GDT: WCSF GM 4 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Tue, May 14 | 6:30PM PST | SPAC | Thunderdome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
This is gonna be a tough one.

Twitter seems to be expecting a scoring explosion but I think both teams will dig in defensively.

Reactions: M2Beezy

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
So, now that we know Soucy is suspended. Do they play Cole on the left and break up Zadorov-Cole. Honestly would kind of rather see Friedman instead of Juulsen because Juulsens foot speed and discipline showed to be problems aganist the Predators.

Hughes-Hronek
Zadorov -Myers
Cole-Juulsen/Friedman

I don't think so but who knows. I would think they will keep their pairing of Zadorov Cole as Zadorov becomes the clear #2LD, up in Soucy's place and we want stability and experience in our top 4. Similar to the end of the season when we had line up changes they ended playing Juulsen on the left with Myers as the third pair.

Myers and Zadorov were putrid together so I don't think that happens at all.

So:

Hughes Hronek
Cole Myers
Zadorov Juulsen

??

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov Cole
Juulsen Myers

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov - Myers
Cole - Juulsen

Makes most sense?

I think it'll go as my line-up above but ... who knows it's playoffs and anything can happen. Now that I look at it that's two players on their wrong hand so maybe not. Maybe this is the way the way they'll go. I'd be worried about that Myers Zadorov pairing though. Both of them need a stable partner and struggled when paired together.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
Karlsson-Pettersson-Lafferty/PDG
Aman-Blueger-Lafferty/PDG

With PDG coming back scratch Mikheyev he’s useless (should’ve been scratched before Hoglander), take out Mikheyev and keep Karlsson & Aman in.

I would take Mikheyev out too but I can kind of see why he stays in. He's got this innate sense of having the puck bobbling around the ice without anything ever happening except he gets wide open looks in which he without fail nails the goalie in the logo. With his speed and lack of skill it's almost like you can just kill off a minute or two of the game with him out there.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I think Vancouver has the mental edge going into this game. Yes, Edmonton will come out strong. But I believe these Canucks are capable of taking advantage of the line-up changes the Oilers are making and the physical/mental wear-and-tear that they have inflicted on Edmonton's best players.

Reactions: kaczor

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Karlsson needs to learn how to f***ing dump it in deep.

Don't pretend you're a top 6 player and turn it over at the blue line.

Just dump it in deep and retrieve it.
I don't know.
These playoff games resemble Mr. Ego's system of dump and pray hockey where if not outshot 2 or 3 to 1 was the Canucks trying to score more goals too hard.

Dump and pray hockey usually doesn't win except this defence corps, the really big guys, are getting in the way more often.

I really don't like "skate to the red line and then give it to the other team hockey, then wait to get it back from the goalie" hockey.
Need to stay fucused on the task not worrying about getting revenge for the dirty shit they might pull to our top players tonight. Hopefully that team continues to show just how stupid they can be and falls for the trap and the on ice officials actually do a decent job if so
That is where having hard hitting large humans on the back end get even, they just let the Oiler player beat them to the puck and ride them into the boards, ride them not hit them. Having an additional 200+ to 250 lbs on your back and hitting an immovable object leaves a bruise just about always. And not a penalty either.
It's amazing that the narrative in the media has become that we became undisciplined took stupid penalties and have poked the bear without a clue or care for the slew foots, spears, two hand slashes, punches to the head, boarding and cross checks to the face that the Oilers have been doing all series to our star players.
I think that story line goes both ways. I think that is why the Canucks kept Zadorov away from the media, he is surely pissed, he takes a deliberate stick sandwich and gets a $5000 bill too and that play is totally ignored except by a few media guys.
Penalties? Edmonton 8, Vancouver 6 so far.
Showing their true colours what a mostly pathetic group (Simpson Botterill Whitney Button Spector) you all suck. At least Gazdic hasn't tried hiding his homerism and is basically a roster player which makes it all that much funnier that Bieksa might even be a bit tongue tied now that they brought the Oilers heavyweight to the table and Friedman is already starting to kiss his and McDavids balls
The NHL got all the media turned into salesmen for the game for the most part. Some of those you named also didn't think there should have been any penalties at all.
The Hyman cross check to the head totally missed or ignored except by Zadorov, that's the bear they may have poked.
The media is also clamouring for a high intensity slugfest that will make the Bruins/Panthers games look like ringette.
This is the game that if we can survive the early barrage and stay disciplined that we can put the foot on their throats and have our superior depth take over. Need big games from our 2 Swedish Cs. Kinda funny that Knob is gonna rely on Calvin Pickard to pull them from the depths of hell we are clearly in their heads and i love it.
What early barrage? They have had 3 games to start off really hard and lost that battle. IMO the Canucks are backing off once they get a lead but can turn it up if behind.
As far as keeping their shlt together they have been doing that all along. Has there been retaliation for any of the stuff the Canuck stars have endured? Who stepped up when Hughes was slew foot, high sticked, late hit, Dras elbow on Pettersson behind the play, .... and the Canucks didn't whine or cry about any of that.
McD loses a confrontation he starts and something will change or should?
This season has meant a lot to me as my personal life has fallen apart around it. Thanks Canucks.
I can sympathize, sports is a distraction from some of the stresses of daily life. A distraction that has no long term impact on daily life except as a distraction.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Kris Knoblauch after last game "It's not sustainable to play McDavid and Draisaitl 30 minutes a game"
Kris Knobluach before this game "I'm going to double shift McDavid and Draisaitl"
Knoblauch will sub his goalies at regular intervals to give McDrai some rest.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
It's weird because they have some players that can score. RNH and Kane aren't completely awful. But I think the huge over reliance on the top line just takes their other guys out of the game.
Yeah it seems the other guys can't get in any rhythm. I wonder if there is any divide in that locker room because hockey players do have egos and thats pretty much a giant slap in the face to the rest of the forwards.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
It is a travesty. I would have no issue with Soucy's suspension if the other incidents had also at least merited some kind of attention, penalty, fine, or suspension. It certainly appears that there is a McFavoured situation happening here, and that has been explicit at least in the media: "You have to protect the best player on earth." Ok, but the Department of Player Safety is not called the Department of McDavid Safety. Soucy is no repeat offender - Kane absolutely is. And if the remit is to protect stars, what is Quinn Hughes? For that matter, all ratness aside, what is Marchand? It's beyond ridiculous.
Hyman came in late and laid a 2 hand cross check right in the head of Zadorov.Just because he is tough, it should not mean he should not be protected from malicious stuff either. Bigtime double standard .I hope he breaks that big beak on Hyman b4 this series ends

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Need to keep hitting Ekholm every chance we get. He's the only thing keeping that oilers defense from being a tire fire.

General Zad:
e6446adaf88305054ca19cc2d67eeba6-1.jpg

Jokes aside, let's not get ahead of ourselves, comrades. We all know playoffs especially when backed by a bunch of corrupt spineless zebras can swing the game the other way. Don't count our chickens just yet.

I can feel a 2-2 in my bones.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This is probably the most nervous I've been about a game since Game 7 in 2011, I was restless and tossed and turned trying to sleep last night, going to be difficult to concentrate on work. I want us to win tonight so bad and shut that team and their fans (and the media) up. The wait for puck drop tonight feels like an eternity.

Another Empty Netter

Jan 14, 2011
You know how to beat the bullshit? Win game 4.
We can rant about it now but whatever the f***, league is is inconsistent as shit.

If it was Quinn Hughes being suspended, then that would be a problem. We got the depth to cover for Soucy
Agree but with the inconsistency of DOPS it makes it mentally easier for players to run opposing players.

- maybe only a fine? Maybe nothing ?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
When Draisaitl is hurt it usually reduces his skating speed to about 25% on the back check. And to 75% when getting to loose pucks. But when he has the puck on the stick or its a PP he moves as fast as he always does.
They're gonna try to steamroll the Nucks with increased McDrai time. Pad a lead, then backoff.

Penalties will obviously play a huge part in our attempts to squash that and that's what I'm most concerned about. Especially with Juulsen slotting in.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's weird because they have some players that can score. RNH and Kane aren't completely awful. But I think the huge over reliance on the top line just takes their other guys out of the game.

Kane has been pretty bad all season. Collected a few healthy scratches and public criticism from teammates. Half of RNH points come on the powerplay. They just aren't as good as they used to be or people think they are.

Reactions: ziploc

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
When Draisaitl is hurt it usually reduces his skating speed to about 25% on the back check. And to 75% when getting to loose pucks. But when he has the puck on the stick or its a PP he moves as fast as he always does.

He can adapt his game to resemble that of Joe Thornton's who was slow as heck, but could draw 2 guys towards him due to his ability to pass with precision. What makes him more dangerous is he can protect the puck and shoot like prime Malkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad