from big hits.

Every game the Canucks have more warmed up and ready player to go a long game than the Oilers, too many of them are sitting too long to just be able to sustain long time pressure.

This game will be a mosh pit, a dog breakfast a melee. I think a lot of chaos on Edmonton's side.

It will be so easy for them to lose their crowd and start being booed. If the Canucks can get a lead and pressure them for a period and a bit the fans will rain boo's. So much pressure on the team and now all the pressure is on Picard.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I really wanted to read every post in this thread to help get me pumped up for the game but we will be at 1000 posts before the game even starts, so ill just have to make some assumptions on what Ive missed lol

1 Brock Boeser
2 McFirstLine whines
3 Ekholm banged up
4 Oilers third string vs our third string
5 Juulsen

Man I love this fanbase :yo:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I've watched all 3 games this series start to finish (and haven't watched much NHL at all before that) and maybe I haven't had enough sleep but gun to head I cannot name a forward after McDrai, Hyman, Kane and Perry, and only because I did a double take to notice that Corey Fairy is playing for the oil. All I keep hearing is Draisaitl, to McDavid, to Hyman etc. etc. when they're in our zone.
I know Foegel because of the Pizza he offered up last game....Perry, yeah....RNH...uh...Ryan I think did the groin shot on Hoglander...I'm struggling here.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
LOL, this is at 34 pages already. What a time to be alive.

The stress is tough during the game. I guess it's too much to ask for a blowout game at this stage, but it would be wonderful for my ticker.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Hmmm... The Oilers are trying to cover for weakness instead of playing to strength (McDraiHy). It's smart and I think this will be the toughest test for the Canucks:

Kulak-Bouchard
Nurse-Desharnais
Broberg-Ceci
Ekholm

Pickard

If they break Nurse-Ceci up and get average goaltending from Pickard, then it's up to Pettersson to reassert the depth advantage the Canucks have and for the Canucks' second pairing of Zadorov-Myers to step up against either McDavid or Draisaitl.

Last, If McDrai is split up, then the Miller line has to make hay against McDavid. This is now their chance to overwhelm at the top.

Going to be a great game.
I just don't have faith in this happening.

I would rather put Pettersson on Miller's wing and try to win the McDavid matchup even harder than to expect Pettersson to be able to create something 5-on-5 without Miller or Boeser.

As for the Draisaitl line, with Soucy out, it's a smart move by the Oilers.

I do not have nearly as much faith in Zadorov-Myers as I do Zadorov-Soucy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see a lot of the betting sites have joined in with some of the Oilers' players in predicting that 'they're going to get to Silovs'.

It's like it's impossible to believe that a goalie with nine games of NHL experience can shut down a high-flying offense like Edmonton's for an entire series.

Hopefully the Canucks and Silovs can use this as 'motivation'. It's one thing to be shut down by a Vezina candidate like Demko. But being throttled by a rookie goalie would complete the humiliation.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So Hoglander was a healthy scratch due to poor play? I just assumed he was just injured. Can someone give me some context/info?

Healthy scratch as far as we know. Just isn't playing right/not connected to Pettersson/Mikheyev and is getting nothing done.

I just don't have faith in this happening.

I would rather put Pettersson on Miller's wing and try to win the McDavid matchup even harder than to expect Pettersson to be able to create something 5-on-5 without Miller or Boeser.

As for the Draisaitl line, with Soucy out, it's a smart move by the Oilers.

I do not have nearly as much faith in Zadorov-Myers as I do Zadorov-Soucy.

Nor do I... Losing Soucy-Myers is big.

Pettersson has looked bad on the wing. Tocchet hasn't tried Lotto with Pettersson at centre, and I'm not sure why, but that decision will keep it from excelling imo.

Karlsson-Pettersson-Mikheyev can create possession. Trust it and see what it provides before breaking up Suter-Miller-Boeser.

Last edited:

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I think they start their 3rd or 4th line to mix it up and try to take a dman to the box or sit out a few shifts.

Did you know that Zadorov was the fastest skater on Calgary?
The fastest top speed on the entire Flames roster so far this season was recorded by Nikita Zadorov with an impressive 37.62 KPH (23.15 MPH) top speed, while the remainder of the Flames defencemen hover around league average top speed for the position (33.98 KPH).
Leon Draisaitl - 23.30 mph
Dylan Holloway - 22.82 mph

I just never got into that 128 character messaging stuff.
AND
I have a speech impediment, I can't stop talking :D

They all have cups, for drinks, for measuring liquids but apparently there may some physical issues. No they all wear one I am guessing.

These players are an example of .... aging ...... sitting watching McD/Dras ....

It might split Edmonton's concentration more. The need or the feel of need to protect Picard and play more defensive. And the need to respond to the end of last game.

IMO it will be hard to go against their nature to sit back like the Canucks are.
The need to respond will result in a few PP for the Canucks and quite possible more really hard hits on Hyman, McD and Dras.

I think that the splitting of Dras and McD is more to keep them away from big hits.

Every game the Canucks have more warmed up and ready player to go a long game than the Oilers, too many of them are sitting too long to just be able to sustain long time pressure.

This game will be a mosh pit, a dog breakfast a melee. I think a lot of chaos on Edmonton's side.

It will be so easy for them to lose their crowd and start being booed. If the Canucks can get a lead and pressure them for a period and a bit the fans will rain boo's. So much pressure on the team and now all the pressure is on Picard.
I actually did not know about his speed he should be joining the rush a bit more often then.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So Hoglander was a healthy scratch due to poor play? I just assumed he was just injured. Can someone give me some context/info?
Hoglander is still in regular season mode and has failed to up his intensity in the playoffs. There's been far too many instances where he's failed to spot an open man, been unable to pass or hold onto the puck too long which has resulted in a loss of possession or turnover.

That said, I'd rather have him in over a guy like Lafferty right now.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Main board is boring, time to lurk here for the pre game nap

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I feel like today is going to be the Oilers' final stand. They will come out flying and put everything on the line to try to bury us early. They can't keep logging McDrai 30 minutes/night, that's just f***ing stupid when we slow them down and force them to engage against our big D-men. Also really dumb to try to be permanently taking risks when they're getting lit up on net, so I think if they're ahead after the 1st they will try very hard to shelter Pickard and take a page from our book to keep the game low-event.

If we can bag a goal or two against the flow, though, we could break their backs for good.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Remember when during the Benning years other fanbases liked our team and certain eyecare professionals were crowing that it was a good thing for the team to be well liked around the league, and really all that it meant is that not a single fanbase or person out there was threatened by the hapless Benning constructed Canucks roster.

Well, we're being feared now and it is so much better than no one even registering our team on their radar.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hoglander is still in regular season mode and has failed to up his intensity in the playoffs. There's been far too many instances where he's failed to spot an open man, been unable to pass or hold onto the puck too long which has resulted in a loss of possession or turnover.

That said, I'd rather have him in over a guy like Lafferty right now.
Healthy scratch as far as we know. Just isn't playing right/not connected to Pettersson/Mikheyev and is getting nothing done.
I'm no stranger to the assessment and generally agree with it, I'm just wondering if it's actually been mentioned or confirmed (or if it's been assumed due to lack of an injury report, which I think is valid too).

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Biggest game of the year is an understatement. A win tonight would put us one away from a likely date with Dallas.

Gonna be tough with Soucy out. I think it depends on how banged up Draisaitl and Ekholm are, as they have both torched us all series long.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
here's my trick to put up with oilers fans - block spector, follow matheson

the guy single handedly causes more pain to oilers fans than anything any canucks twitter hater could say. this is hall of fame glazing, it is incredible shit.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Remember when during the Benning years other fanbases liked our team and certain eyecare professionals were crowing that it was a good thing for the team to be well liked around the league, and really all that it meant is that not a single fanbase or person out there was threatened by the hapless Benning constructed Canucks roster.

Well, we're being feared now and it is so much better than no one even registering our team on their radar.
Pretty sure that only came from people overdosing on copium, trying to justify paying guys like Beagle and Gudbranson big money because "meat and potatoes" and "locker room".

Jimbo also brought on board real pieces of work like Prust and Dorsett, and extended Virtanen when everyone wanted him yeeted off the roster. But no one cared because the team was terrible anyways, not really because Jimbo actually succeeded in assembling any particular personality type.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
So, just a question is Silovs really our third string goalie? When our backup is healthy and Tocchet is choosing to play Silovs. Would that not hypothetically make him the second string goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad